Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Get Started: Advice from one Newbie to other Newbies

Blog Entries

WOW! TM that was a great post, personally I think it should be on the Main Page, very very good write up. Seems we have another great mind in the Pack.
    While I have a little knowledge on the outdoors I am always learning here, everytime I get on here I learn something new.
    Anyway I can help anyone out let me know and TM glad that something I posted helped you.
    Beo,
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I second that...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    At the risk of repeating myself - Rick, you are a baaaaaddddd mannnnnn!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Thumbs up Getting Started. . .You Certainly Have!

TucsonMax,

I have been quite busy this summer and have not posted here much, so first I will say welcome to the insanity.

Secondly, that is a very well thought out and beautifully executed post. Much applause!

Personally, I believe the you will be a great asset to the forum and you've learned the how-to and have laid a solid foundation on which to build your house of survival knowledge. It should be very sturdy as learning is an ever evolving and growing process.

Good Luck!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

"PIRACY IN THE BLOOD" Icemancometh's Avatar

From another newbie, that was very insightful. The devil is in the details.
    ""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""

TucsonMax,

I am still a bumbling idiot (I liked that term in your post) and am trying to learn so I can move to Newbie status.

Thanks for writing an excellent post. Though I've been a member here since earlier this year, I took a hiatus while getting settled into my new, very concrete, South American living environment. We are hoping to get some country land soon so I am just now getting back into trying to learn, and am putting together goals for a 1-year survival plan for a family of 6 (including 4 kids ages 6 & under.)

For some of us who are also trying to put together 1-pagers, do you have a blog or site where you post any of the information you've put together?
    Last edited by smhg; 11-01-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Smhg - you should pick Pict's brain when you see him on line. He just moved back to Brazil last week.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crashdive123 - thanks! He has sent a note to me back in April when I joined and I finally wrote back the other day when I came back to the forum. Brazil is a very different kind of place and it is hard to find the things I need/want. I will for sure be picking his brain for tips.

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smhg-in-brazil View Post
    For some of us who are also trying to put together 1-pagers, do you have a blog or site where you post any of the information you've put together?
    smhg:
    Thanks for your kind words.
    I hadn't thought of posting my 1-pagers. They need cleaning-up and some more work to make sense, but a good idea. I'll work on in after the 1st.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

heres a tiny thought: if you dont know anything about the topic youre posting to, maybe it would be best to not post at all.

if youre going to inject a bit of humor thats just fine with me. i think we all like the humor around here.

but ive read post after post after post where a guy asks a question and 10 people feel the need to say "sorry, i dont know anything about that." it makes it pretty hard to sift through to get to a bit of knowledge.

just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladen View Post
    heres a tiny thought: if you dont know anything about the topic youre posting to, maybe it would be best to not post at all.

if youre going to inject a bit of humor thats just fine with me. i think we all like the humor around here.

but ive read post after post after post where a guy asks a question and 10 people feel the need to say "sorry, i dont know anything about that." it makes it pretty hard to sift through to get to a bit of knowledge.

just a thought.
    It's a trade off. If somebody asks a question to which folks that are on-line do not know the answer ---- we've been accused of ignoring somebody because they were new, or asked a "dumb" question. It's not the case, but it seems to happen a lot if no responses are received.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks for the primer. I need all the anti-bumble ammo I can get.

Hey, where in the world is TucsonMax?!
    Hope he got that car fixed.

Smile

I wasn't able to see which questions I got wrong after I took the quiz. Is there a trick I missed ?
    Last edited by doormatt; 07-05-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by doormatt View Post
    I wasn't able to see which questions I got wrong after I took the quiz. Is there a trick I missed ?
    When you take the quiz it and hit the grade me button it will give you the areas you need to brush up on. There is then a button that will give you the details on each question you missed, along with an email being sent to the address you provided.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by doormatt View Post
    Go back and take it over. When in doubt answer "waterproof".
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You know we're going to have to put a leash on you don't you? We can't have you runnin' around the front yard scaring all the neighbors.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

ha ha.. you must be the class clown. I love clowns.

here's a question for you..
    as a Kentuckian.. at what point, did your fingers begin out numbering your teeth?

Wow! I'm sure with that as your second post, you will endear yourself to the membership here.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Wow! I'm sure with that as your second post, you will endear yourself to the membership here.
    What's worse is now he's got kyrat's attention.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    What's worse is now he's got kyrat's attention.
    Yeah, I hope he has good luck with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel