Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jungle Clothing

Default Jungle Clothing

Hi all,

I new to the forum so would first like to say hi to everyone.

Ok, down to business :-)
    I heading out to the Amazon to spend 4 weeks with an indigionous tribe, to take photos and learn skills from them. I need to travel extreemley light and can only take what is required along with my camera equipment.

My main question is around what clothing I should take with me, quantity, and any reccomendations on specific products that anyone can swear by. Also I have concerns about protecting my feet, so what are the best ways to ensure I have no foot problems.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Sounds like a great trip. Where in the Amazon will you be going?

I don't live in the Amazon, my part of Brazil is quite a bit south of there. We do have some similar conditions.

In my area (Central Brazil) we have incredible infestations of ticks and chiggers. In the winter months (dry season) I MUST treat my clothes with permethrine, Sawyer Military Clothing treatment to be exact. I have been bitten by upwards of 150 chiggers in a single long weekend. With the permethrine applied to my pants, sock tops, and long sleeve T-shirt, and DEET applied to my calves, forearms, face, and neck I get zero (0) bites.

In rainy season we have no (0) chiggers or ticks.

In the bush I use OD green, tropical weight rip-stop BDU's and a long sleeve T-shirt. They dry quickly and don't get too heavy or chafe when wet. You can expect to be wet often so choose clothes that will dry quickly.

I use a simple system for clothes. Damp hard wearing clothes for the day, the same ones I had on yesterday for when out and about. Warm dry fluffy clothes for sleeping in that get carefully preserved in a dry bag for when under the shelter/sleeping. It makes no sense to put on a fresh set of clothes each day as they will get soaked and dirty in short order. If they get too stanky then just wash them at night and dry them while you sleep or by the fire.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I use US Army jungle boots in rainy season. They let the water flow in and out. When wet they don't get heavy. The Panama tread doesn't clog with mud. They are light enough to dry out fairly well at night. A good pair of secure sandals are great for when in camp or night time runs to take a leak.

You must give your feet a chance to dry out each night. Give them a rubdown with rubbing alcohol followed by foot powder before bed and allow them to dry. Keep a tube of anti-fungal cream on hand and treat any fungus infections you might have before you go as they are sure to flair up when you get there. Anti-biotic ointment is a must as well. Put a dab on any small cuts before bed.

Buy a few extra pairs of high quality socks and always use fresh ones every day. Your feet break down due to the constant wet. That broken down skin collects in your socks where the heat and humidity incubates the bacteria and fungi that eat skin. They don't care if it is still on you or not and your feet rot. If you kill them on your feet and keep your socks clean you are always at the start of that process every day.

Mac
    Last edited by Pict; 03-19-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Just curious, Mack. Where do you usually purchase your BDUs?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thats good information there Pict. Who would know better than someone that lives down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just curious, Mack. Where do you usually purchase your BDUs?
    Goodwill is always my first stop when I have to buy BDU's. In fact I recently picked up two sets of camo tropical weight ripstops for a grand total of $20 to use as loaners for the course.

The ones I'm using now were donated by a friend but I need a new set of greens so I'm looking right now.

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

So, that was the guy's one and only post? Well at least he got advice from an expert. Interesting enough too Mac, I get all my bush clothes from a 2nd store, winter or summer wear. Figure I'm only gonna wreck them anyway. And that advice on foot care is topnotch for any environment I can think of, well done.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

retired American

That was all good advice from Pict. In jungle I wear all the same stuff except alot of times I wear canvas athletic shoes in wet season as they dry quickly. As for the foot treatments this is important as I have some fungus rot for 2 years now I cant get rid of. I would also bring a poncho, mosquito net and a hammock or tarp. Personally I tape my socks over my pants legs and also tape my shirt sleeves as it helps keep out mosquitos and other bugs, and I also keep a baggie of salt for the leeches and tape cloth around my groin and under my arm at night to keep out centipedes. Have a good trip.

and tape cloth around my groin and under my arm at night to keep out centipedes.
    Well that's certainly an approach to pest control.....
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is wrong on so many levels. (shiver)

I also like OD BDUs for the woods. They are inexpensive and last a long time. I've always bought from these guys and I've also been pleased with the quality. The sizing may be off a bit but they've always been good to work with.

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/jungle-fatigues.htm

I've also bought these from them.

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/tru-spec-b...olive-drab.htm
    Last edited by Rick; 03-19-2009 at 12:20 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That is wrong on so many levels. (shiver)

I also like OD BDUs for the woods. They are inexpensive and last a long time. I've always bought from these guys and I've also been pleased with the quality. The sizing may be off a bit but they've always been good to work with.

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/jungle-fatigues.htm

I've also bought these from them.

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/tru-spec-b...olive-drab.htm
    The pic that you posted yesterday suggests that this site may suit your taste for jungle attire:

http://www.fredericks.com/Default.as...ookie%5Ftest=1

“Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Just a question, Rick. Is 100% cotton a good choice for wet environs? I like the style of those BDU's, but was concerned that they may get wet and dry rather slowly. Thoughts? Thanks
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

It's always good to bring a hiking partner - you know - safety and all that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Not a problem for me in the Midwest summers. I don't wear them in winter, though. I always have a base layer in my bag along with a fleece jacket and a change of clothes. If it is a cool night, I can put on the base layer or just the change of clothes while my others dry. I've always worn the previous days outerwear even if it's still damp.

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    Goodwill is always my first stop when I have to buy BDU's. In fact I recently picked up two sets of camo tropical weight ripstops for a grand total of $20 to use as loaners for the course.

The ones I'm using now were donated by a friend but I need a new set of greens so I'm looking right now. Mac
    Good point, Mac. Here in Colorado Springs, there is a LOT of military... I was at the Salvation Army store the other day and saw a good selection of BDUs. I already have plenty, but if anyone travels through a "military town", its a good way to find some BDUs for a fairly inexpensive price.
    all men die; few truly live

If you chose BDU's for jungle wear make sure they are the lightweight ripstop material.

The normal BDU's are too heavy, remain wet, ETC. Underwear usage is a personal choice. I ditched mine as they chaffed, cause sores, ETC The baggy Jungle Utes allow more air circulation without them.

We also called them "recon Skives" as they were always sneaking UP on you when you least expected it.

If you have ever heard "don't get you underwear in a bunch" I believe this is where it started.

ALSO have dry socks, change when ever possible, if washing is not possible hang them from the outside of your pack where the sun can get to them.

In my experience sore feet and chaffed inter thighs can ruin your day or week.

A personal preference is the early VN issue green Jungle Utes with the slanted pockets. They allow you better access when wearing a pack. FWIW they are hard to find.

I also agree with PICT that you need footwear that allows air circulation and water to drain out.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Banned

I would also recommend Anti Monkey Butt powder for your nether region. Helps tremendously with chaffing. I prefer to wear CoolMax boxer briefs or an atheletic supporter rather than go commando. Ditto what everyone else said about change of socks, anti fungul creams(tell your doctor where you are going and he or she may hook you up with a prescription strength one) and everything else said above.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    A personal preference is the early VN issue green Jungle Utes with the slanted pockets. They allow you better access when wearing a pack. FWIW they are hard to find.
    Do the pockets snap shut? If so I think I got a pair of these not long ago.

Do the pockets snap shut? If so I think I got a pair of these not long ago.
    No the US made ones only have buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    No the US made ones only have buttons.
    Huh, well I got a pair that has snaps. It's part polyester, practically repels water, good stuff.

Huh, well I got a pair that has snaps. It's part polyester, practically repels water, good stuff.
    New to me. Do they have the GI label and Govt Stock number?

If so what is date of manufacture?

Always ready to learn something new.

The green ute's went out* when the Camo was issued. We changed out in 1968 In country. I think the US Army was issued Camo in late 1968 or early1969 (general issue)as they were trying to trade/buy/steal ours.

* they were still in the supply system. I don't know when the US Army quit issuing them for Rear Area troops.