Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your longest shot

Remington 870, 22" rifled slug barrel 3" Federal .50 cal sabot slugs are sweet at 100yds. iron sights!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    I gotta ask....how much bullet drop, does a .50 BMG have, at that distance?
    Good question The scope on mine is "computer sighting enhanced" what that basically means is the scope has a built in range finder that calculates and automatically adjusts for windage and elevation. So i can only give you an "old school" estimate. At 1-1 1/2 miles using military grade ammo you should/would get an aproximate 6"-10" drop. That is a very "generic" number however because of a multitude of factors. Your elevation, weather (humidity etc) may things will affect the bullet trajectory. Now that I have given you a rambling answer I hope I gave you the answer you wanted without to much confusion! Oh.... never mind your not Rick so forget my asking if I confused you. LOL

Sorry still can't figure out how to paste a pic. So if you google the army M107 sniper rifle you can see the "little brother" to my barrett mine is basically the same weapon except mine is longer (almost 6' long) and mine is the 10 round semi auto. But looks wise not including the scope. they are pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Good question The scope on mine is "computer sighting enhanced" what that basically means is the scope has a built in range finder that calculates and automatically adjusts for windage and elevation. So i can only give you an "old school" estimate. At 1-1 1/2 miles using military grade ammo you should/would get an aproximate 6"-10" drop. That is a very "generic" number however because of a multitude of factors. Your elevation, weather (humidity etc) may things will affect the bullet trajectory. Now that I have given you a rambling answer I hope I gave you the answer you wanted without to much confusion! Oh.... never mind your not Rick so forget my asking if I confused you. LOL
    OK...good thing you used the computer! LOL
    I did some digging, and found this.

The longest range recorded for a sniper kill currently stands at 2,430 meters (2,657 yd, or 1.51 miles), accomplished by Master Corporal Rob Furlong, a sniper from Newfoundland, Canada, in March 2002 during the war in Afghanistan. Furlong made this record-breaking kill while he was participating in Operation Anaconda. He was a member of the 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI). To make the kill, he used a .50 caliber BMG (12.7 mm) McMillan TAC-50 bolt-action rifle.[11]

Utilizing a ballistic calculator, it is possible to reproduce the trajectory and time-in-flight of such a ranged shot. With a nominal muzzle velocity of 2,910 feet (890 m) per second for the .50 BMG M1022 Long Range Sniper[12] round, and an estimated ballistic coefficient of 1.05[13], such a shot fired at the estimated altitude of 9,000 feet (2,700 m) for the Shahi-Kot_Valley would have taken 3.92 seconds to reach the target, and drop 155.8 feet (47.5 m) during flight.
    - G.M. G., Montreal, CANADA, 20/8/2009 16:06
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Oh, sure. Everyone remembers HIM for making the shot but what about the guy on the other end? Huh? Anyone remember his name? Noooooooooo.

OS - Let me get this straight. You're the guy that is worried about confusing me and you can't post a pic? Muhahahahahahahahahahahahahah.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh, sure. Everyone remembers HIM for making the shot but what about the guy on the other end? Huh? Anyone remember his name? Noooooooooo.

OS - Let me get this straight. You're the guy that is worried about confusing me and you can't post a pic? Muhahahahahahahahahahahahahah.
    Uhhhh Rick.......he was also 155 feet off, on his bullet drop calc.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

I am fortunate that my brother is a member of a 500 meter range. We get to do extended long range shooting on a fairly regular basis.

My brother picked up a Remington Model 7 in .223 this winter and put a Leupold 2x7 on it. We had it up on the 500 meter range and it did surprisingly well. That rifle is a joy to shoot.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

We were shooting clay birds that someone had left on the berm out by the ram. You can see the birds in this shot as a cluster of dots just under the cross hairs. Using the thick part of the reticule we had to aim up about 2 feet and compensate 1.5 feet for wind. Magnificaton is 7x.

This is the view looking back at the firing line from the ram.

Yes, once we got dialed in we were hitting clays at 500 meters. At that range with the wind it was alot to ask of a .223 but that little rifle could pull it off.

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Uhhhh Rick.......he was also 155 feet off, on his bullet drop calc.
    Can't figure where they came up with their calculations. That is way of IMHO by their calculation the muzzle trajectory or should i say elevation would be about 50 degrees or more. Trying to figure off the top of my head, I could calculate it with a "range scale" However using the scope I have you by it's reticule would put your aim just above the top of a persons head to get a upper chest impact. But if you ever get up in my area we can do some shooting and get better figures. Maybe Rick can be a ...... I mean find us some good targets
    Last edited by oldsoldier; 08-25-2009 at 03:23 PM.

I'm guessing someone was really upset when they got back and found out their clay birds were all shot up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

No, they were long abandoned. Leaving intact clay birds on a berm at a rifle range, even at 500 meters is no way to ensure they are there when you get back.

It's the same deal as leaving leftover Chinese in the fridge at work. You should have no reasonable expectation of ever seeing it again.

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    No, they were long abandoned. Leaving intact clay birds on a berm at a rifle range, even at 500 meters is no way to ensure they are there when you get back.

It's the same deal as leaving leftover Chinese in the fridge at work. You should have no reasonable expectation of ever seeing it again.

Mac
    MAC darn fine shooting if I ever get to your area or you to mine I wanna burn some ammo with you!!! I'll spring for the ammo AND the beer

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    Yes, once we got dialed in we were hitting clays at 500 meters. At that range with the wind it was alot to ask of a .223 but that little rifle could pull it off.
    Mac
    LOL....it's a lot to ask, of a shooter!

I've shot at bowling pins, at 500 yds. It sounds easy enough! LOL

Good shootin'!
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

LOL....it's a lot to ask, of a shooter!

Good shootin'!
    Man, you must be a terrible shot.

“Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

2D bowling pins at 500 yards wouldn't be no easy shot with a standard scoped rifle. I don't think I would try it if I had to bet money on the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Can't figure where they came up with their calculations. That is way of IMHO by their calculation the muzzle trajectory or should i say elevation would be about 50 degrees or more. Trying to figure off the top of my head, I could calculate it with a "range scale" However using the scope I have you by it's reticule would put your aim just above the top of a persons head to get a upper chest impact. But if you ever get up in my area we can do some shooting and get better figures. Maybe Rick can be a ...... I mean find us some good targets
    155.8' drop at 2,657yds works out to about 1 degree 8 minutes, if I figured right. (But it would be more fun, to shoot and see!)
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

........if I figured right.
    Well, there's a first for everything I guess.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Ken, I think 2 dumb was trying to say he earned a degree in 8 minutes. Must be one of those online degree's. Anyway congrats 2 dumb! What's the degree in?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Ken, I think 2 dumb was trying to say he earned a degree in 8 minutes. Must be one of those online degree's. Anyway congrats 2 dumb! What's the degree in?
    I think he went to the "close cover before striking" university.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

155.8' drop at 2,657yds works out to about 1 degree 8 minutes, if I figured right. (But it would be more fun, to shoot and see!)
    Shootin'm is fun especially a big bore! No Ken I ain't talkin' about you OR Rick. I meant bore as in size of caliber. Not big bore as in boring.....Anyway I have 1 1/2 cases of "good" .50 cal. ammo and about 500 rounds of "plinkin" ammo that I wouldn't trust over 300-400 yards. So as bob barker said come on down

Boring? Well I....but...

You know, if he didn't have 1 1/2 case of 50 cal I'd be really upset with him right now.