Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Wilderness???......Why NOT a FARM???

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Doug, tried to whip some reputation GREEN thing on you for that post, however it say's I got'ta spread the reputation points. Nice honest post.
    I agree, and got the rep covered......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

As I am at my "Place" that has been the dream for a lot of years, and slowly came into being since 1989, I can say be careful what you ask for.

The is a rural area, factory jobs are an hour away in a couple of directions, so unless you are skilled in something, you need a lot of bucks.

Local people make it partly because they have inherited the family farm, equipment, and life style...work a lot odd part time jobs, (apple orchards, tobacco planting/harvest, driving school bus or jobs at local gas stations, restaurants, bartenders...etc....But no one is self sufficient.

Neighbor down the road came from Chicago, bought this/their homestead, and went from working 9 to 5....to working 5 AM to 9 PM.....and commuted back to the city part time to afford being a homesteader.....their dream. Of course he had to Buy the Farm, land buildings, equipment, animals etc....not inherit it.

It can be done, but this guy bought out the last guy that tried it and went bust in about 5 years....seems a lot of people want to do the back to the land thing, then figure out they can't afford it, or too much work, have health problems, or in the last people, got divorced....and move on.

So when you decide on your dream, make sure it a mutual dream, or you will loose 1/2 your stuff.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well I am real happy here on my little farm, and I have about 2 acres of weeds and woods in the back if I want to pretend I'm out in the wilderness, or shoot my guns. I have no desire to be anywhere else but here. If I ever leave this place, it will only be after an all out war that I lost!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Well I am real happy here on my little farm, and I have about 2 acres of weeds and woods in the back if I want to pretend I'm out in the wilderness, or shoot my guns. I have no desire to be anywhere else but here. If I ever leave this place, it will only be after an all out war that I lost!
    What kind of weeds lol

"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    What kind of weeds lol

Not that kind, just natural Ohio weeds darnit!

I am doing both.

I purchased a piece of land about 5 miles up a logging road, off grid, and settled in to farm on a small scale, only what I need to survive and I harvest and forage from the surrounding wilderness too.

I love the peace and quiet, I am not a social butterfly, I prefer to spend my time with nature all around me.

So many ask me....WHY do you want to? My answer is..why not.