Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Season

Embrace adversity

I read you guys saying 12 ga and such things . I hate biting down on lead pellets that have been cooked into my food so I use a 22 mostly . Have some small game points for my archery gear . Have only killed a bothersome groundhog with that . I managed once to injure a squirrel bad enough once with a wrist rocket (bean flip) that I was able to run it down and stomp it to death . I don't recommend that approach though . I was lucky the thing didn't turn on me . My brother has harvested squirrel with a blowgun . I've been wanting to try an old style sling (like David used ) . Also have a 800 or 900 ft per second air rifle that I have been thinking about using . Don't know if it is legal here in Arkansas . When my kids were little we had some lighter than legal for deer hunting bows . I asked a warden about using them on rabbits . He said it is ok . I figure it probably the same for squirrel .

I'd try small traps, or for more fun a big bore blow gun with blunt darts, to save the fur. What's a good way to harvest squirrel without having to worry about the risk of plague from the fleas?

I could never shoot a squirrel with a shotgun. So many bbs. So much damage. So many holes. So little skill, how can you miss? A .22, blowgun, or traps would be it for me.

bow & arrow for me

Once upon a time, Ricks brother was out in a grove of trees hunting squirrels. A game ranger spotted him and caught up with him to check his hunting license. After checking his game bag and license, the ranger asked Ricks brother, where is your gun son? Ricks brother said, Sir I dont use a gun, I just ugly them to death.
    The ranger laughed and said, I gota see this! So the ranger followed Ricks brother for a while to see exactly how this works. Soon enough, Rickes brother came to a tree with a squirrel sitting on a fairly low hanging limb. Even though Ricks brother was already ugly, he made a horrible face that even scared the ranger, but the squirrel dropped out of the tree dead as a door nail.
    The ranger caught up to him and said, son that is the most amazing thing I have ever seen! Do you know anybody else that can do that? Ricks brother said, " my brother Rick can ugly squirrels to death too ".
    So the ranger asked, why isn't he out here hunting with you? And Ricks brother said, nawwwwwwww he tears the meat up too bad!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 02-03-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I do this:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Yep Keep Doing this and you'll Be Doing this
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    To Fail Is to Learn from your Mistakes and Advanced off of that Failure.

Wildthang - Two words. Ban Button. 'nuff said.

I was duck hunting in the bottoms once when a game warden appeared on a point of land across a slew from me. He asked me if I had my hunting license. I told him I did. He said bring it over. I said nothing doin'. I'm not wading that water so I held it up so he could see it. Then he wanted to know if I had a duck stamp. I said sure but I'm not bringing it over either. So I held it up and nodded his approval. Then he asked if I had a plug in my gun. I said, "no, I don't." When I said that the officer trudged off into the water that turned about to be about waist deep. He waded his way over, climbed up on the spot of land I was on and said, "Let me see that gun." I said, "Okay, but it's just a single shot."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hahahaha...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Wildthang - Two words. Ban Button. 'nuff said.

I was duck hunting in the bottoms once when a game warden appeared on a point of land across a slew from me. He asked me if I had my hunting license. I told him I did. He said bring it over. I said nothing doin'. I'm not wading that water so I held it up so he could see it. Then he wanted to know if I had a duck stamp. I said sure but I'm not bringing it over either. So I held it up and nodded his approval. Then he asked if I had a plug in my gun. I said, "no, I don't." When I said that the officer trudged off into the water that turned about to be about waist deep. He waded his way over, climbed up on the spot of land I was on and said, "Let me see that gun." I said, "Okay, but it's just a single shot."
    But But Rick, if you banned me, who would tell jokes about you!

Did you guys know that in the great depression of the 30's, squirrels were almost killed into extinction in areas of the United States?

I had no idea. Do you know if it was mostly from individuals trying to feed themselves and family, or a "group" of people harvesting them to feed large amounts of people?

Growing up here I never saw any squirrels, but the last 2 years there have been a bunch. Wonder why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    I had no idea. Do you know if it was mostly from individuals trying to feed themselves and family, or a "group" of people harvesting them to feed large amounts of people?

Growing up here I never saw any squirrels, but the last 2 years there have been a bunch. Wonder why that is.
    Randy from what I have heard, it was just individuals that were trying to feed their familys. There were many hungry people in those times, and anything that could be eaten was hunted. My dads family in Arkansas was poorer than dirt, and they ate possum, racoon, and pretty much anything that had hair on it! Squirrels were a delicacy compared to possums!

Hey, I eat those things and i'm not poor.

Yeah but you dont have to do you? Deer was also hunted almost to extinction in that era. The only thing that saved them was the remote areas of the US where most people wouldn't go!

And there were less people during that Depression...

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any really neat primitive methods for harvesting squirrels.
    !
    Primitive,,,, old fashion sling shot, hand made or store bought, either way cheap and lotsa fun. A bag of marbles for ammo also cheap.
    Doesn't tear the meat up and no shot to bite into.
    A few weeks before season opens, set up a card board box in the back yard, draw a target on it, set up good back stop and practice, practice, practice.

Most fun for me growing up was Marlin 22 Lever Action Golden Mountie with 4x Weaver Scope and shooting hard nose LR.
    Some folks like hollow points but hard nose leaves such small hole, just as lethal, and doesn't tear the meat up.

I still have the old Marlin and same scope that I bought when I was in the 8th Grade, about 1960. But have since gotten soft hearted and quit hunting about 25 years ago.
    Still don't mind killing a mess of fish though. Or at least it doesn't bother me as bad as killing the warm and fuzzy critters.
    Last edited by jerry; 02-04-2012 at 06:54 PM.

squirrel gravy over biscuits,,yumm,,heads and brains included

I only hunt squirrels with a bow. I make my own blunts using old shell casings I find at the rifle range. i can't think of anything more fun than a day of stump shooting/squirrel hunting with a primitive bow in my hand.

squirrel's ok, but a lot of work. rabbitts have more meat and skinning them is like taking a jacket off a baby

Skinning a squirrel is no more work than a rabbit. Their skin comes right off and you don't have to worry about loose hair from the coat like you do rabbit.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Skinning a squirrel is no more work than a rabbit. Their skin comes right off and you don't have to worry about loose hair from the coat like you do rabbit.
    Not the ones south of the Ohio River! Down here you have to peel them like a stuborn orange and the hair gets everywhere. Much of the hair is clear and you can not see it. Then when you cook the meat it has a fuzzy texture that feels like you are eating a tennis ball.

I try to be very careful when dressing out squirrels, touch the meat as little as possible and keep the skins well away from the meat. I have often been tempted to singe all the hair off the squirrel before gutting them.

I am sure that in a survival situation I would be less picky about a little hair, but eating fuzzy squirrel dumplings in modern "real time" just irritates me to no end.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?