Thread: Skipping Rocks

Default Skipping Rocks

Nothing accompanies deep thought better than skipping rocks across a body of water. How many times can you make a rock skip? Think you can beat this record:

Story Published: Sep 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM PDT

Story Updated: Sep 30, 2007 at 5:22 PM PDT
    By Associated Press
    FRANKLIN, Pa. (AP) - A Pennsylvania man cast a stone that skipped on water a whopping 51 times, shattering the old world record of 40.

Russell "Rock Bottom" Byars' feat happened July 19, where the Allegheny River meets French Creek in Franklin, about 70 miles north of Pittsburgh. He estimated his stone traveled about 250 feet.

Before declaring him a record-holder, Guinness World Records experts analyzed film of Byars' toss, checking the concentric circles in the water by each skip.

"I actually threw 40 stones that day, but that was the first skip that I threw," Byars told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, which confirmed the record with Guinness officials.

The old record, set in 2002, was held by Kurt Steiner, 42, of Emporium.

That's one powerful arm
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

It's more in the technique than the raw strength...
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Cool Awww.....

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    It's more in the technique than the raw strength...
    I think you guys got rocks in your head....maybe.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Default awww

Does someone have "issues" about skipping rocks? Did someone suck at skipping rocks when he was a kid? ...
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Talking Well, since you mentioned it...

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Does someone have "issues" about skipping rocks? Did someone suck at skipping rocks when he was a kid? ...
    Knocked out a Carp one time, shoulda got a medal....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin