Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shovels

Default shovels

Hey all, Was wondering if anyone has come across any nice pack shovels. I have a coleman that will probably end up in a garage sale after this weekends performance. Its one that unfolds with a threaded collar near the end to lock it in place. Unfortunatley, when using, it quickly loosens up and with cold hands is rather tough to work the lock ring, any recomendations on a nice shovel, lightweight and easy to work with? Thanks

I got the cold steel what ever they call it shovel. All I can say is that it is idiot proof and tough as nails. One other thing, it's not very heavy and the side edge can be sharpened to use as an axe
    I know what hunts you.

That would be the Spetznaz shovel.

I too am looking to get a good pack shovel for long treks, and while I know that the USGI e-tool model will get the job done fine, I like the cold steel spetznaz. From what I have heard it is better balanced and more durable than a folding shovel, no moving parts.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Is the Glock Shovel any good.....?

I have looked at the glock shovel a bit, I like it a lot. It's fairly light and like the pistols, partially plastic but it appeared to be very sturdy. Has a little saw blade in it I think too. I have seen them online for as low as $35, not bad really.

I think Hoosierarcher had one at the Jamboree. I didn't spend any time with it, however. What's your opinion, HA?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The USGI etool is tough and heavy. If weight isn't a concern, I recommend it. But, there are a lot of knock-off look a likes that suck nuts.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I like the Military "e tool" (not sure if this is the one finallyME mentioned above). It was always reliable for me. And I don't think they are expensive.
    Here are pics of a commercial variant to give your the idea
    Last edited by Pal334; 08-07-2010 at 05:45 PM.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    I like the Military "e tool" (not sure if this is the one finallyME mentioned above). It was always reliable for me. And I don't think they are expensive.
    Here are pics of a commercial variant to give your the idea
    Yep, that is the one I recommend.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Yep, that is the one I recommend.
    Sometimes our Uncle Sugar gets something right
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I have the tri-fold in my truck. I also have the older version, too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

most brands of those i've used are cheap and flimsy.

i've had several surplus bi-fold ones that have held up much better, but i think the next entrenching tool i go with will be a fixed model.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

have you considered a fine russkie throwing shovel?
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

That's the cold steel spetznaz shovel I was refering too.

ah, missed your post. spetznaz rock.

i always figure any group who use their tools as offensive weapons are likely to know how to pick them.

And just why would I want to throw my shovel? I have a snow shovel I've wanted to throw a time or two.

Actually, the tri-fold I have is pretty hefty. It's a surplus shovel. I'll look later today and see if there is a company name stamped on it.

And just why would I want to throw my shovel?
    depends on who you're with at the time.

if you where putting up with somebody like me for instance...

Oooooh. I get it.

Looking up Spetnaz shovel. "Well, look at that. One side can be sharpened." (thinking back) "The jokes on you. My petri dishes are already dried up".) Hmmmmmm.

трахать Rass! these boy dont play around there killing with this sucker
    http://www.spetsnaz-gru.com/spetsnaz...g-shovel-1.htm
    Wounder if ther for real?
    "I must say that, black and white as forms of speech, as means of judging mankind, should be eliminated from human society. Human beings are precisely the same, whatever colour, race, creed or national origin they may be."

Haile Sellassie I

To paraphrase an old adage...Never bring a throwing shovel to a gun fight.