Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could have anybody.....

Blog Entries

Cool If you could have anybody.....

If you were in a "survival" situation and could choose anybody from this group here to be with you, who would you choose? You can choose as many as you want. I'm waiting to post mine later.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Wow, loaded question.

Why not just limit it to three and give the reasons why?

Blog Entries

Talk about a challenging post. Very psychological, did VW put you up to this?

What happens if you chose someone, and then they don't chose you. REJECTED! On an open forum.

We all have our "three", but are we willing to put ourselves out there? It's easier for those who have kept their aninimity, but for some of us............hmmmmm.

I have my three, I will post them after I wash the kids, give them a treat, tuck them in, and read them a story.

Actually, I have expanded to 5 for safety reasons.
    Last edited by FVR; 10-29-2007 at 07:48 PM.

Default know what's cool?

La Grange, by ZZ Top...very cool. Know what else is cool? What makes the post a challenge to me is that there are so many good choices based on what I've read here by other members of the pack. If I skipped someone that I meant to include would make me feel pretty bad, but heck....there's lots.

Know what else is cool? How is the person just for "getting along with" is a far higher priority than most of us consider. There's plenty of survival and wilderness skills in the pack but what if the person is just a big "a-hole".

Nell, Sarge, WarEagle, Volwest, Owl_Girl, Lumpy, FVR, Baxter.....see, I'm just getting started and I'm worrying about missing people I'd want to include. I know there's people I definitely wouldn't include too, but I'm not going there and just causing hard feelings.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Didn't we do this once before? It lasted about a week.

Yeh, Trax about said it all. I was sitting here thinking, There are 4, 5, 6.......... then I started thinking about the woman. Wow, we have some pretty tough woman here, not only that, they sure do know alot about natural foods. Heck of alot more than me.

Then I started thinking about that newbe who got upset with me on another thread, he would be picked because, his honesty would go far.

There are a few military persons on the board and if you know me, that does play a big part. From what I've gotten from gents like WE, VW, RIM, and a few others, they would all be good matches. Then you would always need the cook, well he ll, Sarge is known to make shoe leather taste mighty good and he always has a surprise in his belt.

The biggest problem I see would be coming to grips with "me." I'm 44, good shape and very, very competitive. I spent the day today operating a manual jackhammer. Yeh, and I enjoyed it. I'm the one who will take the hardest job, because I will push myself to the limit. This could be a problem for some. Could be a problem for me.

So with this in mind, my choices would have to be those that would, and could work just as hard as me, be competitive, yet not take it to far.

Then there would have to be the mental challenge. Would need to have those in the group that could have a down right good intelligent conversation. You would have to be able to discuss differences, passionately, but not to the point of a fight.

Many fit the criteria here, some however do not.

Meriweather Lewis , Wiliam Clark, Daniel Boone. Davie Crockett , Jediia Smith and Wyatt Earp.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Blog Entries

I'm new here so I'll try from what I've read so far.
    FVR, you are honest and seem to have good common sense and good outdoor knowledge (although most of you do)
    Sarge, seem to be rounded out in general knowledge and then some in survival.
    Jose Lobo, Owl Girl, Lady Trapper, Trax, NorthWindTrails, and Nell67.
    But those are the people I have read on the most. If I left anyone out who is good at survival or picked to many then sue me. This would be a good tribe size also as discussed in a previous forum. I think. H**l just bring the lot of you and we'll start our own community
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I'll answer this with no apologies. I'll take fvr and trax..

Blog Entries

WE,

Thank you. I can honestly say that both you and Trax are at the top of my list. The very top, actually the first two.

Your Ranger status has gotten me off my lazy arse and I will be starting running in the next two weeks. Ya see, that thar Ranger training ground is right up thar in Dahlonega and well, I want to do one of their runs.

Okay, a bunch of Rangers gonna kick my arse, but hey....................If I'm gonna get it kicked, it might as well be some bad arse Rangers.

best thing about mountain training was the blueberry pancakes, but i wasn't to fond of the mountains there damn chiggers, red ants and just plain mean ranger instuctors

Blog Entries

Talking I'm crushed!

Vw (sob) didn't (sob) pick (sob) me. (sob) Oh the humility of it all! (Jim Carrey voice. And I was going to pick him cuz I think he thinks he can play chess. I wanted to find out. Now I'll never know; now I'll.....wait a minute! This is all hypothetical! It isn't real! Wow! I feel so much better! lol!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Default I'd like to thank the academy

and WE and FVR for their votes of confidence (oh and Sarge...I play chess...bonus! I play badly!) but most of all I'd like to thank volwest for taking explodingears, hey vol that sound in your head won't be tinnitis or mosquitos, it's the whining....
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

lololol! explodingears. a reference to my anger problem im assuming? ill choose "whining" about world issues and doing what i can to help the situation anyday over apathy. you sound like a conservative.. eww

Default Conservative? gasp!

Hey, here's a little backgrounder ok, punkin?

I supervise a staff of 14 people, we spend our days fighting poverty, homelessness, racism, addictions, family violence and chronic unemployment for anyone in the community that wants our help. We also operate a youth center and one of the joys of my life is when I get to take a van full of "underpriveleged" youth out into the wilderness and show them a bit about what we've been yacking about here.

I also do cross-cultural workshops to teach mainstream society about what native society was really about and still is about, cuz that's part of my personal background and personal life. That's one of the high points of my job too.

We also host community events like elders dinners, kids christmas and halloween parties and community cleanup days, trying to encourage everyone to treat the earth a little nicer. Before I did all this I was just an outlaw mostly and that thinking still hangs over my head a lot. I can't afford to be political and I'm a little to friggin' busy to save the planet, but I'm working on my little piece. I don't have time to whine about it, I just do it, so if you want to do something....fill your boots.

If the question was who I would choose for a frontal assault on a well defended position,then I would pick differently.However,since we're dealing with an unknown situation for unknown duration I choose the following.
    FVR-for his experience and honesty,and especially for his sense of humor
    owlgirl-forager
    nell67-caregiver
    If I could choose more then HOP would be next.

Blog Entries

Sheeee... it, I forgot WarEagle69 and Mitch, yeah you'd be there. But how many can we choose? If only 3, I'd go wit Mitch... NorthWindTrails... FVR if I could add one more then WarEagle69... but I'm new here and keep changing my mind, maybe that means...? I dunno.
    And thank you Volwest, damn I forgot you, see you were quiet here and stalked up on us But I do like your rantings just never had enough time t finish one, lol hee hee... I kill myself... lol
    Just joking.
    Beo,
    Last edited by Beo; 10-31-2007 at 09:29 AM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

Cool No limit.

If you check out the very 1st post I posted you'll all see I said you can pick as many as you want from our membership. That leaves out Crockett and Boone, BTW.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Okay then... here goes.
    FVR, Sarge, Jose Lobo, Owl Girl, Lady Trapper, Trax, NorthWindTrails, Nell67, WarEagle69 and Mitch, Volwest and HOP, and Explodingearth (for the entertainment value he'd give me arguing with FVR) and then I'd sart my own wilderness nation called BEOWULFSKATCHEWANISTAN
    Last edited by Beo; 10-31-2007 at 12:12 PM.

Traxistan is easier to spell, dude

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm........

Quote Originally Posted by volwest View Post

Picking FVR would probably be the most comfortable "choice"...but is it really a choice ? And what is this choice based on ? What do we perceive from FVR that would make this choice valid ? And what do we anticipate that FVR could resolve ? FVR then becomes a tool to appease your own lack of presence...your own anticipations. You make him your "prisoner", your "slave", for you yourself are a slave to your past, present in every decision you make. If you had ask to "pick" a friend, i would have answered differently. But you asked to pick a tool that would maintain my own fears...my own short comings, my own laziness, and in doing so, making me the slave of my own comfort.

Choices are illusions...
    I'd like to see anybody try and make a slave out of FVR. Instead of a "slave" I think they were picking a fellow survivalist that would help insure there safety. Are you saying it is better for you to be "uncomfortable"? Wouldn't it be a "2-way street" with both parties pitching in? I think it would.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin