Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gems from the Gutter - part 1

not meaning to sound harsh and only speaking in fact but the 20 year homeless with a crack habbit has got to be the most hard core survivor! specially the one who get clean and homed again.

Or just very lucky.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Wow, inspirational story! Glad that you got back on your feet.

Somewhere in everyone's life, we all got "really lucky". There was probably always a point where it all could have went another way...

Thank you for your story it is very good to see someone that has been there and has come back up from it.

I had a 3+ month brush with homelesstness, but a very different situation fromPaco's.
    A divorce was pending, and I was out with no place to go.
    Now, I had my truck, motorcycle and some camping gear.
    I was slso going through depressiom, and seeing a psychiatrist.
    I was camping in a park for about two weeks when I went to see tue Doc. He oíwas delited I was out of the house, but said I was not OK enough to be out therr alone. Within two days, he had me in a group home, where I spent three week. Then I moved to a group home closer to home for two months.
    Nobody I knew thought I should stay there, so I made plans to return to AZ.
    My disability came through, I camped at my old spot for about a weekv, thrn took off for Az on my motorcycle. I was able to afford to have my truck and some belongings follow.
    One of the things that I remember most was how well that the folks I was living with treated this old dog Psych RN. They would gather me up for rec trips downtown, take me to the library and invite me for coffee. Before I left, I.boughyt a bunch of free coffee cards from that place and passed them out to help return their kindness.
    And here I am, disabled but able to lead a pretty full life.
    I am very greatful for that.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

The social/ economic situation we find the country in makes this an especially timely thread....These stories are eye opening....everyone needs a reminder every so often believe it are not we are all living on the edge....we often take for granted just how lucky and blessed we are.....thank God I have never been homeless, I did have a scare a few years back....I can assure you homelessness can happen to any of us a lot faster than most thank.....the IRS can and will put you and your on the street in a heart beat....the stories in this thread I have read seem to be of adults both single and couples....just imagine how it would be if you had a family of young kids..... we are living in dangerous times...it is for sure our kids and grand kids will not have the life we have known......I fear we will soon be seeing a lot more homeless.....

WOW! I'm new to the forum and just read your stories. I must say, you have an amazing story. Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. Thank you for sharing.

I never let it get that bad for long. 3 weeks, a couple of times, then I got enough work to buy a junk car, and that gave me a place to leave my stuff (relatively safely) and also make money by giving rides to the other day labor workers. If you know what to look for on craigslist, there's always a car that runs, (barely, but that's all you need) for sub $500, it may have a trannie or water pump, rods, valves or timing belt going out. It may need valve and ring job, or brakes and exhaust. It may have lots of rust/broken glass, bad dents. But if you can move it 1/2 mile at a time, twice a day, it can keep you from losing it and give you a "home" out of the weather, theft, etc. A van is best, a station wagon next, a hatchback next, but ifit's just a regular old car, you can remove the rear seat, cut out the "x" of stiffeners back there, put your stuff in the trunk and cover it with thick particle board, plywood, nailed together 1" boards.

Thus, you have a place to put your "sleeping pad" (several layers of old carpet you've found in dumpsters) and slip inside of your "sleeping bag", ( 4 layers of burlap or sheets, etc, sewn together with wadded up newspaper on both side of you) You can cook on the hood or the trunk lid, using a "can candle" made of 1 can inside of another, with multiple wicks (made of mop strings) and the inside can `1/2 full of paraffin. poke holes in bottom and top of outside can, in sides of the wax can (above the top of the wax) and use rocks between their bottoms. A bicycle is nice to have, but if you chain it to the car, it attracts attention to you. So hide it well a 1/2 mile or more away (chained, of course) and don't have more than $20 or so in it. Craigslist is a priceless asset, for backpacks, all sorts of great stuff, at great prices. But you can make a backpack, frame and all, as well as most other "camping" needs.

Many times I have used the restrooms at libraries, etc, to hand wash my clothes, give myself a sponge-bath, etc. You can use a couple of black garbage bags, one inside of the other, to heat water on a sunny day. A vehicle gives you a place to stash a couple of 5 gallon jugs of water, etc. The bicycle lets you get to the churches that serve meals. Some of them, 1x per month, have giveaways of staples/food, too. Keep yourself CLEAN, and make friends with people who work at fast food places! At the right time of day, most of them can/will give you the stuff that's been in the warmer "too long", or has not sold that day (late at night or the next day).

Often, for $30 per month or so,, you can take one class at a jr college, or join a karate school or workout club, etc, and have a place to shower. Sometimes and some places, you can get away with a quick dip in a lake or stream, or at least, haul enough water from such a source to a secluded place for a quick sponge bath. You save yourself a ton of worry, effort, etc, if you've got a lockable, "blends- in" old car. So if you are homeless, sell some blood plasma, "fly a sign" at intersections, do some writing on the Net, oddjobs around town, etc, and get/maintain a car, man.

Yeah, you MIGHT have to get a driver's license, plates/insurance on it, eventually. But if all you drive it is 1/2 mile, 3 minutes at a time, 2x a day ( far enough and around some corners, so that the same people don't see it parked all the time, and report you) you will probably go for a year without having to talk to a cop about such things. And you shouldn't need more than a few months to get a GOOD van, actually, along with those legalities. Then you can go indefinitely without paying rent, utilities, etc. Get careless, loud, snotty, drunk, or high, tho, make a mess, be seen "answering the call", and you'll deserve what happens to you. Keep a wide mouthed jar at hand. Women can use a "lady j" funnel to use the jar. Then just empty it later (discretely) into a storm drain, etc. A "kitty litter" pan and vermiculite can handle other wastes. Bag it and dispose of it properly, just as people do for a large dog. Often times, a constuction site aint far away, with its porty-pottie. Use your head, and don't be lazy.
    Last edited by senna; 07-26-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Senna
    Yeah, you MIGHT have to get a driver's license, plates/insurance on it, eventually. But if all you drive it is 1/2 mile, 3 minutes at a time, 2x a day ( far enough and around some corners, so that the same people don't see it parked all the time, and report you) you will probably go for a year without having to talk to a cop about such things.
    You're condoning driving without a drivers license, plates or insurance? There's nothing like putting my life and property at risk as long as it's a benefit to you. If you can't afford a drivers license or plates or insurance on a car then you have no business driving one. You can use your two good feet, a bicycle or public transportation until you can do it the right way. The last thing I want or need is some uninsured moron running into me causing me suffering and out of pocket expenses and driving up my insurance rates while the rest of us try to do it the right way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'd REALLY to meet you one day soon, you ****ing Nazi piece of ****.

That was your 3rd and final warning, Bill.

I had to do some quick research to see why everyone's favorite guy got banned...

/headsmack Now I know. Good riddance.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mysurvivalspot?feature=mhee
    www.mysurvivalspot.com

Eh, words don't bother me much. Words have no power unless you give them power and in this case I don't even give them much time let alone power. I warned him twice about attacking members but threats just aren't tolerated.

That fella sure put a lot of bait on his hook.
    At the rate he was posting this morning I figured he'd reach 100 posts before the Big Stick came out.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Dang see what happens when i sleep in!!

HMMM i thought I did a multi quote .. oh well!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    That fella sure put a lot of bait on his hook.
    At the rate he was posting this morning I figured he'd reach 100 posts before the Big Stick came out.
    Some times its fun to feed a troll, this one however was not entertaining.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I go away for a couple of days and you guys open the door and let the trash in. Glad to see somebody took it out before I got back.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You know me. I'm just a big pussy cat. I can't say no so I let anyone and everyone in the door and even let them hang around well after the lights should have been turned out on 'em. I sure wish the forum didn't post all those *****. I'd really like to know what I'm supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You know me. I'm just a big pussy cat. I can't say no so I let anyone and everyone in the door and even let them hang around well after the lights should have been turned out on 'em. I sure wish the forum didn't post all those *****. I'd really like to know what I'm supposed to be.
    I have a list of possibles, want I should send it to ya.