Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Gems from the Gutter - part 1

There's a city in Arizona called Tuscon and one of the locals told me it is one of the most populated cities in the state. We went there to go to a co-op food market
    and there were quite a few people milling aimlessly about. But they just blended right into the city as if it was only natural, it was a very weird to see.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. - Mahatma Ghandi
    Individually we are a drop, together, we are an ocean. - Ryunosuke Satoro

3/4 of the food I got at food banks was canned. Once a month, you got your pick of 25 items, sometimes more, altho limited in each category (meat/fish was one, fruits was another,, etc. There was lots of long term stuff, but quite a bit of pastry and produce. Homeless rarely have a way to cook (dont want to haul around pots and pans, or risk leaving them anyplace) beyond using the microwave at the college and convenience stores and no refrigeration. I had a van, so I could use an alcohol stove, but I never needed to. I did use an icebox for a couple of summers.. I rarely took produce, cause it "cost" too much for no more food value than it offers. I'd rather have the canned stuff, or at least, big bags of rice, beans, pasta. Mostly, you ride your bicycle to the church for lunch, and to the Salvation Army mission for supper, and have powdered milk, cereal and dried fruit for breakfast (or do without)

cooking is my weak link. How did you prepare the beans and rice? soak them over night and then microwave them? I'm curious, I've cooked them by leaving them on the corner of a wood cookstove and let them slow cook all day or by using a beanhole. Or in a modern environment, a electric crockpot.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Blog Entries

So, although (that's really how you spell it) you were not destitute (socking away the money for college) you decided that it would be OK to take food from the food bank that others truly needed? That says a lot. Thanks for letting us know.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have to think that loading up on carbohydrates and protein with no vegetable/roughage has to be pretty bad on the body. Not having a balanced diet for a couple of years had to take a toll on you. What sort of physical ailments did you incur? Rickets? Scurvy? Those would be common ailments with that sort of diet.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    So, although (that's really how you spell it) you were not destitute (socking away the money for college) you decided that it would be OK to take food from the food bank that others truly needed? That says a lot. Thanks for letting us know.
    Come on Crash, don't you think he was ENTITLED to that free food. After all, he was saving up the taxpayers' cash to buy a woman!
    Come to the dark side, we have pudding.

I have to go back and reread. Did he say buy or rent?