Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gems from the Gutter - part 1

Some girl, Dottie!!!
    You ain't bad either, Poco.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Some girl, Dottie!!!
    You ain't bad either, Poco.
    Girl you need glasses!! That or you didn't look to hard at my picture(I don't Blame you though, Even I try not to look at my pictures!! LOL).

On a serious note - Thank you!
    Dottie on the other hand can be an AND a She does have her moments!(*Looking over shoulder*)
    Mostly though she is an
    Just once I got to be a

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

She might have been your inspiration, but you are the one who took the initiative to make the changes necessary to get your lives together. With a Good Woman driving you forward, and a good head on your shoulders, you worked together to achieve what (at the time) seemed like the impossible. Her determination and undying devotion led you both to a better life.
    That deserves much respect for both of you.
    I really just don't have the words to express what this story means to me every time I read it, and theres not a lot I can say about it without actually having walked that path. It does display incredible courage and ambition and perseverance. I am inspired beyond words my friend.
    'nuff said
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post

I just hope there's someone else out there willing to contribute. Come on ya'll!!! Jump on in the water is warm. This ain't about me it's about !! You all have experiences to share and I know you are out there, There's bad things that happen in life, if that weren't true then NONE of us would be here preparing and sharing. You could just help a Brother or Sister here.Share Please!!
    Extremely good thread. Most people I know will not even talk about the homeless and act like they don't exist for after all, they don't know any of "those" kind of people.

I was almost homeless at least once and Hope I never will be. I should not be as long as I can live on my mtn place and make a little money up there working for neighbors with cabins, which I am the only "cheap" labor they can get up there. And readily available anytime.

A few stories I could tell but briefly, the closest experience with many homeless I had was in Eugene, Oregon in 1983. That was a year I had no job but had saved up money and was traveling all over the West. I spent a couple months in Eugene for I liked the area and just got a one room apt. for $150 a month.

There were homeless people all over the streets. I could not walk anywhere without getting asked for a quarter etc. A retired alcoholic truck driver had an apt next to me and had several homeless people around all the time.

Once I was standing there talking to them and a guy vomited and I could see he had ate some bologna. I also saw a guy climb into a dumpster and come out with aluminum cans. In Oregon they paid 5 cents for each can.
    One homeless guy was especially bothersome and would not leave me alone. Once he even banged hard on my apt. door. I did not answer but had a nightstick ready in case he did break thru. I had a chair against the door and doorknob. I spent a lot of time listening to the radio and walking all around Eugene.

After two months of this and no job prospects I decided I might as well go back to Colorado, where I was born and raised.

I have volunteered for the Salvation Army as a bell ringer, being able to wear a bear costume, which was fun and brought kids and others to the kettle. It was very hard for me to ring the bell without the costume. But I saw All kinds of people who gave, most did not. I thought they could not even give a measly quarter? But I think anymore many people have no change, just cards. Which the Salvation Army has some kettles in big cities with a card scanner.

That year about five years ago, when I rang the bells I also helped serve meals to the homeless in Greeley, CO Which Greeley has a population of around 80,000 people and I thought surely there are not too many homeless? But around 100 people everyday would come to eat at the Salvation Army.

I should volunteer more there and the Salvation Army is the Only church I have went to for the past 20 years. The wilderness is my main church now but as an organized church the Salvation Army has about all the others beat for they actually Do what they preach and what the Bible says about feeding, helping and caring for the poor etc....

I would like to turn my mtn place into a survival camp for the poor and whomever would or could live up there. But hopefully and maybe someday.....

Btw, poco, that pic of yours looks a little like me, only my beard is longer and scragglier, after I have been on my mtn place a few months. Especially around Oct. when I have been up there for four months.
    Last edited by Mtnman Mike; 01-06-2010 at 03:14 AM.

Thank you Mike! I appreciate you telling of your experiences, That is what I wish, That more will share their story so that others can understand what it is like. That and to learn in case they end up there themselves. I am happy to see that you have overcome that, and found some measure of stability and happiness.

Probly One Of The Best Threads Around Here!!! I've Never Been Homless Thankfully. But My Brother Who Has Always Been Very Arrogant Lost His Well Paying Job And He Found Another Job That Paid Far Less. And Hes Been Humbled By The Experence Of Not Having Everything He Wants And Having To Worry About His Home. I Think This Economic Downturn Has Humbled Some People And Some Snobby Kids I've Known. People Have Found Out That Just Staying At Home And Having A Family Dinner And Watching A Movie As A Family Has Been Farrrr Underated. Sometimes It Takes Being Knocked On Your Arse To Be Thankfull For What And WHO You Have.

I've Always Tried To Help Where I Can. A Friend Who Works At A Work Store Gets Me Carhartt Insulated Coveralls For What They Pay And I Try And Get 3 Every Winter And Give Them To People On The Street. Even Just Talking To Someone Whos Fallen On Hard Times And Treating Them With Respect Can Be A Very Uplifting Experence For Them... And Shaking Their Hand Is A Gratifying Experence In It's Self....
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

-George Patton

Poco, great story bro! Not great what happend to you....you know what I mean!

I was homeless by choice ,for religious and political reasons, that I will not disscus, but it was easy for me, cuz I hung out it the woods alone most of my childhood. So living in parks and along the local rivers and creeks till I'd get the feelin' "time to go",was quite easy! I would still visit family and freinds, who of course thought I was nuts, but I was happy and healthy so, it was all good.

I weld up a couple of times reading your story! You as I have seen the world and people from a perspective many will never see.

One time me and my first wife went to K-Mart to apply for jobs. We had only enough money for bus fair there and back. Well when we were waiting for the bus to go home, a little boy and his mom were also waiting for the bus and the little guy went and sat on one of those ride thingys thats always in front of the store. His mom told him she didn't have the money for the ride, so I put a quarter in it for him. My wife looks at me and says "Now WE don't have enough for the bus"
    I just said no biggy and started to ask people if I could bum a quarter for the bus. I had never done this before and was appauled at the way people acted,you'd thought I had lepoursy or some thing. After asking about 50 people I was begining to get pi**ed. So the next guy I ask told me no ,of course,so I say "Your going shopping and don't have a quarter!" He told me he worked there ,so I said "YOU GOT A FINE JOB AT K-MART AND DON'T HAVE A QUARTER!" well he just slithered away like snakes do. Well some old guy who saw the whole ordeal came up to me grinnig and handed me a $5. I told him I just needed a quarter for the bus, and he told me he didn't have any change and I should go somewhere before the cops show up ,buy a soda and cool off! So me and Bon went to the gas station and got us a soda,when we came out the police were at K-mart! Don't know for sure it was for me but probably was!
    Last edited by Ted; 01-15-2010 at 11:30 PM.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

That was hilarious!! Maybe not to someone who hasn't been there buuuut..... Having been there I can see the humor. There were one or two guys out on the streets that would intentionally cause a scene just to get thrown in jail for a couple of days. Their reasoning was that - "Hey I get a nice shelter and meals for a couple of days.... maybe a month." I never did get nervy enough to try that,no matter how bad the weather, I was too afraid of losing the stuff I had. Leave it unattended for a day and it's gone!! I always tried to stay on the "good side" of the law. It helped out, one Cop would always check in on me and against the department policy he actually gave me some stuff he had "laying around" at home. Some 550 cord and some stuff like that. Yeah there were good moments.... Like this relationship with this Cop. I consider him a friend,and would help him any time.

I guess I need to say this again.
    Folks this is NOT "my" thread. Yeah I started it. Someone has to take the first step.It is OUR thread. If you have been homeless - SHARE! Tell of your experiences,and lessons you learned. You just might help save someone's life.
    You wouldn't believe how many times I have checked to see who is on-line reading which post and discover that one of our Guests is reading this. A couple of days ago 3 guests were reading it at the same time!! They may need to know what you know.
    I know it is hard, I procrastinated for several days after Sarge asked me to do this. You have a one of a kind opportunity,an opportunity to share something bad in your life. Not for pity,but to help someone else. Like that time you asked for something to eat and someone gave you something, maybe a PB&J, but something. That is why I called this "Gems From The Gutter", You all have some of those "Gems" in you....Won't you bring them to the light and let them sparkle?

Trust me, the first few times you see someone is reading this, knowing it has a part of you, you will be nervous. You will. But when you realize that you may be helping someone you will feel really good.

A saying I have always liked..."A burden shared is halved... a joy shared is doubled". We all have some things we need "Halved", and some things we need "Doubled". Don't let it slip by.

To Poco you have the greatest inspiration in my life. I love you with my whole heart. I really don't know what to say to you about the way I feel about you. You are my knight in shining armor.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by AVENGED View Post
    Probly One Of The Best Threads Around Here!!! I've Never Been Homless Thankfully. But My Brother Who Has Always Been Very Arrogant Lost His Well Paying Job And He Found Another Job That Paid Far Less. And Hes Been Humbled By The Experence Of Not Having Everything He Wants And Having To Worry About His Home. I Think This Economic Downturn Has Humbled Some People And Some Snobby Kids I've Known.
    And That is what a few people I have seen post in various forums hope will happen with many of the arrogant people who have always looked down on the poor and homeless.

Here is another thread that I believe goes well with this good homeless thread > http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ad.php?t=10071

I've spent a couple of months in my teens "homeless". I got thrown out of my folks the first time at 15. Slept that night on the concrete floor in a picnic shelter. Didn't sleep much and got up bright and early the next day and met up with a buddy who knew a guy with a nursery. We pulled weeds and hacked away at stuff all day in summer heat to earn enough for some McDonald's and an efficiency near Fort Lauderdale beach. Had some weird exploits and I am sure the statutes of limitations have forgiven me my crimes. But, I'll just say that we kept that efficiency for about 2 weeks and met some real doosies there.

After loosing the efficiency, we slept on the beach. We had five in our little group and we tried to figure out a way yo get another room. Had to move from the beach, which wasn't bad at all, because the cops would come around.

Stayed with my girlfriend in her Mom's place for a week and then went back out on my own with my girlfriend in tow. Finally after a couple months I came to terms with folks and my girlfriend with hers and went back home.

Most of the folks I met put their addictions in front of responsibility and that is how they got there. Some were runaways or had been thrown out by family. Some were bad people that always put themselves first. But, most formed little co-operative groups scheming for the next place, drink or drug.

I Think It Goes The Same As Anything Else. As With Any Other Group Of People There Are A Few Who Are Hostile And Non-Sociable, But The Majority Aren't... Being A Welder On Some Job Site We've Employed Homeless People And They Have Been Some Of The Friendliest And Funny People I've Met. They Say Struggle Builds Character, And Of Homeless People This Is True. I Think I've Learned More Life Lessions From The Homless Than Anywhere Else. The Most Important Thing I Think I've Learned From Them Is To Laugh, Laugh At Your Everyday Problems, Laugh At Your Flaws. Anything That Brings You Down You Can Laugh At And It'll Make Everything Seem Like A Smaller Problem...
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

-George Patton

new to this site, thanks for yourstory of your time on the streets it gave me a new insight to the people on the street, thanks.
    Standingbear

Hey there standingbear - how about giving us some insight into you by posting an Intro. Thanks - you can find it here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just wanted to say the part of my inspiration for the Living in a bus thread came from reading this thread
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

i dont think the comment of kids not being "outdoor savy" is totally untrue

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scaru View Post
    i dont think the comment of kids not being "outdoor savy" is totally untrue

Wow a triple "Negative" sentence, you must live in D.C. (Now if a double negative, reverses the first negative, what does a third negative in a sentence do".........? Are you really Alan Greenspan.....?)

Excellent thread for sure.

I don't necessarily look down on the homeless, but in my area, a lot of them have addictions, which makes it hard not to shake my head at. NY historically offers a lot to the homeless, so we have a large population. I used to ride the train out of NYC every monday night and every time, the same lady would have the same story. I learned early to almost never give money, but as stated in the thread, offer what the person is asking for.

That and maybe its just a NY thing or a sign of modern times, but the panhandlers around here are awful. I guess take it for what it is, advice on how NOT to ask for some change. One group won't even get off their *** to ask, they just holler "yo, got a dollar?". Another kid rode up to me on a bike listening to an ipod and asked for a dollar. Really? And I'm the kind of person who leaves quarters for the people in line behind me when their kid wants something out of the candy machine or tosses change when they are short. I mean go hold a door at a convenient store. I'd buy you a cup of coffee if I saw you opening the door for everyone. I understand that this isn't always an option, but their is always something you can do to show that you're trying to earn a couple of bucks.

Again, not to sound condescending, just a word of advice if applicable.

And we give work to the kids at the local ministry house when we can, which is always good. Some of them I really liked too. Good kids, just had a run of bad times through either bad family life or drugs. My favorite guy was a recovering cocaine addict. He was funny as hell, clean, and hard working.

Well that was a wonderful Thread, I don't post much but I spend allot of time reading. I have read a many thread here, but I don't think any have touched me as this one did, Thank you both!

My wife and I both help feed the homeless and I can say it is a very humbling experience. I am sure some are not really as "homeless" as others, but all in all everyone appreciate a good hot meal. I myself when I was younger chose to live in my truck working odd jobs here and there, till my parents caught wind of it and came and got me! Guess they wanted something different for me. In some ways I have always wondered in the back of my mind what may have become of me if they wouldn't have came to Wy to "recuse" me. I have always been a sort of a survivalist.

Thanks again for sharing your life with me!
    Wes

Thank You Wes, for your kind words and for helping others who are in that situation. To be quite honest, I had doubts about posting this, but Sarge,well Sarge encouraged me a LOT! Otherwise I may never have said anything about that part of my life except in passing. I was kind of ashamed of ever being there in the first place. I still don't tell many people I know in real life, simply because of the stigma attached.

You know, if it weren't for Sarge this thread wouldn't exist, that much I do know.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen