Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw as survival tool

Default Chainsaw as survival tool

New here, any one have a chainsaw as part of there survival gear? I have a Stihl ready,along with my other stuff.

Stihl I have one but It's not part of my BOB if that's what you mean.
    Also if you wouldn't mind would you please introduce yourself in the introduction section? There is a "sticky" there that will serve as a guide to providing Info about yourself. It's not required but it is common Courtesy here. Kinda' lets everyone know something about you and where you are coming from as well as your "skill level". Thank you!

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have about 16 chainsaws. Of all the tools that can turn on you like a woman spurned, it is the chainsaw. Even loggers with 40 years experience can (and DO) get hurt bad, in a mega-second. Love'em, but respect'em, or they can put a man into survival mode in a milla-second.

Hey Stihl - Why don't you cut your way over to our Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think I've found a new game to play. Sign on with a new screen name, make a new thread, and see how long it takes for someone to send me to the introduction section.

Any takers for an over/under?

I can see someone is just itching to be shipped to purgatory. It does have a great bar, though. By the way, did you ever do an introduction?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Having a chainsaw could have some survival potential. It is probably too heavy to carry around, so you are not likely to have it in your pocket if you are dropped into a survival situation with no time to prepare.

BUT if you had a chainsaw with you when you got stuck out in the booger woods, it would certainly serve you well. Aside from the obvious uses of cutting trees / wood, you could cannibalize the parts for many more uses. The fuel would come in handy in starting fires or making torches, and the spark plug could give you some spark for ignition of fire.
    I imagine that the even a broken chain could be used for cutting, kind of like a wiresaw.
    There are probably other parts that could be utilized. Any thoughts?
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

MMhmMmmm

In winter I keep my 16" Husqvarna in my truck box to make sure I can get home. Trees dropping and blocking roads are very common in winter in the mountains.
    Mountain Man

Quote Originally Posted by ptw
    the spark plug could give you some spark for ignition of fire.
    I've seen that done on a lot of occasions. Mostly, older lawnmowers with the ground bar on the spark plug. One slip of the finger and you had all kinds of fire blowin' through you. And, if you had enough parts, you could probably build one of these...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

...just don't forget the jerry cans with the fuel mix and the bar oil when bugging out.
    Actions speak louder than words

I think you're gonna need some help with the gear.

I have several and like the other "assets" they are deployed in several places.
    City house, cabin, trailers, trucks.

I don't really think of them as a BOB tool, but an everyday tool.
    Cabin has wood heat as does the garage/shop at the city house.
    Most are Poulans, and are carried in cases, so as to keep the spare fuel (1/2 gal), bar oil and spare chain in one place, and keep the bar oil from getting all over the place.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Chainsaws are great for lopping the heads off zombies too.

Favorite brands = stihl, husqvarna, and jonsered, Personally I think poulan's suck.

All based on personal experience.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Well there Mr. Trax....I'll have you know that I've owned three Poulans.....and I agree with you. Yeah, I'm a slow learner.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I guess I just had good luck with mine, so as long as they still run, I'll keep using them.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My downfall was probably buying the cheaper big box models. I know a few professional loggers that swear by them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You know, lopping heads off zombies isn't, technically destroying the brain, so I'm not sure that's a workable solution. I'd hate to have a headless body after me. Of course, the up side is he won't be able to see me.

"Left! Left! Left dang it! Oh, look. He's gettin' away."

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You know, lopping heads off zombies isn't, technically destroying the brain, so I'm not sure that's a workable solution. I'd hate to have a headless body after me.
    Hey....wait a minute.....I thought it was destroy or disconnect.
    Can we get conformation on this.....heck...it could be important!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Chainsaws are just stubborn creatures you have to take excellent care of them and you'll still need to know the little tricks required that vary with each and every one. I have owned Poulan, Craftsman, and Husky. Current is a brand new Husky and it gives me fits at the worst times.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I have validated that kickback = not good. I'll work on the zombie thing. Probably less dangerous anyway.