Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Regional Survival Groups

Personally, I think that's exactly what would happen if TSHTF. Forming community and leveraging off each other's expertise would be the better choice as far as I'm concerned.

The other thing that could occur, using your suggestion, is the development of cells. Small groups of like minded folks spread out over a large geographic area that could help each other should something bad happen. (not sure I like the conotation of the word "cells" but, you know what I mean.).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

it has already been said But dm man AWSOME idea
    now does any by chance live in central america? Since i live in belize {for now} i feel kinda alone
    "I must say that, black and white as forms of speech, as means of judging mankind, should be eliminated from human society. Human beings are precisely the same, whatever colour, race, creed or national origin they may be."

Haile Sellassie I

I live in Indiana. That's sort of central America....oh, wait, you meant....never mind.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Unless I missed it. I think another advantage to "regionalizing" is that you can specialize in what maybe needed for your specific area. Cold related skills, heat, hurricane , tornado, etc. Not to say other skills aren't needed or desirable, just a way to concentrate on your more potentially immediate needs.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by justinjedlawton View Post
    it has already been said But dm man AWSOME idea
    now does any by chance live in central america? Since i live in belize {for now} i feel kinda alone
    As of July of 2008 Belize had a population of over 300,000 people. Central America had a population of over 40,000,000. No reason to feel alone - just open your door.

Seriously though, the exchanging of ideas, skills, resources can start at the local level. While there are a lot of like minded folks on this forum, it may be you that is the catalyst to get people planning and preparing in your village.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yea like if ther were pepole nera BELIZE, central america i would really like to learn about the pickary ,warri {thes are kinda like wild hogs } traps {the ones that swing into you if you anit carfull} also knowing some mosquito replers {not the chemical one thes dm lauge at pure deet on joke there horrible were i am at} natural somthing that quechis or mopans have used for along time {the ones that might work for were i am} the citranela grass is hard to get here havnt been able to personaly identify it either just some thing i had on my mind for here in bze
    "I must say that, black and white as forms of speech, as means of judging mankind, should be eliminated from human society. Human beings are precisely the same, whatever colour, race, creed or national origin they may be."

Haile Sellassie I

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    As of July of 2008 Belize had a population of over 300,000 people. Central America had a population of over 40,000,000. No reason to feel alone - just open your door.

Seriously though, the exchanging of ideas, skills, resources can start at the local level. While there are a lot of like minded folks on this forum, it may be you that is the catalyst to get people planning and preparing in your village.

It would awsome if pepole around here {who have the knolage} to freely share it but the problem i have had and i have lived here round 7 yrs is that it is like living among leeches
    every time you want somting it is going to coast regardles wat it is u lokking for and my expeiriance with the nonlocals that liv here like me dont like to talk that much not to me any ways i think its cues there white and from the us and so am i you would think that this would pull us to gether as a minority group but unlike the states i have found thet this is what keeps most white skind pepole apart but not all whit skinned pepole for ex we hove 2nd german and 3rd German genration mennonites here and nobody really likes them but they get mingle better that i can with the other americans or ex americans.

Haile Sellassie I

But the is hope for me yet i am planig to go back home after i aquier my dual nationalty
    wich leads me to asking is anyone from the north alabama or tristate area or romotly aorund that area

Haile Sellassie I

i am not shure exactly when but i am dyinto caom back home and relaern english i cant even speel any more now i am afften to ask my wife hoe to spel in english and shes belizean and had to learn it in scholl but mostly speaks "Kriol"
    Last edited by justinjedlawton; 09-02-2009 at 07:32 AM.

Haile Sellassie I

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Unless I missed it. I think another advantage to "regionalizing" is that you can specialize in what maybe needed for your specific area. Cold related skills, heat, hurricane , tornado, etc. Not to say other skills aren't needed or desirable, just a way to concentrate on your more potentially immediate needs.
    I like that idea Pal. You are right it would help us be more "Neighborly" even,to help those who could learn a lot from each other. For example our 2 major worries here are Tornadoes and Ice storms,so we could concentrate on those. Whereas in California they could concentrate on Earthquakes, Mudslides, and Wildfires when it comes to emergency preparedness. That is a very good point, Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Personally, I think that's exactly what would happen if TSHTF. Forming community and leveraging off each other's expertise would be the better choice as far as I'm concerned.

The other thing that could occur, using your suggestion, is the development of cells. Small groups of like minded folks spread out over a large geographic area that could help each other should something bad happen. (not sure I like the conotation of the word "cells" but, you know what I mean.).
    Yeah Rick I don't much care for the connotations of "cells" either but get your point. I know there are a LOT of folks from Florida and Georgia. These folks would have a really good chance of having Major turnouts Even on a couple of weeks notice about an Event happening.
    The only problem I see right now is how do we all find each other? I mean other than starting 50 "social Groups"? Should we do this "regionally" say for example Southeastern US, Northeastern US, Central US, Northwestern US, etc. etc. or would it be best to do it by State? I just have the idea, not the solution.

It's really as simple as what Hoosierarcher did. He decided to have a get together and posted about it. As people expressed an interest, they joined in on the conversation.

Heck, I even set one up in California - Tonester just has to pick the date and time.

We've had two in Florida. Small turnouts, but enjoyable. As more people do them - talk about the experience - post pictures - more may become interested. Here's a thought for those inclined - since you're going camping anyway - why not invite others (again, if you're so inclined).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Maybe what Poco is suggesting is that we all determine who is in what area, so that if STHF we would know who to connect with....

For example, my daughter's competitive climbing is broken into regions:
    PACIFIC NORTHWEST = Oregon & Washington
    BIG SKY = Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, & Utah
    N. CALIFORNIA = North California & North Nevada
    SOUTHWEST = South California, South Nevada, & Arizona
    COLORADO/NEW MEXICO = self explanatory
    TEXAS/LOUISIANA = self explanatory
    HEARTLAND = North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas & Missouri
    MIDWEST = Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois & Wisconsin
    OHIO RIVER VALLEY = Michigan, Indiana, Ohio & Kentucky
    SOUTHEAST = Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia & South Carolina
    FLORIDA = self explanatory
    MID-ATLANTIC = North Carolina, Virginia & West Virginia
    CAPITAL = Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware & Maryland
    NEW ENGLAND NORTH = Maine, North New York, Vermont & New Hampshire
    NEW ENGLAND SOUTH = South New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island & Connecticut
    ALASKA
    HAWAII

The regions are then broke into larger Divisions:
    DIVISION 1 = PACIFIC NORTHWEST, BIG SKY, NORTH CALIFORNIA
    DIVISION 2 = SOUTHWEST, TEXAS/LOUISIANA, COLORADO/NEW MEXICO
    DIVISION 3 = HEARTLAND, MIDWEST, OHIO RIVER VALLEY
    DIVISION 4 = FLORIDA, SOUTHEAST, MID-ATLANTIC
    DIVISION 5 (and no, they did not save the best for last) = NEW ENGLAND NORTH, NEW ENGLAND SOUTH, CAPITAL

So, I am in the BIG SKY REGION, DIVISION 1. Where are y'all located?
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Yes Something like that!! Is there anyway (Crash, Rick, Sarge, or Chris) we could set up something like a "Social Group" but use MM's example of "Divisions" with sub groups within those Divisions, could be broken into "Regions"? That way people would have a better idea of who was where and where would be a better "centralized" meeting site?

Sure - not sure about the sub "social groups" inside them, but Having the 5 divivions that Mountain Momma listed (or even more of a breakdown if you'd like) as social groups is easy enough. You can set it up, or let me know what you want and I'll do it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm not really sure Crash. I would maybe like to get some input from some others before deciding on anything. I kinda' figure once it's done it's done and won't allow for any changes. See what happens from Just one little Jamboree? LOL!! Y'all lit a fire under and inside me. Just hope it doesn't turn into an inferno, and consume me.

for what it's worth poco's Idea sounds good to me I'm in and will help however I can.

Some brilliant suggestions. I like the idea of a skill swap rendezvous In my area.

If timing was better I would have joined you folks in Indiana.

I know of several possible locations around Elkins area Randolph county WV. In Monongahela National Forest. There are sites ranging from hike in primitive to a parking pad for a road condo. I'll start poking around this fall when I return from Illinois. Is this something others might be interested in?

Monongahela National Forest
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/rec/rog_...ound_alpha.htm
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mountain mama View Post
    So, I am in the BIG SKY REGION, DIVISION 1. Where are y'all located?
    In my office. Sitting at my desk.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Have you ever noticed...

How a lawyer can take a simple question and twist it until the answer resembles nothing at all the question asked?

Have you ever noticed...

Blog Entries

Oh lordy! I'm in the a##hole of nowhere division, on my own(sometimes). Sarge or Oldsoldier will have to come pick me up in one of those helichopter thingies! until then, I'll wish you all well.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.