Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gems from the Gutter - part 1

Just remember Poco - if it weren't for Sarge the Numpty thread wouldn't exist either. Just sayin'.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Just remember Poco - if it weren't for Sarge the Numpty thread wouldn't exist either. Just sayin'.
    LOL Yeah I guess you have a point.... I'm just a different kind of Numpty.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Great stories. Thanks for sharing that part of your life. I always try to give when someone is in need. It feels good to know that giving to the people who realy need it does make a difference.

Willie
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

I was pretty wild in my youth. When I was 15 momma told me it was better if I didn't come back home. I came home to get my things and off I went. I was lucky because alot of my friends worked in fast food and brought home what was going to be thrown away. I crashed on couches here and there until I wore out my welcome. The summer wasn't bad at all, the problem was that by fall and winter I ran out of couches. I lived under a bridge for the winter where I could have a fire and stay kind of warm. There was a happy chef restaurant open 24hrs nearby where I could pay $1.00 and drink coffee and stay warm until they told me to leave. Sometimes it was a long time sometimes it was an hour. I can't even start to describe what life was life at this point, i've deleted entire paragraphs several times while typing this post because I just can't post it online. It ain't easy to share things like this. I ended up meeting a kid whose parents let me move in around febuary thank god, I was very sick and I don't think I would have lasted. I had phenomia (sp) and was just in poor shape! They helped me get work and...well.....that was 15 years or so ago.

I post this because alot of kids want to run off and live this way for the excitement.....it is exciting at times but it damn sure ain't the way to go!!!!!!!!!!! Mostly it's just miserable, cold, hungry and just plain lonely!

I live in Texas now but I know I can make it through a Minnesota winter.....mostly.

I have had some very bad times where I lived on the knife's edge but thankfully I've never teetered over that brink into homelessness. But of course with the current economic climate any of us could be on the streets. So although this isn't a story about me, I will say I'm the guy who'll "give you a quarter." A couple years ago I stopped by a Taco Bell on the way home to get some grub for my GF and I. There was a dude sitting out front asking if anyone could help him out with just a taco or something. I tell him I'll be right back, and I order like a half dozen items and large drink for him. I know, lame story on my part but I didn't care about what brought him to that point...I just saw a dude that was hungry and needed a little break. He had a pretty decent looking backpack, so even though he was a bit unkempt his story must have longer than that.

Thing that I regret is that he asked me for a ride to the bus depot. It was five miles the opposite direction and my GF was waiting for dinner. And of course I didn't wanna risk being found by the road side, throat slashed and car stolen. I'm altruistic but not entirely stupid. But I got a good vibe from him and I hope he made it to where he was headed alright.

I sometimes think a true hero is one that knows the difference between altruism and stupidity and acts accordingly. Good post.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My Brother became homeless 2 yrs ago.A combination of economy and marriage breakdown .He was a wreck on a cold January night on our doorstep.A year after coming to us, my Brother got a place to live,after rebuilding his business.He learned to cook(thanks to my lovely Wife)and to shop,and to generally look out for himself.

He is now very prosperous.He contributes to homeless charities.So do I.

Good for you, Paul, for taking him in. We are our brother's keeper. Good for him for working to get his life back in order.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

He has helped me since when I lost my job.Family is the strongest force on Earth I think .

And it certainly should be in my book.

For those who would really like more info on the "How" to survive as a homeless person, OR are just interested in these aspects from someone who has been there, Here's something for you. I recently started talking to the owner of this site, and after he learned that I too had once been homeless said he had an excellent article from a guy who was also once homeless. Where mine is a story, this one is a "Text book" or instructional. I have to say that this guy knows his stuff. I DO have permission from the owner of the site(Don) to post a link to this instructional. I must say it is an excellent read on the subject. It seems that the original author has dropped out of sight..... I just pray he's safe.

http://www.donrearic.com/homeless.htm
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Thanks for posting this, funny how it all sound so logical when written down.
    I have seen this somewhere, and enjoyed it then, enjoyed it bagain.
    Book-marked.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hi i was homeless too it was veryhard at first but got better as you will see ps still miss it in a way it tool a few years to ajust to having a place of my own and being a dad.
    see some mad stuff and did some mad things too.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 09-12-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Removed link to blog

I have sat down and red through this again. I am crying again. Things have gotten tight for Mel and I once again here, but we take one day at a time and keep striving to go forward. Sometimes life has a way of throwing a wrench in your plans and you have to take steps back in order to go forward again.

Thanks to all you have told their stories. I appreciate that a lot.

That is true Nig it was hard to get used to having a roof over my head as well.

To add to my story though, I went into the Army a week after I was married. Mike said that it would be a good way for us to get off the streets. Well things happened and I didn't make it through Boot Camp because of some health problems. I tried to do anything to stay in the Army because I knew what was waiting for me. I didn't get to though
    so back to the streets did I go.

It was hard to go back because I felt like a failure to myself and to the ones around me. Even though I am off the streets I feel like I could be back there at anytime and that is why I don't ever forget where I have come from.

To Poco he has been my rock that last couple of years. I can not put into words how he makes me feel. I just want him to know that he is the love of my life and I am thankful that we were brought together.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    For those who would really like more info on the "How" to survive as a homeless person, OR are just interested in these aspects from someone who has been there, Here's something for you. I recently started talking to the owner of this site, and after he learned that I too had once been homeless said he had an excellent article from a guy who was also once homeless. Where mine is a story, this one is a "Text book" or instructional. I have to say that this guy knows his stuff. I DO have permission from the owner of the site(Don) to post a link to this instructional. I must say it is an excellent read on the subject. It seems that the original author has dropped out of sight..... I just pray he's safe.

http://www.donrearic.com/homeless.htm
    Good read. Thanks for posting.

Equus - We're glad, too. Both of you seem to be made for each other and compliment one another very well. And those two young men are pretty special, too. You two must be a really good influence on them and have mentored them pretty well. They seem to be pretty well behaved and good solid young men. That's the real test for a parent, in my mind. That's also where our success is. It's nice to own "stuff" but when you can look at your best friend and know that's the one love in your life and look at your kids and know that's the most important thing there is then you're pretty danged successful in my book. You have your priorities well established and no matter what else happens, you'll get through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Equus - We're glad, too. Both of you seem to be made for each other and compliment one another very well. And those two young men are pretty special, too. You two must be a really good influence on them and have mentored them pretty well. They seem to be pretty well behaved and good solid young men. That's the real test for a parent, in my mind. That's also where our success is. It's nice to own "stuff" but when you can look at your best friend and know that's the one love in your life and look at your kids and know that's the most important thing there is then you're pretty danged successful in my book. You have your priorities well established and no matter what else happens, you'll get through it.
    Thank you so much. I appreciate that a lot.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

Just trying to help you put it in perspective.

Embrace adversity

As I often tell friends and family " You don't know how good the good times are till you've had the bad times ". I've been against the ropes so to speak a couple times now . You gotta remember times will change , keep working for the better and it will happen . NEVER GIVE UP !. Great story of perseverance .

Like others have well said thanks (!!) so much for sharing.

I have been gaul-dern-dang close to being homeless a few times, recently in this current economy. While I live near the rural in a suburban area, the few times I had to stop and contemplate and accept what may be coming down the pike. I contemplated wether to be homeless in the city, or in the (deep) forests. It seemed like it would have pro's and cons both ways. In the city there may be mercy from your fellow man and some hand-outs. With it comes harassment, trouble, pestering and danger (and for me, in the city- gloom.)

In the wilderness one could be left alone with the only harassment & trouble being that there's no food in the traps today. you could have a self made warm/ dry shelter a roaring fire plenty of water etc. Danger is there of course, especially if you injure yourself or get sick. There would be isolation & loneliness in the woods (but I'm finally at a grumpy age now to think I'd be good with that.) Or so those are/were my thoughts on the outside looking in.

Those of you that have been homeless did you ever think about dumping the cold grey depressing & dangerous city for the at least "neutral" wilds?

Thanks for your insight and wisdom.
    Last edited by TresMon; 11-23-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."