Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 3 items you need?

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    You can keep the canteen at home I'd rather have a good stock pot!!(boil water, cook,etc. I can use a hide, intestine, Bladder etc. for a canteen until then I have the pot!! Yeah yeah I know "that's gross". Just sayin....)
    Other than that the first two are a given.

I knew at least 1 person would say that.... My personal preference, I'd much rather rock boil in a wooden dugout bowl and carry the water in a canteen than boil in a pan and carry in a dead animal.... Me and my best friend have this arguement all the time he's on your side!!!!

Thanks for your answers everyone!!!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    Sarge I think that some people do these "scenarios" to help them "Visualise" what is most important and why. Look at the beginning of this thread the "3rd answer all had to do with water which was as it should be given the "scenario". The first few though weren't thinking in Quantity or quality, and some learned and adjusted their thinking accordingly. Ken and I both almost simultaneously said the same thing,for the same reason(Yeah I know that is scary I said so already) But the others hadn't been thinking about quantity, quality and multipurpose uses. Sooo they have learned to adjust their thinking accordingly. It just might help them further down the road.
    I look at it this way, right now my Camping pots and my kitchen cooking pots are (with a few exceptions) one and the same. Since I can't keep them packed and ready to go all the time. I have to keep them in the back of my mind "just in case". Some are just starting out and it serves as a lesson in what and why, as they may not have anything but household items. Or given a really bad true life possibility... Tornado,hurricane, Earthquake and they have to scrounge for what they need they have an idea of what priority and why. I.E. Your home INCLUDING your BOB is destroyed by a Tornado, but you and family make it out OK. What and where and why do you grab what you can and what should you be looking for? Wheeew! that is a lot!!
    Just remember: "Chance favors the prepared mind." My wife carries a lot more than 3 items essential for survival in her purse! I do also in my fanny pack! There is no one item more important than the other as there are FOUR essentials of Survival; not THREE!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Where are you going to get the dugout bowl? Make it? That's a lot of expended energy.

I like FVR's answer but since the parameters are "appropriate clothing" I'll go with the three standards; knife, flint, pot. If I'm lost I'm going to try and find a creek or stream and stay close to it as I work my way out. That will ensure I have a supply of water. Since I'm in "Northeast woods" the stream should lead me to a road or the shore, depending on where I am.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Also....

Here would be my 1st item; NOTE, it is not a firearm!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Now THAT'S an essential item!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Where are you going to get the dugout bowl? Make it? That's a lot of expended energy.

I like FVR's answer but since the parameters are "appropriate clothing" I'll go with the three standards; knife, flint, pot. If I'm lost I'm going to try and find a creek or stream and stay close to it as I work my way out. That will ensure I have a supply of water. Since I'm in "Northeast woods" the stream should lead me to a road or the shore, depending on where I am.
    I've made em in a day before... you let the fire do most the work.. I might add too... my canteen is metal and fits inside of a boiling cup/stove all in the same canteen pouch...
    Last edited by NightShade; 09-06-2009 at 08:03 AM.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Here would be my 1st item; NOTE, it is not a firearm!

Now THAT'S an essential item!
    HA ..... and it will help you survive!!

Just remember: "Chance favors the prepared mind." My wife carries a lot more than 3 items essential for survival in her purse! I do also in my fanny pack! There is no one item more important than the other as there are FOUR essentials of Survival; not THREE!
    Oh that's a given Sarge, If it were possible I would Have a Tractor-Trailer Rig.LOL Now That Would be A bug out Vehicle (just Kidding). But Like you I always wonder why it's just three not 5,6,7 or 21. I would like to see something like "what's the 21 most important things in YOUR BOB and why?" Instead of if you could only carry 3 items... I would like to see an explanation as to WHY that is important to them. It makes you think, and you know what they say..."a mind is a terrible thing to waste! Or is it a waist is a terrible thing to mind? Oh well....

Oh yeah I always carry at least 2 knives (pocket and folder), lighter And Fire steel, Photon light, and whistle.
    Last edited by pocomoonskyeyes; 09-06-2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: additional material

Consider this, then. While you are busy burning out your bowl, I've boiled my water, quenched my thirst and am trekking out of my situation. Quite possibly and depending on how lost I really am, I could be back at the truck while you're still burning out your bowl. I'm not saying you're wrong, just offering a different view.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

good point... I am always a lot more prepared than a knife canteen and flintstick when I'm out in the bush long term... those are just the items I would rate highest ... was curious to see what everyone else's three highest priority items are
    Last edited by NightShade; 09-06-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Consider this, then. While you are busy burning out your bowl, I've boiled my water, quenched my thirst and am trekking out of my situation. Quite possibly and depending on how lost I really am, I could be back at the truck while you're still burning out your bowl. I'm not saying you're wrong, just offering a different view.
    and I welcome your view!!!!!!!! I can always fill my canteen from a stream or creek... not purify it.. and worry bout dssyntery/giardia when i hike back out to civilization... don't wanna do it... I know some people who would... and if i didn't have my purifying kit...or a pot ... i would rock boil...
    I go on short hikes ..just an hour or two walk.... knife flint canteen I always bring... I'd be lying if I told you I brought a pan... but I certainly see the value!!!!

FVR-
    I also can't live without body heat, wool blankets work well wet and dry.

Good point... I always keep 1 behind my seat in my truck , ever since 2 years ago when it took me 9 hours to get home from work in Boston during a blizzard in what is usually a 40 min drive...... I like wool pants hunting because like you said keep you warm wet and dry... now that I'm thinkin bout it I'm gonna stick a woolie in my overnight hiking pack.... Thanks!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
    Say you were stuck in the wilderness.. in the terrain your most comfortable with...

Only need TWO: Super Sleeping Bag, A Northface Tent. There is lots of pure water, fire is useless, Berries to eat. NO Knife.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 09-06-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade
    and to clarify my terrain would be the woods of NH or Maine.. northeast woods...
    Just sayin'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
    Hi everyone.. I'm just curious about everyone's thoughts and priorities.... so here's my question.... Say you were stuck in the wilderness.. in the terrain your most comfortable with... You can only bring 3 items with you excluding the clothes on your back... what would they be?... and why?

.. O.k. me... I'd want a good quality, reliable knife I can trust, a flintstick, and a canteen.....

Knife will help me make anything else to survive..ie. shelter and hunting tools

flint lets me build fire quick so i can concentrate my time and energies on other things

canteen.. well duh... carries water
    In my opinion the essentials are water, food, shelter, fire and security.
    American by birth, Patriot by choice!

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I couldn't be lost here because I always carry two compasses on me.
    Food would be important because I don't do well without it, and I found out a couple years ago when I had to do an unplanned 8 hour bushwhack without food, that berries won't do.
    Matches or a lighter, I guess...find this hard to answer because I always carry enough stuff to be able and get comfortably stuck wherever for about 3 days. I wouldn't know why or where I would go without my gear.
    And since I own a Spot now that always comes along as well, it's even more of a rhethorical question.
    Actions speak louder than words

Cup
    Gin
    Tonic

Mischief

I would take

and a knife.

Ok, so that is 4, but man those baby wipes are essential.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Beer, Beer and you guessed it more beer. But seriously 3 items would be a good knife, a firesteel and military style canteen.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

You may be joking Rick, but we have recently found out that we are expecting.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee