Thread: Surviving Disaster.

Blog Entries

Cool Surviving Disaster.

Just got through watching "Surviving Disaster" on the "Spike Channel." They were showing how to survive an airline takeover by terrorists, & a lot of it was obviously taken from the Flight 93 voice recorders. When I saw the movie about Flight 93 I felt that their was some things the passengers should have done in order to survive. Since this was the 1st time a situation like this happened they weren't properly trained. Apparently this situation has since been gone over & new training is in place for the passengers to be more resourceful! Not only was I correct in my assessment of what they could have done better, there was a lot more that I'd missed; like a "sleeper" terrorist embedded with the passengers to take out any "heroes." I do have a problem with this because any would-be terrorists be taking notes and could modify their next attempts to deal with the new training. Anyway, it wasn't bad; although I'm reserving judgement until I hear from some of you.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 09-02-2009 at 12:21 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Blog Entries

There is a very simple solution........Change the law.....if you have a CCW permit feel free to brings your firearm, infact we encourage it. Odd how many years we carried firearms on airlines with no problem.

I'm watching it right now.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

While carrying weapons on board airlines in Alaska may have been no problem, it has resulted in hijacked aircraft dating back to 1931. Between 1968 and 1972 there were 137 hijacked flights that originated in the U.S. That's one every 13.3 days!!!! World wide for that period the numbers were 326 or one every 5.6 days!!!! I'd prefer to keep my flights black powder free.

Source: http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~surette/hijacking.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't watch many of those types of programs. I am certain they serve a purpose, I guess I am just cantakerous enough not to want to take advice from "TV experts" that I don't know. Not a critique ,just my opinion
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

As opposed to internet experts that you don't know? But we're lovable, right? Am I right? Go on confess. You love us.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    As opposed to internet experts that you don't know? But we're lovable, right? Am I right? Go on confess. You love us.
    For a bunch of cranky old (and not so old) folks, I do admit a certain..... naah I ain't going to say it
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

See? You. I knew it. You almost smiled. I saw it.

here my problem with or with out training {this is about to go against what i belive in wich is HAVE EXPIREIANCE but...} we are americans we fought off the brits and won {over som dm tea-and more but tea} it is in our blood we hate athority well most of us dont really like it it we are turly deep own honest. now i know if it were some pepole form my neck of the woods there would be now way that a plane full of us would let some faren acented dude kill us all i mean think of the ratio of normal passengers to idots for waterevr ggod they are serving and there was a time in my life when had no hand2hand combat skills that i would definitaly had froze at "starin down the barrel of a 44"-CCR-
    but the the entier plane anit goona be frozen. Somebody pleas remind me but wasnt 9-11 carried out w/ box cutters?
    i aint trying to start a war here but to me when i think abou this i get frustradted and sometimes wish i was one 1 of those planes
    "I must say that, black and white as forms of speech, as means of judging mankind, should be eliminated from human society. Human beings are precisely the same, whatever colour, race, creed or national origin they may be."

Haile Sellassie I

The reality is all of us would have done the exact same thing. Some more. Some less. In the end, the results would most likely have been the same. I'm sure the folks on board were intelligent individuals, some with military experience. While it's easy to play Monday morning quarterback, no one truly knows how they would react unless faced with that same situation. No false bravado here.

I don't think any of the passenger's anticipated the planes being flown into buildings. A lot of unknowns and a very short time to react.
    -Jonesy

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I'm sorry but I, almost mid '60s now would never back down from a man or two armed with a boxcutter. If I can't take a man out permanently I might as well walk in the local mortuary and get my discount for walk-ins. Maybe we raised a bunch of people that think defending yourself is a no no and never fought in their lives. Now my only legal weapon on a plane is a nice hickory walking stick. Age, gray beard & loss of hair gives me an advantage, I'm just an old man who needs a cane to walk. A little training and carrying a decent sized pair in your pants is all it takes. I have plenty of training over the years and was taught to take out a man many ways for keeps. Easy to learn yet if you don't have the right mindset you might as well cut your own throat. Those folks didn't realize if you're threatened and no place to run you attack. Forget the cane that I prefer and I can improvise or in three strikes maximum disable permanently or just blind or cripple. The man is right, learn not to be a victim. Go to a pawn shop, 3 balls outside, buy two. Just me and my personal safety. I'm still around.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I have a FCCW that I grandfathered in from pre-9/11 With it I can carry on a commercial aircraft WITH the pilots consent. Part of my training I had to take to get it. Dealt with firearms on aircraft. Needless to say wrong shot and down you go. I don't think I would want JohnQ blasting away at Hadji with a .357 at 40,000 feet.