Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Build an Outhouse

And all this time we just thought he was a trend setter. Who knew?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sure it's good. You want air circulation and a nice view.
    Actions speak louder than words

Inside or outside? I'm not sure who's doing the viewing here.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You won't believe what I just saw in that little wooden building.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm surprised he could see anything what with the smudge pot thingie goin' on.

I'm all for the open door policy on the outhouses. Many of the self contained units will crack from the freeze...that's good, the liquid drains and saves you the money for pumping it so often. The self contained ones smell more too. I wouldn't advise anyone to pour used motor oil in the hole to float and cut the smell. But, the big step up is when you put the toilet in the house and you run the line from the toilet to "that hole over there"

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    But, the big step up is when you put the toilet in the house
    Oh, I wholeheartedly disagree!! I'd miss so many northern lights, the hooting of the owls, the odd wolf howl if it wasn't for that last late night trip out to the thunder throne.
    Actions speak louder than words

"thunder throne" LOL

Sevearl years back I was on a 35 day mountaineering trip with NOLS. We were in the Chugach range.

We trekked for 4 days accross the Moraine to an airstrip and survival shelter before turning up the mountain toward the summit.

There was the best out house I had ever seen. It had 3 sides and a roof and when you sat on the "thunder throne" you were looking out over the entire valley and glacier below.

Now THAT was a nice view.

I might add that this is one of those rare threads that "action" pictures are not only not necessary but highly discouraged. Just sayin'.....

The "hooter" we used in a deer camp up on Grand Mesa, Colorado, was a deck, half walls, door, frame for the roof amd a large military tarp, possibly part of a tent.
    In good weather, roof rolled up, so you looked out over the valley.
    Took hand gun and canteen with you.

They drilled a hole down a ways, 1/2 55 gal drum w/ toilet seat.
    Worked good.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

i have been using a humanure composting toilet for close to 3 yrs. I like it much better than a out house. I use pine shavings and hay for cover. leaves or pine needles would work just as well. you can get all the details at humanurecomposting.com free read online 10 dollars to buy e-book paperback price varies. poop pee in 5 gal. bucket I use 6 of them. place lid on when full. dump on hay compost pile cover. rinse buckets repeat. I keep in house with toilet seat. no more oder than a flush toilet if done properly. I grew up with a out house and sitting on frozen pee because of some else s pore aim just isn't fun.

Would that be humanurehandbook.com instead?

I can attest the bucket with sawdust toilet out lined in The Humanure Hand book work very well, with peat moss mixed with the sawdust.
    Need a compost bin to dump in.

Used one at "The Place" for a couple of years, till I got all the plumbing and water up and running.....still set up in the shed for a "opps can't make it all the way back to the house" occasions.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I love my two story outhouse. No fear of poopcycles here!

Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

LOL, That always just knocks me out....What a throne....LOL

Fortunately, you have the upper story. Pity the fool that rents the lower one.

I did some volunteer work years ago in Afghanistan. We built coed schools and outhouses. Most of the villages didn't even have a word for a bathroom. So I started with rule #1: don't sh!t were you eat(or drink or do dishes or laundry). Anyway we made some pretty nice ones. We poured a concrete slab for the base. We had a 4 or 5 inch x 8ft piece of PVC as a vent pipe. We capped the vent pipe with a piece of screen. We built the shed so that it was fairly dark inside. The flies would see the light in the vent and fly up it. They would hang around the top of vent until they died. It kept the pit free from maggots.
    Pretty low-tech but they worked great. Keeping the walls free of poop handprints is another story(don't shake a middle easterners left hand. EVER lol).
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

outhouses are for newbies, if the woods or a patch of buckwheat is good enough for a bear, it's good enough for me.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Yeah, but then you have to find a rabbit cause poop doesn't stick to their fur.

is a yeahbut anything like a rabbut.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?