Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: jaguars

Default jaguars

read that jaguars are or possibly making there way back into north america,there were some sightings in arizona and possibly in new mexico,saw some photos of supposed sightings in arizona.although they are alot bigger than a mountain lion and from what i gather more aggressive your odds of being attacked are prob.slim to nil.but still something to be aware of.has anybody else heard anything on this?

I sure do hope that they are making their way back. They stunk it up last year.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It has been reported in the news of late. I have a few personal experiences with the Carolina Puma. I have seen 2 at different times. They are solid black and I promise you your hair will stand on your neck if you see one. Both were at a relative safe distance. I have also witnessed one cat that I would have called a mountain lion when I lived out west. This cat was in SC and was very large at about 150 yds. I could not determine what it was with my naked eye. So along with a friend we closed slowly on the cat which was preoccupied taking a dump. As we got about 75 yds. I was sure it was a mountain lion. The cat knew we were there but was not alarmed. When he/she finished it's business it just bounded off in the swamp. Leaving behind a perfect cat pile like you might find in your mother in laws bathtub present was a large tape worm. Now this is an area that me and another friend duck hunt annually. I told him what I had seen and he called BS. I assured him it wasn't. That very same year as my friend sat in the dark waiting for me and shooting time to begin for our duckhunt. A mother cat and 3 cubs appeared almost on top of him. He froze in the dark as she meandered on her way with her family. When I arrived my friend was as white as a ghost and was now sure I wasn't BSN him. As for the Jaguar I haven't seen one only saw on the news of their supposed comeback. Be sure there are big cats in North America and they are BIG.....
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

They used to be native to my area of Brazil but now we only have mountain lions and ocelot. They are very big cats. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

My guess is they are probably exotics the owners released because they could no longer care for them or some that escaped. Just a guess since they are no longer native to North America.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ah but they are native Rick!

http://www.nwf.org/cats/pdfs/jaguarfacts.pdf
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Not any more. They've been exterminated from the U.S.

http://www.zoo.org/factsheets/jaguar/jaguar.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Classification and Range
    Jaguars belong to the family Felidae, which includes 36 species of cats. Jaguars are classified under the genus Panthera which includes four species of "big cats", the jaguar, tiger, lion and leopard.*

There are eight subspecies of jaguar. Jaguars are considered the equivalent of leopards in the New World, and are the largest species of cats in the Western Hemisphere.They are distributed throughout most of Mexico, Central and South America, while lone individuals are rarely seen in the southwestern United States.

Straight from your link Rick, I gotta disagree and the Carolina Puma was thought to be extinct but I can assure it isn't. It was just in the news that more than one Jaguar had been spotted - well actually they are all spotted!

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Default re.jaguar

from what ive read the best guess is they are possibly coming up through mexico,i guess back in the 1800s possibly early 1900s or so there used to be alot of them in western south western texas,new mexico,arizona,until they were thought to be all killed off.i dont have the info to back it up but my opinoin is they tend to follow a migratory pattern esp.when food supply gets low
    Last edited by thunderson5; 09-09-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: misspell

You win!!!

Thanks Crash, for lightening it up but I can duel with Rick anytime without the sore butt! Good music by the way!

Maybe the sightings were illegals dressed in Jaguar attire?

Hows about the Florida Panther Crash? I never saw one while I was in FL.

Isaura Junqueria Fagundes, age 90, is the daughter of Eugênio Junqueira and the grandmother of one of my deacons, Paulo. These names probably don't ring a bell. Eugênio Junqueira was a close friend and hunting partner of Sasha Siemel the famous hunter of jaguars in southern Brazil.

One evening Isaura's daugther came to visit and she heard I was from Pennsylvania and lived not far from where Sasha Siemel settled down later in life in Green Lane, Pa. Isaura made a special visit to church to give me several photos of her father and Sasha taken during the golden age of big cat hunting in Brazil.

These men wern't fooling around. Sasha often hunted the big cats with a "Zaguya" or large spear. Isaura said her father Eugênio Junqueira was the only man Sasha taught to hunt them in this manner.

Here is a photo from her family collection, used with her permission, that she gave me copies of.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Sasha Siemel with jaguar and zagaya. Isaura believes the photo is from around 1940.

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Hey! A Cold Steel Bushman!! (joking, just joking).

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Hows about the Florida Panther Crash? I never saw one while I was in FL.
    I've only seen the paw prints a couple of times, not the cat.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Now that is just awesome! Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I've only seen the paw prints a couple of times, not the cat.
    The odd thing when I first sighted the cat I refered to as a Mountain Lion. We tried to get another look. We found zero tracks in the direction she/he headed and we had the poo to mark the last sighting before it just lazily ran off. No mud though just sand and brush...

Default re jaguar

wow tottally awesome,really brave guy,now thats some real survival skills there,its like a real tarzan kind of thing