Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: jaguars

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Wouldn't be a surprise to me at all. I haven't seen any big cats myself, but we are getting more coyotes, bear, turkey and especially deer until it isn't safe to drive after dark. I never
    saw a rattler until I moved back, none in all the time in the woods in KY growing up. Don't think I will see any unless just passing by. Sure glad I have an "attack beagle" that hates cats.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

On another overnight catfish trip in the same swamp "Pocalla Swamp" I was alone and first I heard the blood curdling scream of a Cougar. Again the hair is up on my neck and i am having a really hard time continuing my fishing. Then about sun up I witnessed an Alligator Gar of more than 300 lbs. Suspending itself up out of the water and shaking trees in it's mouth. Those are not native to SC either. This swamp has my total respect now.. We lost access after close to 20 yrs of hunting and fishing it to a newly built hazardous waste recycler! So sad! I'd give anything to go back!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Just, uh, out of curiosity. You were'nt smokin' those mushrooms were you?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

No surprise if you don't beleive me. Your not the first and I guess I have become like Coot though younger, it doesn't matter to me. I put the time in to witness the things I have and they are mine to remember and enjoy for life, some things noone can take from you. I could tell you more amazing stories from these swamps down here. This thread brought out some of the few that are most unbeleivable so again no surprise. Best thing I could do is invite you on an overnight adventure, I am game and the invitation is yours my friend!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Default re.jaguars

im origionally from south texas born in galveston,but lived on mainland around texas city lamarque,houston and been swimming in places that supossedly had gars in it but never seen one myself that i can remember and had no idea they could get that big,what a monster

Default re.jag

wow some real life monsters glad i didnt know that then i probably wouldnt of had as much fun

http://www.popsci.com/environment/ar...d-border-fence

Here is an article about Jaguars in the US from 2008.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29529179/

another from this year

You want me to come down where 300 lb. gar live, where big cats live and where alligators live? Is that the invite? Me thinks I would never return.....
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

but you would be helping the inviroment

Hey, Cowboy, thunderson wants to come down there.

Default re.jaguar

live in roswell new mexico now,the only thing besides these pestky alien low flybys is along looking farrot looking creature but was brown

Sure you can ride down with my family their all in Alberquerque.

We would have sightings of mountain lion in northern Maine, and no one would believe it until we finally found a (and I mean 1) paw print. we took photos and showed it to a wildlife biologist who confirmed it was a mountain lion print and asked us who sent it to us and why were we pulling his leg. Some people just don't want to believe.
    I know what hunts you.

Blog Entries

We have had the "Panther" sightings in Georgia for years.

Here is a cat that a guy shot last year.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

There was a big discussion questioning if this was a pen raised or wild cat. I think they finally agreed that it was a wild cat that may have migrated up from Florida.

I don't really know. I do know that if I saw one in the woods, I would not shoot it unless I was provoked by it.

I just read that this cat was an endangered Florida Panther. Looks like a mountain lion to me.
    Last edited by FVR; 09-09-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Blog Entries

I think what happens is when you are speaking of Pumas, Jaguars, Panthers, and even Cougars..........the cats get all mixed up. The terms are used and mis-represented. Jags are also called Leopards, Panthers can be black or have spots like Leopards, then the Cougar seems to take over when speaking of any cat that is smaller than a Mountain Lion but bigger than Felix.

Then when you start talking of melanism in the cat family, it all gets mixed up.
    Last edited by FVR; 09-09-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Jaguars and leopards are nopt the same animal. A leopards spots are not the same and they are built way diferant from each other. They are also not in the same areas. I run Mountain lions here in AZ. I have seen one jaguar and two black cats. I have called them black panthers. I was raised on the san pedro river in az it is a major corador for everything crossing the border into Arizona. A jaguar is a masive Cat in comparison to mountain lions. and weight wise they dwarf the leopard. I will dig up my info on the last jaguar leagaly killed in AZ. It was on the san carlos apache indian reservation I do know that. I have some great photos of Hounds in somewhat of a ground battle with another Jaguar in AZ it was not the famous Macho B.(named for his spots forming the letter B on his neck).

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    We would have sightings of mountain lion in northern Maine, and no one would believe it until we finally found a (and I mean 1) paw print. we took photos and showed it to a wildlife biologist who confirmed it was a mountain lion print and asked us who sent it to us and why were we pulling his leg. Some people just don't want to believe.
    They now admit there are mountain lions in maine and I've seen 1 in northern NH right alongside the Maine border.. me and my buddy were trout fishing in the middle of nowhere... you better believe we got outta there with a quickness... you don't feel that tough when you see 1 in person and all you got is a fixed blade knife....and a stringer of brookies that smell like dinner!!!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

MMhmMmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    Isaura Junqueria Fagundes, age 90, is the daughter of Eugênio Junqueira and the grandmother of one of my deacons, Paulo. These names probably don't ring a bell. Eugênio Junqueira was a close friend and hunting partner of Sasha Siemel the famous hunter of jaguars in southern Brazil.

One evening Isaura's daugther came to visit and she heard I was from Pennsylvania and lived not far from where Sasha Siemel settled down later in life in Green Lane, Pa. Isaura made a special visit to church to give me several photos of her father and Sasha taken during the golden age of big cat hunting in Brazil.

These men wern't fooling around. Sasha often hunted the big cats with a "Zaguya" or large spear. Isaura said her father Eugênio Junqueira was the only man Sasha taught to hunt them in this manner.

Here is a photo from her family collection, used with her permission, that she gave me copies of.

Sasha Siemel with jaguar and zagaya. Isaura believes the photo is from around 1940.

Mac
    Now that takes some balls!

Everyone talks about what to bring into bear country or to bring for protection camping but this guy went out on a hunt for a large cat with a speer!
    Mountain Man