Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pass around knife

Default Pass around knife

I have 2 Cold Steel Bushman knives on is the spear point and one is a Bowie blade, if you are not familar with these knives they are one piece with a holow handle , they are fairly inexpencive but have a reputation as good carbon steel knives . I though if we can generatew some intrest and get a list of people who would like to try one or the other of these knives , they use it for a amount of time and then mail it to the next one on the list. You could make small modifications are make an other sheath or a spear handle, maybe a smal kit to fit in the handle the idea is that each member involved add his or her 2 cents to the knife and maybe post about it and then when it has been around to all on the list we can draw for it
    Chris or sarge can lay down some instructions or go no go on it.

If this gets a good responce I have a few other items I might pass around (Gerber Hatchet with saw in handle some folding shovels)
    Last edited by HOP; 11-01-2007 at 08:58 AM.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Blog Entries

I've seen this done with a selfbow on another thread. The bow makes it's rounds, you hunt with it, then it moves on.

The USMC site that I'm on, we did this with the Crown Royal.

Great idea. I'm in.

Blog Entries

What's the blade length? I learned from army training and trial and error that more than a five or six inch blade is pretty useless (depending on the situation). Anymore than six inches is a waste of blade. But this is only my opinion.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Makes you wonder why the machette is the #1 choice world wide for geting by in the bush won't do every thing bit will get a lot of stuff done.
    this bushman is 6&1/2 or 7" I like 4-5" for general use but they do make on of these with a shorter blade may get one to see how it stacks up.

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

I agree. My SRK's blade is 6 inches and except for batoning I'd be fine with a 4 incher.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Blog Entries

Well of course heavy bush requires a machette, but on a normal hike or camping trek I take nothing more than my tracker2 or USArmy/AirFarce survival knife.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I have a Northwods wilow leaf patern in D2 and it has a big handle and a 4 1/2 " long1/4" thick blade that and a SAK Treker get it done pretty well I do like small axes though for the heck of it.

I would hope for a few more members to get in on this pass around.
    we take turns using this knife you may madify it or add something to it small kit what ever use it for a period of time and pass to a nother member
    after everyone gets a whack at the knife we can draw for it.
    This knife only cost $19 but has a reputation for being a good field knife.
    I may put a few godies in the handle to kinda get the thing started I think the only rule is do what you want to the knife but pas it in a condition you would would like to receive it. So far FVR is the only one in on it.

i'm in been hopeing to test some knifes out to find another good one

I'd give it a go, HOP. I'll be glad to test edge-holding and some more technical tests.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

FVR I sent you an e-mail for a address I will send knife as soon as I get it .
    Everyone who wants in needs to post "I'm in"
    Keep the knife for up to a month do what you want to it when you are done notify the next name and send it to them FVR will send to Wildgoth and he will send to mitchcheney when everyone who wants to is done we wil draw it off if there is any thing left I am sending the bowie style and if it is destroyed I will draw of the similar one I have.

Blog Entries

Cool Here!

Quote Originally Posted by HOP View Post
    FVR I sent you an e-mail for a address I will send knife as soon as I get it .
    Everyone who wants in needs to post "I'm in"
    Keep the knife for up to a month do what you want to it when you are done notify the next name and send it to them FVR will send to Wildgoth and he will send to mitchcheney when everyone who wants to is done we wil draw it off if there is any thing left I am sending the bowie style and if it is destroyed I will draw of the similar one I have.
    Yeah, I'm in!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

List so far
    1.FVR*

2.mitch.chesney
    3.Sarge
    4.RobertRodgers
    5.woodwose
    6. Wildgoth
    7. Beowolf
    will get this thing in the mail to FVR in the morning
    Last edited by HOP; 11-19-2007 at 10:29 AM.

Blog Entries

Email sent.

This is a very interesting idea, I am interested to see of it works
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    I've seen this done with a selfbow on another thread. The bow makes it's rounds, you hunt with it, then it moves on.

The USMC site that I'm on, we did this with the Crown Royal.

Great idea. I'm in.
    Hehe... Do you mean Crown Royal as in survival gear.... or Crown Royal as in Liquor? hehe. Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    What's the blade length? I learned from army training and trial and error that more than a five or six inch blade is pretty useless (depending on the situation). Anymore than six inches is a waste of blade. But this is only my opinion.
    And I heard that a hollow handle knife isn't much good under strenous conditions as the handle has a tendency to break. I use a 'pilot' survival knife with a 6 inch blade by Camillus. The blade is solid through the handle, leather wrapping.

However, I am in on it. I'll give it a try but I still have a bias on that hollow handle.
    Last edited by woodwose; 11-04-2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: On second thought, added last sentence.

i heard the same thing about the hollow handle the o ring can break under extremecold and even melt together with the hollow handle near a fire or any extreme heat

Woodwose the knife is one piece of steel the flat part of the handle is bent around to form the handle This is a simple knife however a two piece knife can be strong in the case of the Randell #15 and a one piece by Cris Reeves both over $300 this cold steel knife is a $20 knife but gets good reviews.If you think about it a skelleton handle wraped in cord is basicly holow handled but do quite well. I tghink that searching the Cols Steel Bushman Bowie will answer most questions
    Last edited by HOP; 11-04-2007 at 06:09 PM.

most likey this will turn into a huge thing with constant trading of gear oh boy