Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction

User Name: AbandonAllHope

30 years old

Male

Small Town, Southern Ontario, Canada

Your Level of Experience: intermediate

Your Preparedness Planning: "type and level" - not sure what the standard response there is, I have my own idea as for levels of preparedness. I guess I would classify myself as, well prepared, with lots of room for improvement though.

Your Interests and Hobbies: Gardening, wilderness skills, urban survival preparation, bow-making, food storage/preserving, backpacking, hiking, canoeing

Your Membership and Learning Objectives:
    Came across via an old post on a relevant topic I was searching. Looked like a forum worth belonging to. Long time, expert forum user and run a few myself. Always enjoying reading and discussing topics of interest with like minded individuals.

=========================================
    I was asked to introduce myself so here it is ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Blog Entries
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Banned
    Blog Entries

Welcome Dante.......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hope View Post
    Welcome Dante.......
    Guess he wants us to abandon you, Hope.

Nope. I won't do it. Never. Loyalty is EVERYTHING!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by hope View Post
    Welcome Dante.......
    lol, actually i didnt take it from INFERNO, its from an old SciFi show in the 90s.

Space: Above and Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Guess he wants us to abandon you, Hope.

Nope. I won't do it. Never. Loyalty is EVERYTHING!

It's always interesting, people always short form it to "Abandon", or "Hope".

Personally I prefer Hope lol. but i guess thats taken....

Blog Entries

Cool Hi & Welcome!

Hey! How can you consider ANY show from the '90's old?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Hey! How can you consider ANY show from the '90's old?
    true enough, I am used to calling it that because it was only on for 1 season, and almost no one has ever heard of it. Not very survival related, but then I have been using this name online for 13 years or so

Hello and welcome! Sounds like you have a sense of humor. I think that will be your best survival tool on the forum.

I answered how prepared am i at more length

i made a thread, cause that question reminded me of my old list from 2003 my friends and i made.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...280#post145280

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome home.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

howdy
    how much time do ya spend in the bush? are you a bug out or bug in thpe of fella?
    ever make it up north?
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Hello and welcome.

"PIRACY IN THE BLOOD" Icemancometh's Avatar

Welcome from Kentucky.
    ""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""

Welcome aboard.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    howdy
    how much time do ya spend in the bush? are you a bug out or bug in thpe of fella?
    ever make it up north?
    Thats a tough one, I guess I would say I am a bug in person, with a desire to become a stronger bug out person. I am not a huge bush-man yet, but I am working towards it, moving in steps.

In thinking about your question, I have tried to think of the progression to where I am now. In a way the question is almost "how fringe are you?" lol.
    So here are my origins:

1.) In 2002/2003, through my own interest in economics, and the economy, and in the lead up to the Iraq war, I start trying to gain a better understanding of the forces at work out there in the world economy.
    I become a big Gold Bug, and start taking steps towards acquiring some. I start my own blog with some friends, and start to write about some of the issues. I firmly believe we are headed for a housing collapse, and a 2nd Great Depression. I start to ask myself, what steps can I take to prepare for such an event. Basically, get out of debt, get a mortgage before rates start to go up, and buy gold.

2.) Aug. 15th, 2003 - The Big Blackout. I run the Software/Product Development, for a private software firm. Our office isnt down town, as we are a smaller company, and we have had blackouts before. After about an hour and half, I sent our guys home and start to make my way home as well. It doesnt take long to notice, there is something very very not normal about this blackout. I had moderate general camping supplies, and actually set up camp at a friends that evening. I was actually disappointed when our power started coming back in areas. It was long enough to scare people, but not long enough for them to learn. I decide that day, I will never be dependent on other people again.....

3.) In early 2004 I bought my first house at the age 24. As a new home owner I now have the option to start preparing for emergncies properly (As opposed to being in an apt). My main motivations are that I dont like the idea of being dependent upon other people for my survival, and I also want to eat/drink whole organic foods. In the city options are limited, but I live near the edge of my city, and I have a good sized lot (60x160). I start some gardens, and focus on learning to preserve foods, and save seeds. This type of preparation is good for bugging in, and for the coming Depression I believe in, but I recognize the need to be able to hunt for food as well. Around this time I start to learn about making and using your own wood Bows. For me that is the ultimate in self sufficience, as you dont need to worry about ammo, or your weapon, and you can always make more. However, it is something I am still very green at, and even though its been 5 years, I have yet to really invest the time I need to in this.
    I also start looking at all the possible scenarios which need survival, and start preparing for a bug-out scenario as well. Both the minor bug out, and the more extreme SHTF bug-out. I create rotating queues of Food stores, approx 32 Gallons of drinking water. I also keep a shed full of fire wood, extra propane canisters, and I always have 4 tanks of gas. My car at the time can do about 375miles on a tank of gas. I keep it full, and then 3 tanks worth (approx 44 Gallons) of gas in large jerry cans. So in a bug out scenario, I would have a range of approx 1500 miles. (Enough to get way up North).

4.) August 29th, 2005. Katrina serves as a reminder of the need to prepare. Where I am is very safe from natural disasters, but the need to be prepared remains the same. This time period I really get all of my kits, BOB, etc, all up to the level they should be, and keep everything in good order. I start focusing on learning the skills one would actually need to use, if bugging out.

5.) August 2006. I buy a Brand new Jeep Rubicon .

6.) August 2008-October 2008. The financial collapse I had been preparing for for 5+ years finally hits. IMO it was the first leg down of the Second Great Depression. We are currently living in the eye of the hurricane, and much worse is still to come. Using this time to continue trying to become as ruggedly independent as possible. Hopefully in the coming years I should be married and starting a family, renting out my house and buying a small farm, and some bushland up north. Working now towards gaining more wilderness experience, getting my white water canoing certification, more survival training and practice, doing winter camping, doing remote wilderness camping, etc etc. Having a significant other who is open minded and genuinely interested in these things as well = best thing ever.

So there is the very long answer, to your very short question
    Last edited by AbandonAllHope; 08-20-2009 at 02:58 PM.

very well thought out answer, you are prepareing well, if you don't spend much time in the bush, why focus on that, you are doing well planning for economic emergency and and natural/civil emergency
    reason i ask where you are is i am around the sudbury area, lots of good bush and good training up here, just wondering if you niagara region or way down south, i am looking to try another attempt at a get together including some of the northern states boys and ontario members
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

That is a pretty well thought out plan, AAH. I don't necessarily see eye to eye with you but that really isn't material. Whatever is right for you is the right path. I do like the fact that at 24 you've already recognized the need for long term planning and you recognize that instant gratification often induces long term commitment, generally in the form of debt.

Remember to rank your threats from more likely to least likely in order to focus your resources on those big ticket items that will provide you the greatest amount of protection.

Cudos to you. You are well on your way to independent living and long term preparation.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That is a pretty well thought out plan, AAH. I don't necessarily see eye to eye with you but that really isn't material. Whatever is right for you is the right path. I do like the fact that at 24 you've already recognized the need for long term planning and you recognize that instant gratification often induces long term commitment, generally in the form of debt.

Remember to rank your threats from more likely to least likely in order to focus your resources on those big ticket items that will provide you the greatest amount of protection.

Cudos to you. You are well on your way to independent living and long term preparation.
    At 30 now, and getting generally close (2-4 years) from being a family man, I still have lots to do, but then I think everyone can always do more.

@guy from sudbury. This fall I am doing a week at kilarney, my friends take 2 trips a year. One idea I have been trying to swing for a couple years, is winter camping in alogonquin. During the winter you are allowed to camp anywhere (as long as its out of ear shot, and eye sight of trails), and you are allowed to gather wood for fire wood. I have almost made it out twice, but its never worked out. My plan with that was to set up a real camp, and then off to the side a survival camp. Practice different winter shelters, fire starting methods, etc etc. You can always bail out to the real camp if it gets too extreme. Anyway, that might make for a nice jamboree type event, but could be a little bit harsh, not sure. Just an idea.