Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neighbor's BOL

Default Neighbor's BOL

28.jpg

Everything except their laundry room and kitchen are solar powered. All the buildings are insulated either with closed cell or open cell foam.

Starting from the right.
    Is the kitchen with a propane stove and a washer and dryer.
    Next isn't an outhouse, it is tool storage etc. The blue and white whirly jig on top is a wind generator it supplements their solar power's batteries.
    The box in front is a small generator to power the washer and dryer. It can also charge the solar power's batteries.
    Next is their sleeping area with beds that fold up etc. HVAC is a mini-split unit and a sun porch.
    Their dog is a large German Shepherd who is a biter.

They live about 4 or so hours from here. As Kenny is a realist, he believes unless there is enough warning to beat the crowd; they won't get here.

Farther up the road, Duane converted a 24' camper into cute little bungalow. It has what is called temporary power. He has a composting toilet and the typical camper propane appliances. His water comes from a spring that runs year round. An excavator dug out a pool; it was tiled and has a pump that pumps water uphill. It has a screen cover to keep leaves and bugs out.

I thought y'all would enjoy the neighborhood.

Nice! Do you have any good fishing spots in your neigbourhood?
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    Nice! Do you have any good fishing spots in your neigbourhood?
    As we live here permanently; although their place is very nice, it is too small for us and two big dogs.

Yes, we most certainly do and we both love to fish. There are large mouth bass bream, (southern US for any specie of sunfish), catfish and stripers in the lake. The river and creek have small mouth bass, catfish and trout. There's also a lot of turtles in the river.
    We have a lot of fish in the freezer.

There is also a lot of game here; bear, deer, raccoons, feral hogs, bobcats, turkey and more. There's also a lot of snakes. The poisonous ones include eastern diamondback rattlesnakes, timber rattlesnakes, and copperheads.

Same as the jungles of Brazil, we have a variety of bloodsucking insects here and spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by VnVet View Post
    As we live here permanently; although their place is very nice, it is too small for us and two big dogs.

Yes, we most certainly do and we both love to fish. There are large mouth bass bream, (southern US for any specie of sunfish), catfish and stripers in the lake. The river and creek have small mouth bass, catfish and trout. There's also a lot of turtles in the river.
    We have a lot of fish in the freezer.

There is also a lot of game here; bear, deer, raccoons, feral hogs, bobcats, turkey and more. There's also a lot of snakes. The poisonous ones include eastern diamondback rattlesnakes, timber rattlesnakes, and copperheads.

Same as the jungles of Brazil, we have a variety of bloodsucking insects here and spiders.

Insects barely bother me. At my state (it's called Paraná) the climate is more like a temperate forest, we even have some snow during the winter. But we still have some insects during the summer, I guess that I just learned how to deal with them.

Insects barely bother me. At my state (it's called Paraná) the climate is more like a temperate forest, we even have some snow during the winter. But we still have some insects during the summer, I guess that I just learned how to deal with them.

We live in a forest; as a result there are a lot of bugs. There's one that if the bite a person; after it heals there's a light brown colored spot that takes a year or so to vanish..

Are there places to fish and to hunt animals for food?

I did a search for Paraná and it is beautiful there. Between the Paraná River and the Atlantic ocean coast, fishing must be great there.

We live in a forest; as a result there are a lot of bugs. There's one that if the bite a person; after it heals there's a light brown colored spot that takes a year or so to vanish..

Are there places to fish and to hunt animals for food?

I did a search for Paraná and it is beautiful there. Between the Paraná River and the Atlantic ocean coast, fishing must be great there.

Looks like you found my home.
    There is only one place called Paraná .
    We have a little more freedom to hunt here compared to the rest of the country, we can legally hunt some animals. Mostly invasive species, but since wildlife is always blossoming, we have plenty of these too. We can go fishing as much as we want, we only need a dirty cheap license if we go fishing at public waters with special equipment, we don't need a license for "primitive" fishing using only a line, a hook and some bait.
    I live in the city, but near the farms and forests. I can get to my dad's farm in 30 minutes by foot. The forest and the rivers are even closer. I go hunting often, but I'm more of a small game hunter. My fishes are bigger than my prey, but I did killed a hog at my dad's farm last week.
    Let me show you a little of my state, we have a very distinct climate compared to the rest of Brazil. Today the temperature is 40,8 °F and it's not even winter anymore. But we also have some nice beaches, and the climate varies along the state. Since I live near the Paraná River, I'm on the cooler side of the State. Sorry but since I'm working now, I'm using an 15 yeas old computer, so I can't put an image directly here, I need to give you a link.
    https://imgur.com/a/CPkMwOq

Yeah, but you have crocodile and piranha.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, but you have crocodile and piranha.
    Now you are talking about our neigbour state, "Mato Grosso". It means "dense forest" in portuguese.
    They got alligators, the nasty piranha fish, giant snakes and even creepier stuff.
    Oh, they also got marshes and quicksand.
    But I would need to travel a whole day by car to get there. Brazil is almost as big as the USA.

Looks like you found my home.
    There is only one place called Paraná .
    We have a little more freedom to hunt here compared to the rest of the country, we can legally hunt some animals. Mostly invasive species, but since wildlife is always blossoming, we have plenty of these too. We can go fishing as much as we want, we only need a dirty cheap license if we go fishing at public waters with special equipment, we don't need a license for "primitive" fishing using only a line, a hook and some bait.
    I live in the city, but near the farms and forests. I can get to my dad's farm in 30 minutes by foot. The forest and the rivers are even closer. I go hunting often, but I'm more of a small game hunter. My fishes are bigger than my prey, but I did killed a hog at my dad's farm last week.
    Let me show you a little of my state, we have a very distinct climate compared to the rest of Brazil. Today the temperature is 40,8 °F and it's not even winter anymore. But we also have some nice beaches, and the climate varies along the state. Since I live near the Paraná River, I'm on the cooler side of the State. Sorry but since I'm working now, I'm using an 15 yeas old computer, so I can't put an image directly here, I need to give you a link.
    https://imgur.com/a/CPkMwOq

I was curious. This saying applies to me: "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." LOL

I noticed Brazil is more than very strict with civilians owning firearms. I live in Georgia, we have constitutional carry open or concealed without a license. However, both of us have pistol permits so we can carry in neighboring states.

Here the temperate is 85° F/29°C and cloudy. In two days we had 4.5"/11.4cm of rain; so the river and the creek are very high.

I read in Paraná, people come to hunt wild Russian Hogs. As they are a destructive nuisance, I shoot feral hogs.

Where I live offers a lifetime sportsman license (hunting or fishing) for free because I'm over 65 years old. DNR charges $10 for a durable plastic lifetime license card.

I was curious. This saying applies to me: "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." LOL

I noticed Brazil is more than very strict with civilians owning firearms. I live in Georgia, we have constitutional carry open or concealed without a license. However, both of us have pistol permits so we can carry in neighboring states.

Here the temperate is 85° F/29°C and cloudy. In two days we had 4.5"/11.4cm of rain; so the river and the creek are very high.

I read in Paraná, people come to hunt wild Russian Hogs. As they are a destructive nuisance, I shoot feral hogs.

Where I live offers a lifetime sportsman license (hunting or fishing) for free because I'm over 65 years old. DNR charges $10 for a durable plastic lifetime license card.

Feral hogs are a real trouble here. But getting your hands on a firearm is getting easier, one step at a time.
    About the free licence, that's funny. Here you can also get a free licence If you are over 65 years old.

Feral hogs are a real trouble here. But getting your hands on a firearm is getting easier, one step at a time.
    About the free licence, that's funny. Here you can also get a free licence If you are over 65 years old.
    How is it getting easier to get a firearm?

Here as a Veteran, I can purchase firearms that are Law Enforcement and Military only. However, I'm not sure what that means except the display case had a sign stating "Law Enforcement and Military only."
    That doesn't mean machine guns as they require paying an one time federal tax of $200.

In the US, it all depends on where one lives to how easy it is to buy firearms and also get a concealed carry license. The same every State is different applies to so many things.
    As a Veteran, my driver's license is free and the cost of a license plate renewal is $1. Actually, it is free, the $1 pays for them to mail instead of me driving there.

How is it getting easier to get a firearm?

Here as a Veteran, I can purchase firearms that are Law Enforcement and Military only. However, I'm not sure what that means except the display case had a sign stating "Law Enforcement and Military only."
    That doesn't mean machine guns as they require paying an one time federal tax of $200.

In the US, it all depends on where one lives to how easy it is to buy firearms and also get a concealed carry license. The same every State is different applies to so many things.
    As a Veteran, my driver's license is free and the cost of a license plate renewal is $1. Actually, it is free, the $1 pays for them to mail instead of me driving there.

How can I explain this... I'm still learning english, but I hate that Google translator. I'll try, but my message can be kinda funny because I lack experience writting.
    Here at Brazil, like, 4 years ago, you used to write a letter to the local county sherif explaining why do you want to buy a firearm. If he found that you got a valid reason like pest control, home defense, he wowuld run a background check and grant you a permit to buy and keep a firearm at home. Almost no one could get a concealed carry license, unless your life was at risk or you needed one for your job, but only when your job requires a firearm or also put your life at risk, like if your job is dealing with security, or you are a member of the law enforcement, or a Judge, or a Lawyer dealing with criminals, and so on.
    Now things have changed. You still need to write that dreaded letter but you don't need to give a reason and they can't say "no". They will just run the background checks and you didn't have any trouble in the past 5 years you will be on your way to buy your firearm.
    But you still can't carry it, for that, you need another license, and even though we still can't get a concealed carry license if our life isn't at risk or if your job don't require a firearm, you can get a "special concealed carry license" that you don't ask anyone for, you just buy the license from the military as long as your background check is okay. With that license you can't bring your firearm with you to your job or to keep loitering on the streets, but you can bring you firearm with you when you are going to a friend's house, when you are going to the range (any shoting range of the country, even if you are intenting to go there as a visitor) or to another property of yours. You also can't shoot it at home unless you have so much space that even a stray shoot won't hit anything that isn't yours.
    I have an standart .22LR rifle and that's it. Another one would cost me $ 4000 at our local coin, and an old but still working car costs about the same.
    Another funny thing, the military keeps a record of who owns airguns for "only god knows" purposes, a very detailed record with name, adress, social security number, and name, model and "number" of the airgun. But there is no background check for airguns, you only need to be over 18 years old to buy and own a spring powered one and be over 21 years old to buy a PCP one.
    And you need to be over 25 years old to buy a firearm. Also, you need to be over 18 years old to buy archery equipment, but anyone, even kids, can own it, if someone buys it for them. Kids and teens can also use and carry around (inside the case of course) or keep at their rooms or dorms any airgun, and shoot them at any place that you can shoot a firearm, they just can't sell them because it isn't their property.
    So, turns out that in my life I first got an slingshot when I was a very young lad that hunted and eated any bird and didn't care about hunting regulations. Then a crossbow, when I was 13. I could not even draw it without almost peeing myself at first. It's still my today's crossbow, with a few upgrades. I only used it for targed shotingng until last week. Then I learned how to extract black gunpowder from fireworks and things got wild, I almost blew my fingers off a couple of times. My dad's reaction was buying me an chinese B3 Underlever airgun, and teling me that I only got 2 hands after I turned 18 I got some other airguns for smal game hunting, when I was 21 I bougth my PCP and earlier this year I turned 25 and got my firearm.
    Rigth now I have 4 normal airguns, 2 PCP airguns, a crossbow and a firearm. I already gave a crossbow and an airgun to my 16 years old brother via the "It' his brother's airgun" loophole.

Your English is just fine.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks, Rick. I'm also learning spanish.

I definity agree.

Deimos,
    I enjoy air rifles a real lot. They are extremely accurate and ammunition is very expensive. My springers and gas piston rifles have done a lot to help the wife advance her shooting skills. Using Mil-dot scopes and an air rifle is how she learned to create and use a range card. Now, she uses what she learned with Mi-Dots and air rifles to apply with .223, 5.56 and 22-250.
    Same as a house, a good foundation goes far with CF rifles.

I definity agree.

Deimos,
    I enjoy air rifles a real lot. They are extremely accurate and ammunition is very expensive. My springers and gas piston rifles have done a lot to help the wife advance her shooting skills. Using Mil-dot scopes and an air rifle is how she learned to create and use a range card. Now, she uses what she learned with Mi-Dots and air rifles to apply with .223, 5.56 and 22-250.
    Same as a house, a good foundation goes far with CF rifles.

So maybe you can give me some tips. My wife is utterly terrified of handling guns, even airguns. How can I convince her to give it a try? About 14 years ago, when we were still only best friends, she saw me killing a pig at my dad's farm with my oldest and weakest airgun and since then she won't touch it because it's "a deadly gun like any other gun" and she is scared of handling it. It's weird because she isn't scare of seeing me shoot. I tried to teach her to shoot myself, I even tried to take her to the range where they give lessons for free, but she always said something like "nah, I prefer to spend the afternoon doing some knitting" (she loves knitting).

Sorry Deimos, Although, I know its medical name, hoplophobia; I don't have an answer. I'd search for hoplophobia and see if there is any medical based advice.

Sorry Deimos, Although, I know its medical name, hoplophobia; I don't have an answer. I'd search for hoplophobia and see if there is any medical based advice.
    Wow, really? I swear that I didn't realise that it could be a medical thing. I will talk with her about talking about it with her therapist. We have a wonderful insurance thanks to my job as a civil servant.
    Thanks for the info, it's always good to talk with more experienced people. I'm learning a lot at this forum.

Wow, really? I swear that I didn't realise that it could be a medical thing. I will talk with her about talking about it with her therapist. We have a wonderful insurance thanks to my job as a civil servant.
    Thanks for the info, it's always good to talk with more experienced people. I'm learning a lot at this forum.
    Firearms aren't dangerous unless they are in the wrong hands.

This forum is a good place to learn.

Firearms aren't dangerous unless they are in the wrong hands.

This forum is a good place to learn.
    True. It's dangerous to live without a firearm. These are my 2 cents on the subject.