Thread: Bug out Vest?

Default Bug out Vest?

I saw this yesterday and thought it was kinda cool. Does anyone know of anything similar or would you even consider this?

24185_1.jpg

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/...v=2&item=24185

, somebody got the V for Vehicle wrong, and went ahead and made something new

It's an interesting idea, but you might as well make a Bugout Hikers Backpack, since that vest would have to be grabbed in the same fashion, and a big hiking backpack would hold much more.

I have a Personal Survival Kit built as a secondary wallet. The Stealthiness of it being in a wallet could qualify it as a bugout type kit, though obviously the size is more for emgency preparedness....

Blog Entries

AbandonAllHope, can you bugout to our Introductions Section?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813

Thanks!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    AbandonAllHope, can you bugout to our Introductions Section?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813

Thanks!
    lol, sure, you could've im'd me but yes i would be happy to.

Actually the vest is an excellent idea. One of our members ( I think Kllak) is in the wilds extensively and has a vest setup that he uses. From what I see of his and discussions in the past it makes a lot of sense to have your "stuff" right on your body . I agree with him and have used a variation throughout the military. I like to have my stuff close by. But as always, it is what you become comfortable with. And more is not always better, especially if you do not have it with you.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Actually the vest is an excellent idea. One of our members ( I think Kllak) is in the wilds extensively and has a vest setup that he uses. From what I see of his and discussions in the past it makes a lot of sense to have your "stuff" right on your body . I agree with him and have used a variation throughout the military. I like to have my stuff close by. But as always, it is what you become comfortable with. And more is not always better, especially if you do not have it with you.
    The vest is awesome, I wasnt meaning to imply the vest wasnt a good item. My comment was on the very common acronym BOV, or Bug Out Vehicle, with the V changing to Vest . That was all.

As to the issue of size, I guess it comes down to ones definition of bugging out. If the main idea is having something prepared ahead of time that you can grab at a moments notice, then if you are going to have to grab the vest/bag, you could equally be grabbing a large hiking bag as well. When it comes to bugging out, my personal preference would be a large BOB (bug out bag), but a lot of that has to do with where you are, what you ahve to do to get out, etc etc.

I have a CamelBak hydration vest that can be modified by attaching pouches where you want them. I don't have any pouches on it at this time, although I do have it set up to "Dock & Lock" my Kifaru E&E pack to it. Any MOLLE or ALICE pouches should work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I know what hunts you.

Thats cool, I would use something like that as a secondary BOB to leave at work or in the other car.
    I have a "fanny pack" that I keep in the secondary vehicle just incase SHTF when I am driving that and not my truck. It has a small first aid kit, some fishing gear, couple of water filtration tablets and 2 lighters.
    Surviving in Los Angeles-

Oldsoldier has one that's pretty neat. It carries a lot of weight but it's pretty light when you get it on. I know that sounds odd but I think it distributes the weight pretty well making it feel less heavy.

Where did you get that one, oldsoldier?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think it makes very good sense especially if used in Tandem with a BOB. That way if you take the bag off on a rest break and a bear or something comes along and you have to bug out from your bag you still have Something with you. Plus you have more places to carry some of your smal needy items close at hand at all times.

I love a good vest, and have a highly modified fishing vest that I use for all my stuff (you can see it in my avatar). I wear it almost all the time, so a significant amount of gear is always immediately at hand.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2