Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: wolfpack gathering

Default wolfpack gathering

i think we should plan a 3 or 4 day session next summer somewhere we could practice our skills and learn and teach and get to know each other network a bit. who would be interested in this

Great idea but they are hard to organize location is hard to centralize and the date needs to be set way out. I think the location should be some place on public wilderness so you can come as you wish and will know expencises more or less and don't need reservations which won't burden last minute cancels.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

i agree that's why i am proposing now for next summer/early fall get every ones input come up with a location and take it from there.

It would depend on where we'd meet. I can't get a great deal of work off (maybe a week) so the max I could travel is maybe a day or two *sad face*
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

well the first thing to do if find who is interested. then get a geographical look at where would best suit a meeting then recon the area(member who lives closest) then take from there..

hey do not forget to read this this weekend i want some replies here....

Voyageur enseignant

wareagle69 ... Your suggestion sounds very interesting, and also practical (from the standpoint of actually putting all our combined skills and studies together to see what actually works, and what is unworkable). I agree with HOP and mitch, logistically speaking, it's going to be a real challenge. We have state lands that have the North Country Scenic Trail running through it, as well as a lot of somewhat remote woodlands. If the idea is to "practice", yet still have some not-too-distant medical help and/or sources of supplies, check out the Yankee Springs/Gun Lake area of Michigan's Lower Peninsula online. I'm not as familiar with the Hiawatha National Forest in the UP, but mitch should have a better handle on that area. Just a thought ... but it sounds like something I'd like to participate in, if possible. It would be a great "sounding-board" experience! NorthWind
    Last edited by NorthWindTrails; 10-30-2007 at 01:35 AM.

Blog Entries

I'd like to attend if it's alright with ya'll, bring my son and teach him in a setting where he could meet others who have the same intrests. Share some fireside tales, and practice our skills together. Minnesota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Kentucky, all seem good places to me. I can get a good detailed topo map of any park or area if given ample notice. Even Tennessee sounds good so it's close to everyone. Although I don't know where everyone lives. I can get the time off with no problem, and travel is not a problem either.
    Anyway if I can help with anything let me know.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I’d like to but I’m not sure I’d be able to.

sounds great

I would like to say that if I decide to attend this (most likely) I would be happy to pick up 1 or 2 along the way even remotely along the route ,it can be hard to juggle time off money and such . This is my treat and as long as you don't mind my dog (big but friendly) you would be welcome. I am retired and have my own schedule. I want to say that I don't care to go to Illinos because of the gun laws .

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Blog Entries

Are you taking guns on the trip?
    HOP said: I want to say that I don't care to go to Illinos because of the gun laws.
    I'm not big on the gun thing for a trip like this.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

If you CCW it is for the unsuspected need not the expected one if I expect troble or have to travel into or through unsafe areas I either don't go or use another route or carry I dought that a fire arm would be needed in camp or for camp use but if a person has convinced himself that he needs a CCW then he needs to carry or admit that the whole need is just silly carjackers don't know that we are going to make smores they like to prey on out of towners.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I guess your right. I just have this need to know, call it my curious nature, need to know or snoopyness, I cary off duty sometimes for the same reasons (especially here in Cincinnati), and am not opposed to carrying in the camp if it happens. But remember all state laws do not cross over, i.e. the ccw law for Kentucky does not apply here in Ohio so if one is caught carrying in Ohio with a ccw permit from Ky or any other states not in the common pact law that ohio has, they are charged with ccw. This law does mean that I (as a deputy sheriff) agree with it I am not sure on it as a common person, but on duty I have had to deal with it.
    Plus some of the people that may attend the camp we know nothing about, does that mean you trust them with a firearm? Hmmm... good question... any thoughts.

Maybe a small caliber pistol for personal protection but rifles would not be needed at all. If someone wanted to bring their 22 to show off their mean squirrel-cooking skills, I'd say that's fine. But if someone pops out their double barreled 12g or scoped .50 ... well, I'd be concerned.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.chesney View Post
    Maybe a small caliber pistol for personal protection but rifles would not be needed at all. If someone wanted to bring their 22 to show off their mean squirrel-cooking skills, I'd say that's fine. But if someone pops out their double barreled 12g or scoped .50 ... well, I'd be concerned.

Why? Do small caliber pistols make people less dead than big guns? What about the land mine building seminar that FVR and WarEagle were going to facilitate? (Kidding of course) The reality is that whatever side of the border the chosen spot is on, some of us won't be bringing any firearms. It's too much of a pain in the patootey (oh yes, I said it!) to get them over the 49th parallel these days.

I'd suggest there's plenty that could be done with firearms, but for a gathering like this, not so much. Plenty we can do without them as well.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Well said and agreed Trax

Well whenever I go to a national park or remote state park, I bring some kind of protection. In my area I'm lucky where there are no drug growers (that I know of or need be concerned over). But I have met some real dicks where I would've felt more comfortable with a firearm than with my fillet knife and a hatchet. You know... those redneck idiots who steal stuff right out of your camp while you sleep. yea.. it happened... and I tracked them down.

I said small caliber because I figured a small caliber sidearm could be used to hunt squirrel and whatnot. Whereas someone with a magnum has other intentions.

Blog Entries

Everyone brings good points to this forum, love it!
    guns do not kill people, people kill people, the projectile just hurts like hell

Default the question remains

Anyone out there wants to know how to skin and gut a deer or elk? I can't show 'em with a small caliber weapon. Well, I probably can, but I won't. So...what intentions would a person with a magnum have Mitch? I'm not trying to pick here and my other point...what if the agreed upon spot is up here in Canada? You're going to have a pain getting any firearms over the border and the same is true for Canadians trying to go south. What about some of our friends from "across the pond". Good luck! I just think the deal should be the same for everyone.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"