Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: your first car

Default your first car

M.M.s thread about her daughters first car got me thinking about my first car. A beautiful 1966 robin egg blue Opel Kadet L station wagon. It was 10 years old when I got my license. It had constant electrical problems. You always had to park it were you could push start it. But when it was running it would get about 35 miles a gallon.
    So what was your first car?
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Mine was a 71 Cuda purple exterior, white interior. 440cid, high lift cams and a 6 pack, pushing 545 hp. I could pass anything but a gas station! 4MPG with the 6 pack going.
    For those of you who aren't or weren't muscle car owners, a 6 pack is 3 two barrel carberators.
    I know what hunts you.

Mine was a '70 Buick Skylark,nothing special,wish I'd never seen that car.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

SWeet ride sarky, I love the old mopars. I know what you mean Nell, I hated that Opel wagon at the time. Even after all the problems I had with it my second car was a 72(I think) Opel Manta Rally Sport. Not the fastest off the line but that thing handled like it was on a rail. And the back seat wasn't quite as accommodating as the station wagon.
    Last edited by chiggersngrits; 08-31-2009 at 11:09 PM.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

71 Datsun pickup, red with a blue stripe so the rebel flag over the back window matched perfect.

1980 El Camino...man, I loved that car!
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Blog Entries

4 door 1964 chevy BelAir with a straight 283 motor, with air conditioning.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

'52 Chevy Panel Wagon that had sat in a garage for ...mmmm...maybe 10 years. I paid $25 bucks for it. It didn't have a starter, which was okay because it didn't have brakes, either. I had enough money left over to rebuild the master cylinder but not enough for the starter. Like Chiggars, I had to park it where you could get a roll to get it started. I sold it for $35, still minus the starter, and forgot a 4 way lug wrench in it that was worth more than the car. Did I mention the only thing holding it together was the rust?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

First car was a 1970 Fiat 850 Racer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

56 ford, i had to put the head back on.get salvaged parts to recconect the transmission. many hours under the old oak tree.seems every time i came off the shrimp boats,my mother had blown the engine.

1989 Chevy Silverado 1500 2wd. Its "Grandpa Gold" As My Brother Says. 350,000 Miles. Got It At 16 And At 26 Still Runs Like A Champ. I'll Admit I'll Probly Cry When It Finally Goes. How Many Got Attached To A Car? Mopar Don't Count, Everyone Who Appreciates A Classic Gets Attached To Mopar lol
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

-George Patton

1976 chevy vega wagon.140 4cyl. 2 spd. auto,great on gas,but didn't have enough power to pull the hat off your head!
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways,bruised,battered,and totally worn out,shouting "Holy crap.....what a ride!"

Banned
    Blog Entries

First: 1950 chevy 2-door $15.00

Second: 195? Pontiac Super Chief w/ flathead 8 cost $12.00

Third: 1957 Chrysler "Windsor" $15.00

First car was a 1974 Gran Torino with 68,000 miles on the 351 Windsor. Not quite Starsky & Hutch but it was still fun.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

1982 camaro. Red with a big black screamin chicken on the good.4 speed Automatic (?) maybe a standard, don't remember. Second car was the same year trans am. The trans am had way less getup, and got worse fuel mileage. Have always regreted the day i sold the camaro. Oh well.

1981 Ford Fairmont 2 door. Ugly as sin, but never had a lick of trouble from the v-8 under the hood. Lost it in a wreck while I was drunk. I let a chick drive, because I was drunk. Coulda done better driving drunk, but was trying to do the "right thing".

Blog Entries

I've never learned to drive a car, But my first motorcycle was a 1957 James(an extinct British motorcyle company) 125cc single cylinder, in blue and black. It cost £25 and once started ran like a dream.(I see a recurring theme of bad starters here) I also was careful where I parked it so I could bump start it if it wouldn't kick start! Oh and it was incontinent in the oil department.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

'79 Toyota pick-up. Was an old farm truck that sat rusting in the barn a good year before the widow decided to get rid of it. The bed and floor had holes rusted clean through, mildew all over the inside, and animal nests under the hood & in the bench seat. My dad helped me clean it up, patch (and carpet) the floor. Had to replace the hoses, plugs, radiator, clutch, tires, master & slave cylinder, battery, etc. I probably would've spent about the same money and considerably less time had we just bought a certified used car - but I never would've learned so much about vehicle maintenance & repair. Not to mention how rabidly I took care of that little white turd of a truck after I spent so much time getting it running.

I learned quickly, though, to hide the truck before I asked a girl out - and if I wanted a second date, to borrow a car for the first one.

A 1985 Opel Kadett 1.3 GL. My father had to sign at the bank for me to afford it.It was 5 years old when I got it,but it ran like a dream.You could put down the back seats for more "wrestling" space.Sure brings back good memories

A ninteen hundred and 62 Ford Falcon, straight six, three on the tree. Floor boards drivers and passengers side where cut down Stop Signs
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related