Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Build an Outhouse

Default How to Build an Outhouse

Quote Originally Posted by hope View Post
    In POINT of Fact putting ash in the outhouse hole is the most practical use, it eliminates the stink, and aids in the decomposition of the poop and the paper, if one is foolish enough to put toilet paper in the hole. It serves the same function as putting lye or HOT Lime in the hole. Also note that people who light hearted, are generally NOT tight-A$$, constipated, poop'heads. Now if you want to know where to stick you ash, just PM me, and I'll advise where to stick-it.
    I submit this question with a bit of caution ( but with sincerity). Can you describe the mechanics of getting an outhouse operational? Depth of pit, is there a type of soil preferable for drainage, etc? I think I understand the basics, not locating near fresh water etc. Other than the one we had at camp as a kid, my knowledge of this subject is very limited. The ones we had in the military in the field were primarily the type that used a barrel and were pulled out and the "product" burnt (an excellent motivational job).
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Blog Entries

Hope can tell ya'. He really knows his sh!t.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Banned
    Blog Entries

It pains me to say this might need some Google input. There are some many important facts for a good outhouse. One thing people never think about is (Yes, this is funny and true) that the waste freezes, and at -28* it freezes quickly, and after a few months there is a pointed mountain that comes up to the seat, and it is very hard to break even with a long 4"X4" or hot water.

The depth is really when you get tired of digging day after day. I dig them as deep as I can. If it is not deep enough, you will be moving the house to a new hole, and more digging. I don't look for good soils, I just figure where I want it, based on many factors, a woman being one large factor, as women use the outhouse more often.

There is so much to tell, make sure animals can't fall in around the outer edge of the house. In high wind area cable the house to 4 points. Build it high for 6' of snow. A sliding barn type door is best, for snow access. Porcupines will eat any wood that gets pee on it, they will also eat plywood for the glue. Bright high gloss white paint is easiest to clean, and brightens the house. A hook for the light, a hook for your coat. Put three used coffee cans in the house with a roll of paper in each. 2" Blue Polystyrene (Dow Board) makes for a warm seat in winter. There are 100 more factors, how many seats will be needed. My Grandparents had a 4 hole house, they had 14 kids.

Do you think there would be any advantage to making the "receptacle" a removable barrel and burning periodicaly? I know it is an odious task, but my first thought would be if you have located your facility where you want it ( appropriate view etc ) you would be able to stay in place rather than having to move it and construction would be less work. I know this thread may be strange, but site hygene is very important for health and moral. After all, this "duty" is one that you can not afford to ignore very long .
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

i have a steel drum cut in half in the bottom of mine, it has been here a long time, from the original owner of the property back in the 30's, it still works well, now i don't use it allot as i have indoor plumbing, but if the hole is deep enough and only a couple of you using it should last a long time, use lye or wood ash to help and if that time comes then just move it and dig a new hole.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Pal - I actually posted plans on an outhouse some time back but I can't seem to find it. Anywho...here is an ebook with cabin and outhouse plans.

http://books.google.com/books?id=hzd...age&q=&f=false

An in house outhouse by Mother Earth News...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It...se-Inside.aspx

And, of course, step by watch your step instructions from mom.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Moder...d-and-New.aspx
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks Rick, I will book mark them. And so that some who have not seen what I refer to as burning, here is a pic . Seemed effective when the facility was shared by alot of people.
    Last edited by Pal334; 08-07-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i have a steel drum cut in half in the bottom of mine, it has been here a long time, from the original owner of the property back in the 30's, it still works well, now i don't use it allot as i have indoor plumbing, but if the hole is deep enough and only a couple of you using it should last a long time, use lye or wood ash to help and if that time comes then just move it and dig a new hole.
    That sounds reasonable. And the recurring theme from you and Hope seems to be using the ash, kind of solves two problems there. Thanks

I was just shocked to see that Hope included a door in his description
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Blog Entries

Question for Hope. Since you require facilities on a permanent basis, have you ever given any thought to one of these?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/altincinerate.htm
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Question for Hope. Since you require facilities on a permanent basis, have you ever given any thought to one of these?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/altincinerate.htm

NO, never considered it. I like my $8.75 monthly electric bill, of course with tax the electric bill is $12.35 per month.

Ladies and Gentleman, the proprieties please! This is after all a very serious issue

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Do you think there would be any advantage to making the "receptacle" a removable barrel and burning periodicaly? I know it is an odious task, but my first thought would be if you have located your facility where you want it ( appropriate view etc ) you would be able to stay in place rather than having to move it and construction would be less work. I know this thread may be strange, but site hygene is very important for health and moral. After all, this "duty" is one that you can not afford to ignore very long .
    No advantage I see, just a lot more work. An outhouse is like a fine car engine, build it right, and take care of it with proper maintenance, don't abuse it, and it well serve you for a long time.

Couple of suggestions:
    Location, check prevailing winds in your area, want it down wind (most of the time).

Door opens in, that way you can sit there with the door open, more freash air, but if someones coming , just kick it shut.

Always put the wood pile between the outhouse and the main house, most women will always bring in a wood as they don't "use" the outhouse too much..........

Shiny pages in the newspaper are "slidey".

Keep toilet seat in house till needed (cold weather area).
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Lanterns provide heat as well as light....just sayin'.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Noob here, been lurking for a while. Hi all by the way.

I own and use an outhouse on a more modern scale. I have a precast 1000 gallon tank with integral riser at 17" high. Seat bolted to riser and a removeable tin cover for the hole. I do infact put rid x in monthly to keep the "bugs" working and 10 years since installed it has yet to be pumped. I have occasionally put cold ash in it but not often.

I built the structure out of recycled barn hemlock and lined with FRP panels for hoseing out as needed and it limits what insects hang on the walls."wife factor". Single pitch roof and commercial steel insulated door. I cheated a little and ran a uv heater fan/light combo for arctic weather and put it on a switch timer.

A concrete tank is sanitary especially if water source is near by.

Brad

Brad - It's sort of customary around here before you use our outhouse we sort of like an introduction. If you want any toilet paper that is.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you don't throw the toilet paper down the hole, a 4' hole should last you and your significant other a couple decades or longer. It will also stink a lot less that way. We have an old coffee can in the outhouse where we burnn the toilet paper. Makes for a nice campfire atmosphere and when the bugs are bad, you can get a smudge going.

Do not build it air tight, don't put in a door and it will hardly smell - provided you don't throw in the TP.
    Actions speak louder than words

Okay, the smudge pot thing was a bit too much. All my plans of a survival life style are hereby called off. That's just uncivilized.

"Been to the outhouse or is that a tan?"
    "Outhouse."

So this no door thingy ---- that's a good idea? Sorry Hope - my apologies about your lack of a door.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel