Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gems from the Gutter - part 1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I was washing out a pan when they came up out of the creek like little rockets.

"Snake!" They yelled. "Come look! Come on!" How can you resist that? That's exactly what it's all about!
    They were calling everyone's attention to you, Rick.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Uh huh. And you didn't get any of the peach OR cherry cobbler did you? There's a reason you didn't get any of it. You can think about that if you need to. By the way, I'm keeping track of all the foul things you call me. I'm going to talk to Chris about a slow ban just for you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Cool My two pennies.

This just goes to prove that "survival" is NOT fun & games. Both of you had a helluva time, & I'm glad you came out the other side ok. But I've noticed that there's no talk about a big "survival knife" that you were carrying around. Numpties need to pay attention here!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

there was a knife. poco had 3 on him at all times. one on his back and two on his sides.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

Well that's true but they weren't the Big monstrosities that Sarge is talking about. I carried 3 folding liner locks all CRKT's - Point Guard, M16 and another that I don't recall off hand I think it was a different version of the m16. Hey my street name was "Catfish" I had to have 3 sharp "fins".

I left out just how violent the streets can be, people were killed while we were out there You really need some form of protection, a lot of homeless carried some kind of "weapon". One guy called "Highway" carried a claw hammer and slept with it.some just a "walking stick".
    Last edited by pocomoonskyeyes; 08-25-2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: additional material in message

Lifes decisions are what we have. that is all we have.
    I came from a POS place called Valley Station Ky. Born to a bastard and a Bit==. Both uneducated and mean beyond reason. I like many others made decisions and gained predjudices from our folks.
    Our homeless friend has reasons to be homeless mostly decisions that he made. Like temporay work. Seasonal work is just that seasonal and not for a life time..

I am glad you got up on your feet. Now where are you going to walk to.

Respect
    Daniel
    USMC/Army Airborne
    Last edited by HanoverDan; 08-25-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Thank you for sharing a difficult time and helping us to learn. A question, I don't mind helping a homeless person but, I don't want to help the scammer. How can you tell the difference?

Blog Entries

Cool Well,since you asked....

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Thank you for sharing a difficult time and helping us to learn. A question, I don't mind helping a homeless person but, I don't want to help the scammer. How can you tell the difference?
    It's hard to spot a real scammer; most of them appear to want to work, & the stories that some of them will tell you are scams. Here's one way; In our town, & others around here, panhandling is illegal. A scammer wants money, usually for drugs & alcohol, while a homeless person usually is looking for food, clothes, a bed with a roof over their head, etc.. However, the scammer, being hindered by the "No Panhandling" law, will have a sign that is designed to tug on your heartstrings. Here are a couple: "Homeless Vet needs to fix car to get home!" or: "Will work for food!" I saw one of these a few years back with the "food" sign a short distance away from a fast food place. People would bring him food, which he quickly stashed in a backpack, wanting to gain cash instead. Here's what I do: I ask them where there car is, for example. Then I explain that I know someone who's a top mechanic who can help them, or I direct them to someplace who will. If they decline the help, it's more than likely a scam. When they do that I call the police & tell them that there's a person in trouble who needs help. If they can convince the cops that their plight is a serious one then the police will not only direct them, but often will take them to where they need to be. When I worked at the Mission the police were always bringing people in for food, clothing, & a bed. "3 hots and a cot," as they liked to call it! I never give somebody like that money, but will help them get to the right agency, pantry, etc.. I have even offered food from my own pantry to some. Always talk to them & then check out their story. I believe in helping those that are truly in need, but I've seen a lot of scam-artists in my time as well. Later on I'll relate one guy that took me two days to crack his story; it's pretty wild.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 08-26-2009 at 12:18 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

thanks for sharing your story

Rebel that's a hard one to answer. Like when someone is "flying a sign"(homeless slang for holding a sign at a on ramp or such with wording like "will work for food" etc.) Take them up on what their sign says(or at least offer to) offer work if they take you up on the offer then they are probably genuine. a lot if not most are just asking for money(but not all) another variation is "stranded need help" they might be really stranded,and just need a tank of gas. (yes some do have vehicles, that IS their "house"). There was one Faker/fraud/con artist that I saw hold a sign every day at the same spot, 3 or 4 times a day his wife? Girlfriend? would stop and he would give her the money he had gotten so far. He made a living out of it... and made it harder for those who really needed it. There are frauds. I mean I even flew a sign when I had to have money for something I couldn't get any other way. I hated doing it, absolutely hated it. But I had to on ocassion, That may be the key too, frequency of panhandling. There are other ways of getting money when you are homeless most of which are illegal. Taking wiring out of abandoned buildings etc. Panhandling is illegal every place I've been. But if you need money and you need it quick(that's a relative term maybe quicker is better),Panhandling is the easiest fast way to get cash. If you see someone out there for 2 or 3 days and then don't see them for a while,they are probably "genuine" (for lack of a better word)
    You see the psychology of the sign "will work for food" is this - Most people are NOT going to take a dirty homeless person home to cut the grass, rake the leaves etc. Those that feel compassionate enough would rather just pull over and give them 2 or 3 dollars or so. Some are not even hungry. Bring back a burger off the dollar menu, judge from their expression,whether they are genuine or not. Chances are that 95% are really after the money, not necessarily just to con you out of yours,but because there is something that they NEED that they can't get any other way. Out of that 95%, probably half need money for drugs or alcohol the other half probably need something,cigarettes, food, pots,blankets, coats etc.The other 5% are nothing but pure con artist.Sometimes though they are trying to provide something for themselves AND someone else. I knew a couple that that was the only way they could get stuff. She would Fly and he would wait and worry if she was alright. If he could go and hide in some bushes nearby he felt better about her safety, he could watch out after her. He was totally illiterate couldn't read a word other than his name.
    When all is said and done I don't know if I could tell you if a person was genuine or not. Just like you and I , I would have to get to know them. Man I'm sorry I don't even feel like I've answered your question at all. Maybe given you some insight into the why's but not the answer you are looking for. If there are many homeless in your area, chances are that somebody somewhere is working with the homeless. Find out who, you might be surprised at what insights they can give you. They know the individuals and probably know their story. Homeless kind of have to get to know you before they will talk to you much or trust you, so the homeless outreach people have the groundwork in and probably know who is who in the scheme of things. When I was on the street I could've told you who was genuine and who wasn't because I knew them. Trust is a very precious thing among the homeless, it isn't usually given freely. Oh they may talk to you and tell you there story, but trust you, probably not they've been hurt cheated and lied to. They don't trust anyone very easy.

thanks guys for what you all said. that was a difficult time but people can do one of two things they can either learn and move on for the better or they can stop and drown in their own sorrows. i have grown a lot since those years but i always look back on those years to remember where i have come from. i have dreams and know that with hard work i can accomplish what i set out to do. it may be hard but i know i can do it.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

Default For any Homeless Veterans in Kentucky

There is help for you under Kentucky Law. This is the Law -
    http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/040-00/340.pdf
    You should check with the state's Community Assistance Center in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    .... I could collect unemployment as long as I had an address.When I lost the address I lost the unemployment.For the same reason (no address) I could not draw welfare or food stamps. I could not return to work without a place to get clean and all that,so that pretty much ended my stint in the work force as well.....
    It wasn't until I realized this, thanks to a former co-worker, that I understood why so many are homeless. Yes, some choose to be homeless and are in fact lazy bums. But, there are many who, just like you, had an unfortunate set of circumstances land them in this position.

I hope more people realize this and will encourage our gov't to change the laws and ways these freebies are handed out. So, that people who really need them have access to em and provide a way for folks to get out of this situation if they want to.

After losing my home I could have easily been left in this same position. Fortunately, I had a place and family to stay with...an address, phone# and a place to clean up.

Glad you told this story Poco.

wow poco..that was a five star read my friend. Thanks for taking the time to share that with us. That one is going to stick with me for a while i bet....you should write a book..i would buy one for sure.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. -Thoreau

Thank you Poco for a great life story. Valuable lessons for anyone.
    And while the law of competition may be sometimes hard for the individual, it is best for the race, because it ensures the survival of the fittest in every department.

Fear of destruction and imminent danger are those that will ultimately drive us forward onto survival in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    I will say again, I always had less than kind thoughts about the homeless. After reading your contribution I can say that has changed quite a bit. Thank you for sharing. And as Rick said, was not a waste of my time.
    ditto

Thanks OP

Hey, Op. How about heading over to our Introduction section and telling us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've read this thread several times without comment. Sadly, I still don't know what to say. This is very inspiring and heartfelt.

And to think you came from this, to your own homestead farm. Dreams can come true. Perseverance pays off. Sometimes you have to suffer to appreciate the simple(r) things in life. I'm honored to have you as a friend that has true experience.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    I've read this thread several times without comment. Sadly, I still don't know what to say. This is very inspiring and heartfelt.

And to think you came from this, to your own homestead farm. Dreams can come true. Perseverance pays off. Sometimes you have to suffer to appreciate the simple(r) things in life. I'm honored to have you as a friend that has true experience.
    I also consider you a friend and a good one at that.

You know what they say, "Behind every successful man there is an ambitious woman." Equus - Dottie deserves a LOT of credit. It was she who gave me the inspiration and drive to leave the streets behind. It was she, who said "I can't keep living like this." It was her, who said, " I don't know where we can get a job." This made me recall that not all my bridges were burnt. IF we could find a way to get a bath on a regular basis (harder than you might think on the streets), I knew where we could get a job. That job thought highly enough of me,(and worried about where I was,although I didn't know it.) That her interview consisted of - "So you've known Mel for a while huh? Well you have got a job." They chatted for a few more minutes just for appearances sake, and we were hired. It wasn't easy, some nights we slept in some bushes outside the office,just so we would be there when it was time to leave at 2:30 in the morning. But we gradually "Moved up" in the world. And now you know where the credit truly lies. With a woman who I felt I had to protect and get out of that life.

As Paul Harvey would say- "Now you know the rest of the story.....Good Day!"