Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite 9mm pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I've got the Sigma in 9mm and two in .40. I like them.
    Crash, good choice on the S&W Sigma. They have acquired an unjust reputation for unreliability. Some jackholes have even nicknamed it the "Smegma". This derives from reports of jams directly attributed to a batch of "soft" mag springs which were improperly heat treated from an outside vendor. Smith dropped that vendor and the problems dissolved. I have personally witnessed the problem and ultimate solution from S&W. This pistol is very reliable with the new mags. If anyone has an unreliable Sigma from a few years ago, they just need to replace the mag springs (Wolff springs are great) and the problems will be solved. For the past few years the Sigma has been shipped with the "good" mag springs in place. Have no fear purchasing a new one. The outdated/injust rumors and bad rap still pursist though. IMO it it one of the most underated pistols out there and one hell of a good deal too. I would have NO PROBLEM betting my life on one with the "good" springs. It is so near a copy to a Glock that S&W even settled a law suit filed by Glock for infrigement. We all know how I feel about Glocks. Being that the Sigma is a near copy of a Glock it has to be good. Good choice, Brother.
    Last edited by glockcop; 12-04-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glockcop View Post
    Crash, good choice on the S&W Sigma. They have acquired an unjust reputation for unreliability. Some jackholes have even nicknamed it the "Smegma". This derives from reports of jams directly attributed to a batch of "soft" mag springs which were improperly heat treated from an outside vendor. Smith dropped that vendor and the problems dissolved. I have personally witnessed the problem and ultimate solution from S&W. This pistol is very reliable with the new mags. If anyone has an unreliable Sigma from a few years ago, they just need to replace the mag springs (Wolff springs are great) and the problems will be solved. For the past few years the Sigma has been shipped with the "good" mag springs in place. Have no fear purchasing a new one. The outdated/injust rumors and bad rap still pursist though. IMO it it one of the most underated pistols out there and one hell of a good deal too. I would have NO PROBLEM betting my life on one with the "good" springs. It is so near a copy to a Glock that S&W even settled a law suit filed by Glock for infrigement. We all know how I feel about Glocks. Being that the Sigma is a near copy of a Glock it has to be good. Good choice, Brother.
    Thanks for the info, Glockcop. I'll be anxious to see how mine does.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The only .9mm I have is my Kel-Tec PF9.
    We have just purchased a Kel-tec PF-9 via gunbroker, awaiting delivery. I've always liked Kel-tecs, affordable price, light-weight, and in my experience fairly decent reliability. I own a P3AT, and have been eyeballing the PF-9 ever since it came out. Lightest and flattest 9mm on the market. I held off on purchasing due to reports of reliability problems with the model, but from what I've read on ktog.org, I think most of those have been ironed out at this point. We are purchasing it for my wife to concealed-carry. She loves her XD, but it is still too heavy and too bulky for her to conceal effectively. She tried my P3AT, but felt it was too tiny and had too much recoil for her to operate comfortably. I'm hoping the PF-9 will be just the thing!

What can you tell me about yours, Rick? What kind is it? (blued, hard-chrome, etc) How many rounds have you put through it? When did you get it? Ever had any malfunctions? What kinds of ammo are its favorites? What kinds does it dislike? Any tricks to shooting it well? I know the P3AT can FTF if you don't grip it really firmly.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

What can you tell me about yours, Rick?

It's my everyday carry. I started carrying it with a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster. I loved it but the seam on the holster lays against the magazine catch and more times than not I would pull the weapon out and the mag would be released. So I stopped using the holster and just free carry it in my pocket, which works really well. I also picked up the pocket clip and had it on for a long time but since I free carry it the clip was jabbing me in the leg and I took it off. Don't miss it either.

What kind is it? (blued, hard-chrome, etc)

Have the blued version. It comes with a single stack 7 round mag so I bought a couple of more mags. The pinky extension is no trouble to put on the mag. You'll see a small button in the center of the magazine bottom. Just push down on it and the stock bottom slides right off. BE CERTAIN TO KEEP YOUR FINGER OVER THE MAGAZINE SPRING as you slide it off or it will come flying out. Slide the stock one off and the extended one on until the button pops back into place. I carried mine a long time without the extension and then decided to add. I really don't notice a difference either way. My pinky drops below the grip with or without it. But I figured anything that helps me place my hand correctly in a hurry is probably a good thing so I put it on.

How many rounds have you put through it?

Just under a thousand. In the 900+ range.

When did you get it?

February(?) this year. I think. But the first quarter for sure.

Ever had any malfunctions?

They recommend 100 rounds be put through it. I did have some FTF to begin with but none since. I don't remember for certain but 4 or 5 in the first 50. Somewhere in that range. I had a couple because I limped writsted the darn thing but that was my own fault. It will FTF if you do that.

What kinds of ammo are its favorites?

It's taken everything I've put through it. Winchester 147 Gr. SXT, Remington UMC 115 Gr. MC, Remington UMC 115 Gr. JHP, Blazer Brass 115 FMJ, and a box of reloads I picked up at a gun shop when ammo was so scarce. My everyday carry is the Remington JHP.

What kinds does it dislike?

I can't say mine dislikes any of it. I think the early FTF was a new weapon more than ammo although I still don't get having to pump 100 rounds through one because it's new. That's just wearing the metal down in my book.

Any tricks to shooting it well? I know the P3AT can FTF if you don't grip it really firmly.

Not really any tricks. It also hates a limp wrist but most auto's do so a firm wrist. Other than that, just practice. Here's a link to their manual on the PF9. Recoil is a little stiff, I think. It's a 9mm in a very small package so that recoil has to go somewhere. Not awful by any means.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/do...F-9_Manual.pdf
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

glock, glock. and glock. i like glocks.

And I like folks that post an Introduction. I really want to like you.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

gremlin

Original XD was Croatian called the HS2000. The license was bought by Springfield who made a few slight cosmetic design changes for the American market so it could avoid import restrictions. The original HS 2000 was an admitted design steal from Glock and 1911. No US copyright laws overseas don't cha know .. Great gun. Stole the best features from several of the best guns.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    We have just purchased a Kel-tec PF-9
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    They recommend 100 rounds be put through it. I did have some FTF to begin with but none since. I don't remember for certain but 4 or 5 in the first 50. Somewhere in that range. I had a couple because I limped writsted the darn thing but that was my own fault. It will FTF if you do that.
    Just fired the PF-9 for the first time today, put about 50 rounds through it, a mix of three different kinds of ammo. Quite pleased so far! I only got one malfunction, and that was when I was purposefully trying to limpwrist the gun just as bad as I possibly could. That was a FTF, not a partial feed, I just racked the slide and was read to go again.

The gun is beefier than I really expected, much more substantial than the P3AT. However, the recoil is still pretty pronounced, stronger than I expected. Very snappy! It was very cold and windy, so I only managed to talk my wife into firing one magazine (7 rounds). She was not thrilled by the recoil, and did at one time accidentally press the mag released while she was gripping. I think I'm probably gonna want to add a Hogue Handall, put a bit more rubber between my wife's hand and the gun.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Banned

I have had a few different 9mm over the years,, but I prefer the 45acp any day of the week ,,

My Favorite 9mm was a Baretta 92fs,, Favorite Handgun ever, was (had to pawn it) my Colt series 70 combat commander,,

"PIRACY IN THE BLOOD" Icemancometh's Avatar

Ruger p95, only 9mm I have. Fav pistol is my Bulgarian Makarov.
    ""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""

I don't have a 9mm...I'm a 45 gal...
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I had a 9mm Hipower back in 1985.

I traded it for a satin nickel Combat Commander in .45.

I still consider it a good trade.

Glock G26
    Love it.

Had a CZ-75,was a fine sidearm,but went to a Charter arms pug in 44 spcl. for the woods.No slide to malfunction,no need for a follow up shot,simple and reliable.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways,bruised,battered,and totally worn out,shouting "Holy crap.....what a ride!"

Default Pistol

Currently, my only pistol is a Ruger P94 that I've had since '95. Knock on wood, it has never jammed or given me any problems and I have fired a LOT of rounds through it.

Default ruger guy here

i have carried when in uniform many types of both 9mm and 40,45,38 etc.
    beretta is very accurate but i get the same accuracy from the ruger as i ever did with the 92fs and as the beretta usually goes for 1200 and the ruger
    comes in at about 300 the choice was clear for my home weapon of choice
    but while on that note keep in mind that i do not like the 40 cal ruger or any 40 cal for that matter lack of penetration when you need it most and a definite consistency to freetumble when in flight that can cause some accuracy issues just my opinion but what i noticed nevertheless love the 45 but for everyday carry prefer a lighter round and gun i am not the 6 footer that the rest of my family is i top out at 5'9 and have small hands

I choose the Luger.

Quote Originally Posted by revleo View Post
    i have carried when in uniform many types of both 9mm and 40,45,38 etc.
    beretta is very accurate but i get the same accuracy from the ruger as i ever did with the 92fs and as the beretta usually goes for 1200 and the ruger
    comes in at about 300 the choice was clear for my home weapon of choice
    but while on that note keep in mind that i do not like the 40 cal ruger or any 40 cal for that matter lack of penetration when you need it most and a definite consistency to freetumble when in flight that can cause some accuracy issues just my opinion but what i noticed nevertheless love the 45 but for everyday carry prefer a lighter round and gun i am not the 6 footer that the rest of my family is i top out at 5'9 and have small hands
    A Barreta 92 is about $500. Am I missing something?

I pocket carry a PF9, between my seat is a Taurus PT111 in a thumb brake holster to comply with Florida law. But, I prefer to carry my P226 when I can conceal it. Which means when I don't have to do a lot of over head work. I just don't see enough difference in comfort and the SIG just knows where I want the rounds to go. I have never shot a better pointing hand gun.

I do think the CZ75 is a close second to the SIG though.

Taurus PT 92 AFS for me

If I have to choose, I like the Sig P226. But I prefer the old Colt 1911.
    Prepared enough.