Thread: Survival situation scenario (Intermediate)

Blog Entries

Exclamation Survival situation scenario (Intermediate)

Intermediate

Your decisions now become more critical. Again this is meant to get you thinking. It is a training scenario. Your answers will be critiqued in such a way as to guides you to making the best decisions possible. Good luck.

You and your best friend are on day 2 of a 5 day fly in deer hunting trip to the McPherson passage side of Naked Island, Prince William Sound Alaska. Your camp is in an inlet just south of Kelso point. The time is 10:00am. About 20 minutes ago you heard a single rifle shot. You take out your FRS radio and call your buddy. No answer. You wait a few more minutes and try again. Not getting an answer you head in the direction you heard the shot thinking he got a deer and could use some help getting it back to camp.

At 12:30pm you find a fresh blood trail in the snow with boot tracks on top of it. (edit to add) Your friend is obviously following a wounded deer. The tracks lead you to a slop that is almost vertical. At the bottom of the slop some 50ft below you is your best friend. His Right leg has a grotesque bend in it and he is grunting and moaning as if in a great deal of pain.

Your camp is only a mile away but it will take you nearly 2 hours to get there and back because of the steep, high ridge between the camp and your current location.

You must get your friend off this island as quickly as possible to save his life.

Please be as detailed as possible explaining your actions in this scenario. i.e. “I used the electrical tape to splint my broken finger by taping it to the one next to it. Placing a wrap between the 2nd and 3rd knuckles also between the 3rd and 4th knuckles”.

Type of environment: Coastal bush Alaska (an island). The terrain is steep with elevations up to 1000ft. The vegetation varies from clear to brushy to heavily wooded. The ground is covered with a foot of fresh snow on top of a foot of old snow.

Weather conditions: Cloudy. Temperatures are the mid 20’s.

Season: Mid November

Equipment:
    You are wearing;
    Water proof hunting pants and parka w/liner
    Wool watch cap and baseball cap
    Set of polypro’ long underwear
    1 pair cotton boxer briefs
    1 pair mid weight smart wool socks, 1 pair heavy weight smart wool socks
    1 pair 800 thinsulate rubber knee boots
    1 pair polypro’ glove liners, 1 pair goretex leather gloves
    1 high quality fixed blade hunting knife
    1 Leatherman supertool
    Expensive divers style wrist watch
    (your friend is dressed similarly)

In your small day pack;
    LED head lamp
    1 5ft x 7ft piece of heavy plastic sheeting
    15ft 3 ply 3/8 twisted nylon rope
    Gerber folding saw
    50ft 550 cord
    1/2 roll of duct tape
    Small first aid kit
    Fire kit

NOTE: (at camp you have a cell phone. The battery is fully charged but the signal is weak to nothing at the camp. Other items at your camp would include normal cold weather camping items, i.e. Tent, sleeping bags & pads, propane buddy heater with extra propane bottles, etc. There is also a bottle with 6 10mg Vicoden, “a narcotic pain reliever”)

Supplies:
    1 PB&J
    1 small bag of trail mix
    1 liter bottle of water

Number of people in the group: 2

Each person's strengths: N/A, You know your own strengths. You friend is of no help to you.

Weaknesses: N/A,

Medical condition: Your friend has a badly broken leg Just below his knee
    Last edited by klkak; 10-04-2008 at 05:03 PM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Off the top of my head, I would check in with friend and ascertain his exact condition. If he is still able to operate his firearm ( I assume bears are a possibility ) and not injured beyond the leg, I would quickly rig a shelter for him with the plastic sheeting, leave the waste pack and food with him, and then immediately head for the camp. Upon arriving I would acquire the vicodin and cell phone. ( why didn't I Have this with me? )( better yet why didn't I have a e-perb? ) sleeping pad and sleeping bag, more food if we have it, send a text message requesting a medical evac and a response confirming receipt, and then make the phone call for help. I would also send the message, and make another call from the top of the ridge ( probably the best position for a signal ) separating him and the camp on my way back to his position. At his position I would give him a vicodin now and one every 12 hours, cover him with the sleeping bag, build a fire, and do whatever I can to ease his discomfort until the cavalry arrives. If I was not able to get a message through earlier now would be the time to go search for a good signal.
    Last edited by Deer Sniper; 10-04-2008 at 12:18 AM.
    Stephen K. Wood

O man this is a good one.
    I'll respond later.
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Sniper View Post
    I would check in with friend and ascertain his exact condition. If he is still able to operate his firearm ( I assume bears are a possibility ) and not injured beyond the leg, I would quickly rig a shelter for him with the plastic sheeting, leave the waste pack with him, and then immediately head for the camp. Upon arriving I would acquire the vicodin and cell phone. ( why didn't I Have this with me? )( better yet why didn't I have a e-perb? ) sleeping pad and sleeping bag, send a text message requesting a medical evac and a response confirming receipt. I would also send the message again from the top of the ridge ( probably the best position for a signal ) separating him and the camp on my way back to his position. At his position I would give him a vicodin now and one every 12 hours, cover him with the sleeping bag, build a fire, and do whatever I can to ease his discomfort until the cavalry arrives.
    You started down the right path, stopped. Turned down a rabbit trail, then got back on track. You missed covering a couple very important items as far as your friend is concerned. Go back to your first action, stop and think if there is any thing else you could or should do for him.

If you mean setting the leg, I ain't qualified to do that. I would probably do more harm than good. I dont know. Sounds like a pretty bad break.
    Stephen K. Wood

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sorry for the ?
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

klkak, if the time is 10:00am and about 20 minutes ago you heard a single rifle shot, then took off to check your friend, and the camp is about 2 hours away, so far 2 hours passed traveling there, then wouldn't the time then be 12:30pm not 12:30am?, with at least 4 hours of light left?
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Sniper View Post
    If you mean setting the leg, I ain't qualified to do that. I would probably do more harm than good. I dont know. Sounds like a pretty bad break.
    Then you my friend have just pointed out an area of your survival skills that need's some attention. It is good that it was realized here where no one suffers as opposed to in the bush under adverse conditions. You may end up saving someone's life in the future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    klkak, if the time is 10:00am and about 20 minutes ago you heard a single rifle shot, then took off to check your friend, and the camp is about 2 hours away, so far 2 hours passed traveling there, then wouldn't the time then be 12:30pm not 12:30am?, with at least 4 hours of light left?
    I reckon that would be considered a typo. I will correct it now. Thank you for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    Then you my friend have just pointed out an area of your survival skills that need's some attention. It is good that it was realized here where no one suffers as opposed to in the bush under adverse conditions. You may end up saving someone's life in the future.
    I would say you have a point.
    Stephen K. Wood

Having that extra 4-5 hours of daylight makes a big difference in my plan of action, and the weather conditions I'll be dealing with.
    Thanks for correcting that.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Blog Entries

My pleasure

Ok - here's my shot at it.

The first thing I need to do is get to and help my partner. Since he’s conscious, call out to him to reassure him that help is coming. He’s injured, probably in shock. The blood, what is it from? The print in the snow on top of the blood….did he shoot a deer and give chase – stepping in a blood spot? Did he injure himself prior to falling? I figure it was a shot at an animal since he knows that 3 shots would be a signal for help. What other injuries does he have?

Now – how to get to him? Using my 15 ft rope, make a loop or anchor around a sturdy tree. Attach my paracord, using a bowline to the loop around the tree. Although rappelling with paracord is not ideal, it will support my weight. Facing up the hill with the cord between my legs, run the cord around my right hip, across my chest and over my left shoulder. My right hand is my belaying hand, while my left is my uphill hand for steadying me. Slowly “walk” down the slope.

Now I have to determine the extent of his injuries. He’s conscious and breathing. Talking to him – asking questions. He takes some sips of water. He’s an experienced outdoorsman and understands his situation. Checking for head, neck and back injuries – I find none. I find some minor abrasions, but not serious bleeding. There appears to be no discoloration in his lower leg, and he still has some feeling in it – internal bleeding is probably at a minimum. Gotta set the broken leg. Using my folding saw I cut some limbs to be used for a splint. The splint will extend from above his knee to below his ankle. Secure the splint with the duct tape. If shock was at a minimum before setting the leg, it is probably increasing after. Make him as comfortable as possible with him on his back and his legs slightly elevated.

Gotta keep him warm and protected from the elements. Insulate him from the ground using moss and limbs. Construct shelter over him using plastic and tree limbs and moss. A quick lean-to with the back of the shelter on the windward side. Now get a fire going for warmth. Once it’s going, using larger limbs and logs build a reflector to direct heat toward him. Make a small pile of fuel that he can toss onto the fire as it starts to die down. (keeping him occupied will help stave off shock). Also make sure his rifle is within his reach.

Now back up the slope. Getting dark on my way back – use headlamp. At camp – call for help. Gather gear and head back to partner. Continue calling for help as I get higher on the hills. Success…… When I get back to slope, lower my gear down (additional rope was not listed, so I use the 550 cord rappel line I had previously set up). Get down to partner – he’s weak and still in a lot of pain. Make sure he drinks water – give him some pain med. I stoke the fire and stand watch over my friend until help arrives.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Note: thought about making a Swiss seat with one ply of the twisted rope, using the other two as an anchor. Time being what it was and darkness quickly approaching, opted for what I felt was a quicker way down.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Crash, Very well done. It's obvious you put an effort in to figuring out a solution to this challenge.

You covered the ABC's in treating your friend. Of particular importance was splinting the leg, insulating him from the ground, treating him for shock.

When you mention "Gather gear" I assume you mean things such as; sleeping bags/pads.

In this scenario your friend is not portrayed as having a head injury or allergy to narcotics. In the real world I would caution giving someone a narcotic pain reliever unless it belongs to that person and/or you are reasonably sure that person does not have a head injury or an allergy to the medication.

Considering the location of the island. It would likely only be a matter of a couple hours until help arrived.

Blog Entries

I guess these scenario's are so tough for almost everyone on here, that very few will even try. Please excuse me for making them too challenging.

Everybody's gotta remember - survival ain't about being easy. Don't be afraid to jump on in. If you make a mistake, so what - you can learn from it. If you don't make a mistake - others can learn from you. Either way it's a win im my book.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, I guess I have to not read the responding posts until i figure out what my response to the challenge is. the problem for me is that i was never very good at the theoretical... thinking through the situation on paper seems to be a stretch. The next challenge posted, if there is one I will submit a response.
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Blog Entries

L.B. I posted an advanced scenario. You are welcome to submit a response to any of the scenario's.