Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The 3 items you need?

I would never limit myself to just 3 things however here are my 3:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by sh4d0wm4573ri7; 09-11-2009 at 10:23 AM.
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

Quote Originally Posted by sh4d0wm4573ri7 View Post
    I would never limit myself to just 3 things however here are my 3:
    I don't think ANYONE would willingly limit themselves to anything like this. However I do believe these are valuable exercises of the mind. What if you were taking a shower and a sudden freak storm hit and you had to recover from the rubble of what was left what you could? It is in this context that these exercises set in our minds what is important in terms of what we should grab and why. By sharing these ideas you can learn from others choices and see what, if anything, you would change. I'm sure that from this thread someones ideas have changed already. I know that in the scenario I've used I would not just limit myself to these items. However it does give me an idea of what I would look for,where I would look, and why that would be important to me.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

in the area I'm most comfortable with.. well, I could find a good enough quality chert stone to make any knives I might need, use those to make traps and clean any food I catch, so I dont need a knife.
    I've become familiar enough with the fauna to be able to find the things necessary to make fire, and cordage, so I dont need a fire kit.
    There are literally dozens of creeks within walking distance of here, so I dont need to carry water. I know of several places where fresh clean water runs out of cliff walls into the creek.
    I can fire temper any good hard wood and hickory is abundant, so I wouldnt need a shovel for digging, and I know where to look to find bait, and since I can make cordage I can rig me up a fishing line.

I guess one thing I would like to have with me is my field guides to edible plants, medicine, and trees. (if this "collection" can count as one item)
    A projectile weapon would be excellent to have, such as a bow and arrow, spear, slingshot, something of that nature.
    third item would have to be... I dont know... I think I can pretty much get by with those 2 items indefinately. I hope no-one comes looking for me because I dont want to go back to society! I'm not even gonna try to get out of the woods, in fact, i'm probably going to go deeper into the woods where people dont venture, so noone could find me and take my stuff. I guess I would like to have some fish hooks so I dont have to waste time making them out of bone (at least for a few days). there are lots of things that would make staying more 'convenient' but in a survival situation, the best thing you can take with you is KNOWLEDGE.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I would take Hope, Sourdough and thor. Hey, if I can only have three why not take the best.

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    ... there are lots of things that would make staying more 'convenient' but in a survival situation, the best thing you can take with you is KNOWLEDGE.
    Agreed,and point taken. However not everyone has your skill, nor expertise... yet. Until then we make do with what is at hand,yes? Even you admitted to not knowing the edible plants so well and wanting your guides. Others may need more substantial "Crutches" , and even desire to return to society instead of going away from it. I even felt the same as you once.

small axe, canteen, flint stick. same as most people though most people choose a knife not an axe and unless your in the dessert i have yet to understand this. after living in the woods a while ive found a small axe can do most of what a knife can do though maybe a little more clumsily however a knife cant do much of what an axe can do even half as well. like lets say its been raining for days and all the wood is soaked pretty deeply and you need to chop deeply into a log to get dry chips. or if you think you may be out there a while and want to build a good shelter not a little twig shelter and you cant find enough good branches on the ground cause there mostly rotten and many of the ones that arnt are to strong to brake with out a little chopping. thees are all things that i have experienced and so for my area i like the axe best

Here's what i would have.......

Last edited by crashdive123; 09-14-2009 at 08:24 PM.
    Prepared enough.

First, that's two items. Are you going to boil water in that plastic jug?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

sorry it deleted 1 of my pictures
    Prepared enough.

hey rick it keeps deleting 1 of my pics
    Prepared enough.

PM me the link.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I see three pics.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't.......

Now I don't it's an x. It was a picture of a swedish firesteel. I'll post another to try and fix it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would say:
    1. Knife
    2. Firesteel
    3.The group (Since this is considered "a group", rather than a bunch of individuals, it can be listed as 1 item... right, counselor?)
    INDEX1.jpg
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."
    W. Durant

ok now the picture is there.....
    Prepared enough.

It's a different picture. I edited your post so it would show up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

thanx that looks like the original picture that didnt show up.....
    Prepared enough.

The one that wouldn't show up had a red handle.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That scary music is playing again. Three pictures are there. No one open the door!