Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap light weight tarps?

Default Cheap light weight tarps?

A while ago I was looking through this forum and I found a link to a website that sold tarps for around 5 dollars. They were sold in different colors(blue,white,brown,camouflage) and the site was designed with a grid that showed the products and then it had different colors with sizes and different prices in each column. Does anybody know what site this was? I don't think it was survival based.

I don't know the site.
    But I would say that when considering a tarp, there are three things to consider: cheap, light, or durable. You can only have two out of the three.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

FM, that's got to be the best description of anything I ever heard, thanks.

Probably Harbor Freight:

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...tarp&Submit=Go

I have to admit that I do buy certain stuff from them, usally when I want to use it once, and it cheaper than renting.
    I do buy their tarps for wood piles,boats, bed of truck liner, etc.
    The silver ones last a year+ maybe, the blue/brown camo etc. couple of months and you are picking up stuff everywhere.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well, this site was on the top of the page where this thread was located?
    http://www.tarpaflex.com/?gclid=CNXh...FdND5godTgNDFQ
    That it?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, those tarps are cheap and durable. I wouldn't call them light. Although one said it was 2.7 oz per sq yard. That is still pretty heavy, but not much.

I have been trying to get a cheap, light AND durable tarp. I made one myself, and we will see how it turns out. I bought fabric at Walmart for $1.50 a yard. It was 1.1 oz per yard uncoated (not waterproof) ripstop nylon in the new ACU camo pattern. I made an 8ft X 10ft tarp and spent a few hours over the weekend coating it with silicon. I plan to test it's waterproofness tonight to see if it works, and then use it this weekend. We'll see.

Thanks hunter, tarpaflex wasn't it but its at the same price for the sizes

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I have been trying to get a cheap, light AND durable tarp. I made one myself, and we will see how it turns out. I bought fabric at Walmart for $1.50 a yard. It was 1.1 oz per yard uncoated (not waterproof) ripstop nylon in the new ACU camo pattern. I made an 8ft X 10ft tarp and spent a few hours over the weekend coating it with silicon. I plan to test it's waterproofness tonight to see if it works, and then use it this weekend. We'll see.

Good idea, what type of silcon did you use? Just reg. silcon spray or some type of waterproofer?
    Let us know how it works out.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Yeah, those tarps are cheap and durable. I wouldn't call them light. Although one said it was 2.7 oz per sq yard. That is still pretty heavy, but not much.

Good Idea FM! You got me wanting to try it! Keep us posted!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I tested it with my hose on Wednesday. It actually worked. I am taking it hiking this weekend with the scouts, and plan to take pictures of it in action. Then I will right up a post with pictures and what I did. But, basically, I took clear 100% silicon caulk and mixed it with mineral spirits. Then I used a sponge and wiped it on the tarp when it was set up in the yard.

Making your own gear and having it work is awesome! I hope your tarp works out.

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!1!

Ask and ye shall receive. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...219#post157219 Just sayin.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    FM, that's got to be the best description of anything I ever heard, thanks.

Probably Harbor Freight:

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...tarp&Submit=Go

I have to admit that I do buy certain stuff from them, usally when I want to use it once, and it cheaper than renting.
    I do buy their tarps for wood piles,boats, bed of truck liner, etc.
    The silver ones last a year+ maybe, the blue/brown camo etc. couple of months and you are picking up stuff everywhere.
    I'm more than satisfied with their solar cell products, barn light, lantern, electric fence. The solar electric fence has kept deer from my garden for over a year.

try bensbackwoods.com. they got some good tarps for some good prices.
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

All right so I got the sight I'm going to order from(http://www.tarpaflex.com/acatalog/Ca...ps3.html#a1395) and now I'm wondering What size I should get. I'm thinking either 6*8 or 7*10. I'm 5'3 and I'm hitting my growth spurt(Lol) so I'll need one that will fit at least a 5'7 person with extra for more room. I think that it would be better to be able to have room for storing stuff under it when I'm camping. What size do you think would be good?

It's all a matter of personal preference. I like my 10 x 10, but have no complaints with my 9 x 7. In a pinch, my poncho works just fine.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Do you find that with your 9 x 7 you have a lot of extra room or not(how tall are you)?

I'm 6 ft tall and have plenty of room with it. It's sil/nylon and fairly light, but my lightest tarp is the 10 x 10, but light costs more.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think I'll go with the 6 x 8. thanks

What do you use to cover your sleeping bag? If you use a bivy and tarp combo, the tarp can be smaller. But, if you don't cover your bag, I wouldn't go any smaller than 8X10. You can go smaller, if you cut the tarp special ways.

I found some tarps at Honk's dollar store (88 cents on Tuesdays) but not sure how durable they are.
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."