Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Neighborhood Awarenes, Preparedness &Emergency Rescources.(N.A.P.E.R.)

Blog Entries

Cool "Neighborhood Awarenes, Preparedness &Emergency Rescources.(N.A.P.E.R.)

Okay, you're laughing your backsides off at "The Colony," but what are you doing for your neighborhood? How far does your "preparedness" extend? If you want to keep your neighbors away from your door after an emergency disaster hits you're either going to have to keep your stuff hidden, or encourage your neighbors to have their own stuff! How would you go about it? Any ideas?
    Last edited by Sarge47; 08-23-2009 at 03:27 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    This just in, Squirrel arrested for impersonating Superman. Police spokesman quoted as saying: He's just nuts!"
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I hope that squirrel has one great lawyer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
    I hope that squirrel has one great lawyer.
    I've assigned Anthony to his case.

W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Great idea Sarge the only way I can think of getting a community together for preparedness is through a church, city, county function.
    Ken seems a little squirrely on this topic.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

I moved into my neighborhood about 6 years ago. and the first thing I did was plant a garden. Being as it is I live in a urban area, no one else had one. So I took it upon myself to offer fresh veggies to some of my neighbors. Alot of them took interest and planted gardens of their own. The next year, it became a competition. Any more the wife trades canning recipies with many people on our street. In short... Educate and prepare them, and they wont need yours.

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by samurai steve View Post
    I moved into my neighborhood about 6 years ago. and the first thing I did was plant a garden. Being as it is I live in a urban area, no one else had one. So I took it upon myself to offer fresh veggies to some of my neighbors. Alot of them took interest and planted gardens of their own. The next year, it became a competition. Any more the wife trades canning recipies with many people on our street. In short... Educate and prepare them, and they wont need yours.
    You got that right!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Sarge - TDW and I started a neighborhood watch program. We meet several times a year, have a phone/e-mail tree, look in on each other from time to time, watch each others property when they are away, encourage/help with disaster/emergency planning. I don't advertise what I have accumulated as part of my preparations. I do discuss preparedness with neighbors and help them develop a plan.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

In his study, The Efficacy of Home Security Measures, Dr. Timothy O'Shea found those neighborhoods that have a neighborhood watch group are less likely to be targeted than those without. He also found that neighbors who actually visit each other are less likely to be victims. Burglars know that when cohesion exists within a neighborhood setting their actions will be more closely scrutinized and reported so they avoid those areas.

Like SS, I was the first in the neighborhood to have a garden and it sort of grew from there. Now several of the neighbors grow their own food. We let each other know when we'll be away for a while and watch out for each other. As a result, we're pretty lucky that we have very little crime in our area and, when something does happen, it's generally kids.

Like Crash, I haven't shared with any of the neighbors what I have stockpiled. I doubt anyone is going to be knocking down my door trying to steal any of my wares but if they should try, I'm a pretty persuasive guy. I'll offer 12 reasons why they don't want to do that. Or 9 or 45 or 38 or 357 or.........
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Now here's a question.. what can you do when said neighbours don't want to know? Most of the folk in my village are wealthy average house price in the village is £500,000+ (no I don't own my house, I rent) . I'm not sure whether it's because of their wealth, but they seem to be under the impression that they have an immunity to any ill befalling them. Remember the power cut a few weeks ago? Some still think it's up to someone else to provide for them.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I don't think you can do much to affect a change in attitude. If they choose to be ill prepared then they will be ill prepared when something happens. Seeing that one house lit up in the midst of darkness is a pretty motivating example, however.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have talked to 2 of my neighbors that I trust. The rest, well they have their darling little gangbanger kids and their griends that they think they need to protect and well I just don't want them thinking that I'm going to feed them in a crisis. I also have friends that live close by but not in my neighborhood, they will bring their stuff to our house as we have the room and large garden.
    I know what hunts you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't think you can do much to affect a change in attitude. If they choose to be ill prepared then they will be ill prepared when something happens. Seeing that one house lit up in the midst of darkness is a pretty motivating example, however.
    You would have thought so, but no. I was talking to a neighbour yesterday about whether they had taken my advice and got a lantern and a small cooker and no they hadn't.... wasn't it up to the power company to make sure there was no break in supply?? I despair, I really do!
    So no, no-one knows just how far along my preps are or what I've got and sadly that's how it's staying.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

The only "preparation" that I have advertised is the fact that we have an old Rotary Dial phone, they work when the power goes out. That only to a couple of people who might need medical attention, an elderly neighbor and her Daughter and a single mother with a teenage son. I haven't prepared all that much since we are just getting started on this so, so far I don't have to worry about that aspect. but since we do get tornado's and such I figured letting them know about our old phone was something that might help them in such a situation.

Wychwood - sometimes the only thing that will change the attitude and mindset of some folks will be to experience loss, discomfort, or disaster. Sometimes it may be too late for them, and sometimes they will not change.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Yup you're right there Crash. Personally I'm happier knowing I'm prepared.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    We meet several times a year, have a phone/e-mail tree....
    Christmas card list?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I doubt anyone is going to be knocking down my door trying to steal any of my wares but if they should try, I'm a pretty persuasive guy. I'll offer 12 reasons why they don't want to do that. Or 9 or 45 or 38 or 357 or.........
    2dumb is trying to break into your house at this very minute. What number are you going to choose for him?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

This should keep em away
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.