Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ??????Small Pressure Cooker, HOW Small...????

Banned
    Blog Entries

Question ??????Small Pressure Cooker, HOW Small...????

Thinking of owning a small pressure cooker, how small do they come, and what spare parts should I have for it.....????

Blog Entries

Oh do it Hope! I've got two. One is a little 3.5L, the other is 7.5L both made by Prestige. The big one I've had for 30yrs and is still going strong. I just replace the seal and safety valve anually. If possible get one with adjustable weights, they are more versatile. My 7.5L has 3 weights 5,10, and 15lbs.
    They really do pay for themselves very quickly. You can cook a great stew in about 20mins.

Edit to add the 7.5L is the one I use most, I find the 3.5L a bit small even for two, it was a gift tho and does have it's uses.
    Last edited by Winnie; 08-21-2009 at 03:12 PM.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Banned
    Blog Entries

There is just me (Till Lorna gets here) I should think 3 or 4 qt. would be plenty for me.

Hope,

We use one all the time. They are a great tool for cooking. I can't help you with pressure cookers up here though, we have only bought them in Brazil.

Most of them have redundant safety release valves. On all of ours if the pressure plug blows you have to replace it so if the one you get has a pressure plug I would get a few more as spares. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Blog Entries

Just had a quick look on amazon, they have a vast range of pressure cookers. Agood Prestige starts at about $40.
    Here's the link if it's any help.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_3_...prefix=prestig

I don't work in quarts, just pints or litres so not quite sure what the sizes would be like.

Oh and Picts right, I have a few spare safety valves and gaskets.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Hope - Take a look at All American. They don't have a seal to replace or go bad. I have a pressure canner from them and it's great. I don't know if they make one small enough for you, though. They also make Chef's Design and they are definitely in the size range you are looking for. Made in Wisconsin.

http://www.allamericancooker.com/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by hope View Post
    There is just me (Till Lorna gets here) I should think 3 or 4 qt. would be plenty for me.
    mom ,mother is that you?
    what do ya want a pressure cooker for pops? gone this long w/o one why change now
    old good, change bad...
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Banned
    Blog Entries

OK, What am I Missing....? 1 1/2 qt. or two qt. pressure cooker.....??? Why is a pressure cooker not the "ONLY" way to go for (non-pack pack) Camp cooking.....? SHTF & you want to save fuel, etc. you throw three ducks, or a goose or dog/cat.....what ever with chicken or beef bullion, some whiskey, cook......throw on some roots, some greens, some inner bark, etc. cook.....cool...eat. save fuel, save smoke signature, etc. what is the down side.......and the more people the smart it seems to me......what am I missing.......?

I don't think you are missing anything at all. It is something that I have not considered, but probably should.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Two things, Hope. 1. Folks have read about KABOOM and shy away from them. Yes they can certainly do that but if you pay attention to the pressure valve, seals (if equipped) and operating pressure then you shouldn't have any trouble. 2. They aren't teflon coated and come with a happy meal toy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

the smallest cooker i've come across is 4qt. the smallest one i've owned is a 4.6, but i currently own a 6.4qt and an 18qt. they get plenty of use.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

In 30 years of happy use I've never had a problem cooking with one. As long as you observe the rules and keep safety valves and seals in good order there's no problem at all. The best bit is the speed at which a dinner can be ready. I've cooked a complete meal(including dessert) in under 30 mins. I tried Picts way of cooking beans without soaking and they came out fine. So beans from dry takes 30 mins too! Oh and you can use the cheaper cuts of meat and they cook really well. IMO a pressure cooker is a must have for any kitchen, I certainly wouldn't be without mine.
    I think a lot of the reason they aren't so popular is the fear of Kaboom and the microwave is allegedly easier (never owned one myself)

Banned
    Blog Entries

At -34* Below in a Very small cabin moisture is a problem as it freezes or condenses on the windows or lower walls. A pressure cooker would allow for quicker cooking, and you could take the pot outside to release the steam before opening.

see the problem is the maintainance thing, i just wanna cook my food, slow cooker is the way for me, throw something in and off ya go to do your day come back and a tastey dinner, other than that i think that i would prefer the dutch oven, i mean ifn ya got a wood stove and its winter your keeping it going anyways, summer is more diffucult as you have to coolect the wood so a pressure coooker would be easier, but where to get the parts, small town? naw i'll stick with what i know
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I was in Wal-Mart last night and saw a 4 qt. one for about 35 dollars. I think I just might get one.... my mom used to make a Venison hash that was GREAT in one of these!!! If I recall it was pretty simple - meat, onions, water and spices to taste. But it was really good especially over rice.... MMMmmm MMmm!

The KABOOM factor is very real, therefore redundant pressure valves are necessary on any pressure cooker you would consider.

I heard one blow once a few houses down. They were using it in an outdoor kitchen and it blew the porch off the house. Granted it wasn't much of a porch, more of a corrugated roof over the stove but it was LOUD and POWERFUL.

When ours blows a valve it startles everyone in the house, the steam really jets out. You just turn off the heat and the thing calms down soon enough. Don't try to move one that blows a valve, just turn off the heat and let it stop venting on its own. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

One more good reason to have an outdoor kitchen. FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!!

Poco you mean Equiss let you go to Wal mart? What was she thinking??

SSSHhhh She was asleep and she didn't know!!! BUT my EXCUSE is that the Cat was out of food when she finds this thread!!!

Oh yeah. She'll never catch on. Good plan.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel