Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frosts Mora 780

Blog Entries

Why doesn't Mora make their knives with a full tang? I've owned a couple Mora's and they all broke about 1 1/2 back from the guard. It is really unsettling when it happens.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

When they broke on you were you in an extreme cold environment? Have you tried the wooden handle S1 or S2?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    When they broke on you were you in an extreme cold environment? Have you tried the wooden handle S1 or S2?
    What do you consider "extreme cold"?

One broke in the summer when one of my clients stepped on it, temp in the mid 60's. One broke in the fall while field dressing a caribou, temp was in the mid to high 30's. I was cutting the breast bone when the handle snapped. The third one I didn't have a chance to break. A friend gave it to me and I turned around and through it in the river. All of them had plastic handles.

Gotcha.

Extreme cold is when I have to wear long pants.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I'm still wearing t-shirts, cotton pants and moc's.

How does the warmer weather affect your trapping?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    What do you consider "extreme cold"?

One broke in the summer when one of my clients stepped on it, temp in the mid 60's. One broke in the fall while field dressing a caribou, temp was in the mid to high 30's. I was cutting the breast bone when the handle snapped. The third one I didn't have a chance to break. A friend gave it to me and I turned around and through it in the river. All of them had plastic handles.
    Klkak
    The Mora's with wooden handles have a "full" stick tang, and I've heard stories of people sticking them into trees and standing on them. But the Mora's with plastic handles do not the blad only goes back about 1/3 of the way, right were your two broke. Next time I'd go for a #1 with a birch handle and you shouldn't have any breakage problems. The birch handled ones are tention held though so the tang is kind of free in the middle, But I've heard of guys filling them with wood puddy or apoxy and they've remained rock solid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    How does the warmer weather affect your trapping?
    The trapping is not to bad but the prices are going to suck this year, again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dross View Post
    Klkak
    The Mora's with wooden handles have a "full" stick tang, and I've heard stories of people sticking them into trees and standing on them. But the Mora's with plastic handles do not the blad only goes back about 1/3 of the way, right were your two broke. Next time I'd go for a #1 with a birch handle and you shouldn't have any breakage problems. The birch handled ones are tention held though so the tang is kind of free in the middle, But I've heard of guys filling them with wood puddy or apoxy and they've remained rock solid.
    Thanks you for the info. However I don't think I'll ever buy another Mora. Besides I'm making my own knives now.

It depends on the model you have, Klkak. None of them are full tang but some are longer than others. My guess is it's a matter of price. More metal means a higher price. But that's just my cut on it.

Here's an Xray that compares a few of the Moras:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Top to bottom:
    Craftsman
    Clipper

These are not $100 knives. Most are around $20 including shipping. Still, for that price, they are pretty danged good knives.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Klkak, no problem, I'm hesitant to get one myself. Good on ya for making your own now. I'm getting there slowly but surely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It depends on the model you have, Klkak. None of them are full tang but some are longer than others. My guess is it's a matter of price. More metal means a higher price. But that's just my cut on it.

Top to bottom:
    Craftsman
    Clipper

These are not $100 knives. Most are around $20 including shipping. Still, for that price, they are pretty danged good knives.
    Rick, send me a 2000 and I'll give it an honest try out. If it fails I'll send the pieces back to you. I'll even document what I use it for.

PM me your address and it's on the way. The 2000 is stainless just so you know.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

if you are going to blue it, try what is called plum brown. You can find it at bass pro or about any gun/outdoor shop. It comes out kind of a olive drab brownish semiflat color and looks really good on a knife.

sjj - If you think about the climate the Mora "grew up" in and the things it was historically used for then it had better be a pretty good knife to last as long as it has. I have read of a few (Klak included) of the plastic handles breaking but given the numbers of knives in use vs. breakage I would think it a very low number. Sort of like glockcops Glocks. Some are just going to fail. That's a given. You just want it as close to 0 as humanly possible.

My evidence is anectdotal only and I have seen no numbers to back up my opinion. Although, I have done some serious looking to see how wide spread the problem might actually be.

I Ordered A 780 Off Of The Site Rick Has. Got Here Damn Fast... I'm Impressed, Simple But Solid. And After Paying $14.00 Total I Wouldn't Be To Sad If I Broke It Or Lost It. Think I'll Be Buying A Few More And Throw Them In The Truck Tool Box And A Few Other Places.
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

-George Patton

Thank you.

I guess that's the thing with most tools. You typically want to invest good money in a tool that will last a very long time. I do that. But, at the same time, I don't invest top dollar in something like screw drivers that I'll have a lot of and keep them all over the place. I don't want one that will break the third time I use it but I don't need a bunch of Klein or SnapOn tools that will be in my glove box or trunk. And I'll bet everyone on here has bought hand tools at Lowe's or Home Depot. Why? Because they were inexpensive and they do the job they were designed for.

I carry a RAT-7 in case I need something big but I also have a few others that I know I can count on even if they don't cost $100 bucks. Just my opinion.