Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Season

Banned

I've hunted them with longbows and recurve bows. Far from a foolproof method and lots of arrows stay in the trees.

Well - the Twinkie Done Gone is certainly one better left to the professionals.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Once I get the trajectory right and make the BBQ er something like a dead fall while lighting the burners at the same time, I'll have dinner when I get home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBb7KReY6Eg&NR=1
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Well - the Twinkie Done Gone is certainly one better left to the professionals.
    You mean....like Nora....and Rick?
    (Rick, has got to be a master of "Twinkie Done Gone"!)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I'll be heading out tomorrow for opening day w' the .22, but since OP wanted primitive methods.... http://www.break.com/index/amazing-flying-squirrel.html

I was actually offended by a similar video, seemed cruel, but with a lil improvising I'm sure this could be adapted for humane primitive hunting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oly View Post
    Once I get the trajectory right and make the BBQ er something like a dead fall while lighting the burners at the same time, I'll have dinner when I get home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBb7KReY6Eg&NR=1
    Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    I'll be heading out tomorrow for opening day w' the .22, but since OP wanted primitive methods.... http://www.break.com/index/amazing-flying-squirrel.html

I was actually offended by a similar video, seemed cruel, but with a lil improvising I'm sure this could be adapted for humane primitive hunting.

“Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I didn't even notice the first post. But that was the original that kinda urked me. I don't agree with sendin squirrels flying for fun, but for survival it could be adapted.

Don't worry ken I wouldn't harm any animal or snake unless I was going to eat it.
    exceptions are Mice, Rats, and insects
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

i have a friend who invented a similar sport by accident.

she was camping, and saw a squirrel on a nearby sapling. as she approached, it ran up towards the top. she bent the sapling down towards her to get a better look as the squirrel panicked and tried to run down, which startled her and she let go of the sapling.

i'm assured the squirrel was fine, wherever it landed. i did not witness the event.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

No sweat. Nora built those contraptions. She just likes a fling every now and then. (Now that's funny I don't care who you are).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Nora and I are friends. She a bit of an elitist and normally hangs around moderators and administrators. But for some reason she's taken a liking the Trax. She is a full ninja warrior. She is a master of the following martial arts:

Aikido
    Archery
    Boxing
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Capoeira
    Danish The Pastry
    Eskrima
    Exlax
    Fencing
    Hapkido
    Hari Krishna
    Hybrid martial arts
    Jeet Kune Do
    Jojutsu
    Judo
    Jujutsu
    Karate
    Kickboxing
    Kobudo
    Krav Maga
    Meta Tarsal
    Mixed martial arts
    Muay Thai
    Muslim martial arts
    Ninjutsu
    Prime Ordial
    Sambo
    Silat
    Ssireum
    Systema
    Taekwondo
    Twinkie Done Gone
    Wang Chung Tonight
    Wing Chun
    Wrestling
    Wushu

And no matter what you do, never, ever stare into her eyes. She can melt your soul.
    You missed out Origami
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Nora only practice that in the privacy of her own home.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

im like ken on this i think squirrels are brill ,and i dont hunt them ,they make cracking pets and i love em.

Rat traps and peanut butter. Tie the trap to a tree so only squirrels get nabbed and you aren't leaving holes in the trees. Hide's good and you won't be worrying about chomping down on a "bb" when you are eating it.

Highjack: Anyone know how to call squirrels with two quarters? I know, I know let the jokes begin but has anyone done this?
    My buddy said his Grandpa used to do it but he never learned how.

I did learn that as a kid and used it for several years. Good ridge edged quarters. I can call them by mouth about as well now.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I can call them by mouth about as well now.
    *Rick....standing in his yard.* Here, squirrel! Heeeeerrre squirrel!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RCKCRWLER View Post
    Rat traps and peanut butter. Tie the trap to a tree so only squirrels get nabbed and you aren't leaving holes in the trees. Hide's good and you won't be worrying about chomping down on a "bb" when you are eating it.

Highjack: Anyone know how to call squirrels with two quarters? I know, I know let the jokes begin but has anyone done this?
    My buddy said his Grandpa used to do it but he never learned how.
    I did learn that as a kid and used it for several years. Good ridge edged quarters. I can call them by mouth about as well now.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Sounds like there might be some truth to this? Do you rub the edges together or "tap" the edges together?

I actually raked one edge across the other edge. Sort of like striking a match. The ridges rubbing against each other sound like a squirrel barking.

I would usually find a tree or trees they had been working and sit some place where I had a good view and wait. If that didn't work then I'd call them...sparingly.