Thread: Testing and destroying my old knives

Default Testing and destroying my old knives

Hey all, some of you read my earlier post about finally finding the knives I am most happy with in the outdoors. Well, next I had to figure out what to do with the others I had laying around. I really wanted them gone, I dont know why, i just did. I thought about selling them but no one local wanted em so I said screw it, im breakin them! I basically just wanted to see what they could take. This is NOT suppose to be a "this brand is better than this one" type thing. I hate all these knives so I really didnt care which did best. I also dont care about the waste of money, my own stupidity for buying without trying. I wish I had vids but no camera. The three knives were a Bark river Bravo 1, fallkniven A2 and an Rtak 2. First thing I did was held them up at face level and dropped them point first onto concrete. Only one to have any damage was the rtak with a slightly bent tip, which was a shock to me, i thought the fallkniven would have chipped. Next I went out to my driveway which is rock and did a series of stabbing and chopping right into the rock. All the knives dulled with fallkniven being the only one to actually look damaged. The final little test, which had no real world comparison at all was to take the knives and bash them together, edge to edge! Overall, the Bravo 1 did the best, followed by the Fallkniven and then the rtak. The barkie and fallkniven were both taking huge chunks out of the rtak even when I switched hands (im right handed). The barkie was also chipping the fallkniven but never the other way around. Hope this didnt make anyone sick for wasting knives but maybe helped someone looking at any of these. Obviously the last test was stupid, but I figured the first could represent dropping the knife, and the second is what can happen when battoning through wood on that final blow. All in all, their all pretty tough though! Thanks

You said no one wanted to buy them. I guess you could have given them to goodwill and taken a tax write-off.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...html?s=ONRTAK2

http://www.crystalfallstradingcompan...ver-bravo1.php

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4216635

Or to me since we live in the same area.

They were your knives, and obviously you can do what you want with them (and did). I'm curious though as to why your opinion of the A2 changed so drastically since your introduction where you said you loved it.

Still think you should have given them to me for a full Quality Control review.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Or to me since we live in the same area.

They were your knives, and obviously you can do what you want with them (and did). I'm curious though as to why your opinion of the A2 changed so drastically since your introduction where you said you loved it.

Still think you should have given them to me for a full Quality Control review.
    Us. You meant "us," right, Crash?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Banned
    Blog Entries

Would be more interesting now if you gave them to Crash, and see what he could do to salvage them. The ability to salvage tools, and adapt them to new applications is a handy skill.

Quote Originally Posted by hope View Post
    Would be more interesting now if you gave them to Crash, and see what he could do to salvage them. The ability to salvage tools, and adapt them to new applications is a handy skill.
    I'd be up for that. BigB - send me a PM, I'll come pick them up. I'm continually scouring yard sales, junk piles, etc. for broken tools that can be put back into service.

Tell ya what BigB. If I can salvage them, we'll have a drawing to give one or more of them away to forum members. Kind of like Panch0 did a while back.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Last test wasn't stupid. It showed you how a better tempered blade compares to one that's soft. Not much different than checking with a file.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'd be up for that. BigB - send me a PM, I'll come pick them up. I'm continually scouring yard sales, junk piles, etc. for broken tools that can be put back into service.

Tell ya what BigB. If I can salvage them, we'll have a drawing to give one or more of them away to forum members. Kind of like Panch0 did a while back.
    Do it Big B!! I would love to have a chance at one of these as a Reconditioned blade, no Matter how small of a chance it is.(Still better than the Lottery!)

Hey Crash, sorry, i should have updated my profile, Im in pittsburgh PA now and the knives were already taken by another buddy of mine.

NOW it's time to get the torches and pitchforks!!!!!!!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

(Walking away with head down and a big Sigh)

Worst case scenerio man kx250kev's Avatar

Good info here...
    http://www.knifetests.com/
    Thank you Mark Levin and Andrew Wilkow for being our voices www.marklevinshow.com

Hey, It's your money but..... why???? I don't get it. I just don't understand irrational acts. I suppose a trip to the guys in lab coats may be in order for Ya . Just joking. I "destress" breaking things some time too. I just don't break up my nice knives. Interesting info there. Be safe, brother.
    Last edited by glockcop; 09-25-2009 at 04:49 PM.

BigB, just curious, what didn't you like about the bravo-1?
    www.runningdeerforge.com
    Custom Handmade Knives

Its Not that I didnt like it, it just wasnt for me. Out of all of them, it was the toughest nice for the test I did, just didnt suit my taste. I like a knife that excels at bushcraft type chores, the bravo didnt do it for me.