Thread: edible water plants

Default edible water plants

so i am looking for anyone here who has ever eaten these two species of water plants

nymphaea spp water lilly pg 22 petersons wild edible plants

nuphar spp yellow pond lilly pg 60 petersons wild edible plants

they are in other books but most folks here have the petersons guides. i am looking for any and all info pertaining to these two specifically in the american/canadian geographical area, not in africa or germany or ausrtalia
    thanks for your time
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

wareeagle.. in addition to the method I described before I also know how to prepare the seeds... here it goes... cut fruits from stalk as they ripen (late summer early fall) air dry until they pull apart to seperate seeds.. dump seeds in a bucket of water.. after 5-6 hours good one's will sink.. dry in sun or warm oven. Seeds will store well. you can pop them like popcorn or you can remove shells by parching them over coals or in oven, pound lightly to crack shells and winnow off shells... Then you simply boil the nutmeats like rice or grind and use like cornmeal.

sourece:Elias & Dykeman's Edible Wild Plants
    Last edited by NightShade; 08-22-2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: source
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

WE I have eaten the yellow water or pond lily (Nuphar advena) but I have only ate the root and that was raw, mostly for entertainment of tourists and to show that it was edible. It is really bitter however cooked it would probably be much better. The roots are extensive and it's not unusual for a 4' section to be uprooted by 'Gators which then float to the surface. Don't know if this helps.

Nightshade, correct me if I'm wrong WE, I think he's looking for first hand experience.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

ohhh... my bad then.. I haven't gotten around to that yet, in that case WE, all I've done is cook the stalks in the 2 ways I said in the other post.. but I do intend on trying out the seeds soon!.. I'll let you know how it works out!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    WE I have eaten the yellow water or pond lily (Nuphar advena) but I have only ate the root and that was raw, mostly for entertainment of tourists and to show that it was edible. It is really bitter however cooked it would probably be much better. The roots are extensive and it's not unusual for a 4' section to be uprooted by 'Gators which then float to the surface. Don't know if this helps.
    how much did you eat pocco? enough for a meal? or just a bite for the awestruck terrorist err i means tourists
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I have ate enough to get full on. I mainly did this on the "two hour tour" while I was a Boat guide at Okefenokee Swamp Park!! Go ahead make jokes about the Skipper and Gilligan you won't be the first!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    I have ate enough to get full on. I mainly did this on the "two hour tour" while I was a Boat guide at Okefenokee Swamp Park!! Go ahead make jokes about the Skipper and Gilligan you won't be the first!!!
    Hey! Was that in Ga? (trembling earth) I spent some time on those waters. I remember some good times.

Default Yes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Hey! Was that in Ga? (trembling earth) I spent some time on those waters. I remember some good times.
    Yes it was in Waycross, Ga. Okefenokee Swamp park. I was a Boat Guide there for about 4 years. the water is safer than a lot of cities water supplies. I would still recommend boiling although I never did. To show tourists I would take the cellophane off a cigarette pack , dip some up so they could see the color, then drink what was in it. I did this 3-4 times a day, and never got sick. I also gave lectures (sometimes to fill in) at the Serpentarium. I LOVE the swamp. It was probably the best job I ever had.