Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: would you eat it

Quote Originally Posted by hope View Post
    Please...PLEASE....Don't take my, word because I don't know much about wild edibles. I only know that I loath Cow Parsnip, because it is so pervasive here, and can cause third degree burns or death just from it touching ones skin, or inhaling the smoke if it is burning.
    has that happened to you hope?
    from everything i have read and expeineced from cow parsnip is that the only time the dermatitis can happen is if you cut it open and get the juice on you, i regularly handle parrnip but i dug it up and use the root, but burning is no good same as poison ivy
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Nice pics Claypick, those do help.

WE, a few years back we had a supposed breakout of Cow parsnip here and the media made it sound like all you had to do is be downwind of the stuff. I can't say for sure I've ever seen it, but I'd have to think in all my years roamin the fields and woods I'd have at least brushed up against it by now.

i've heard that about giant hogweed, but i've got lots of the parsnip in my pastures, i personally have not had a problem

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    has that happened to you hope?
    from everything i have read and expeineced from cow parsnip is that the only time the dermatitis can happen is if you cut it open and get the juice on you, i regularly handle parrnip but i dug it up and use the root, but burning is no good same as poison ivy
    No, Happened to my neighbor, They had to fly him to the Seattle Burn Center. On a Sunny day the little hairs on the stem can cause severe blisters, like severe sunburn. People get in big trouble mountain biking on single tracks over grown with Cow Parsnip on a sunny day.
    I have regular small burns, several times per summer, when I bump into it by accident. As I said I loath the stuff.

i have heard of some folks being photosensitive to it, i was handleing it long before i read about it causing blistering, and like i said from my expeience it doesn't happen to me just from handleing it, may have to try cutting it open, and then also have jewelweed close by

Blog Entries

One edible that will cause skin burns is a variety of taro root (colocasia esculenta) known as the inhame (pronounced: een-YUM) that grows on the island of Sao Miguel in the Azores. The inhame thrives in the semi-tropical Sao Miguel climate, and in the first photo is seen growing in a marshy field located immediately after the confluence of a cold fresh water stream and a very hot volcanic spring.

Both the leaves and the corm (the bulbous plant root) are edible, but require careful handling, due to the presence of high levels of calcium oxalate. When boiling the potato-like corm, two changes of water are recommended to remove most of the calcium oxalate. Consumption of poorly cooked inhames can lead to severe gastrointestinal problems.

The cooked corm is generally a pink-gray color, and is pastier in texture as compared to a potato. The taste is that of a nutty and more earthy-flavored potato, and is quite delicious.

Unfortunately, poor Ken must avoid these plants due to the high calcium oxalate content, which promotes kidney stones.

Inhames growing in the Azores. I walked on this wall in 1992.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The raw uncooked inhame alongside the cooked inhame.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by Ken; 08-16-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: root, not stem
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

OMG. people read this ken actually posted something useful, well after 5,149 attempts i guess it was bound to happen sooner or later

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    OMG. people read this ken actually posted something useful, well after 5,149 attempts i guess it was bound to happen sooner or later
    Sorry. I had a moment of weakness.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

The title asks "would you eat it"? If you gotta ask the answer is... NO.

WE, I think it was Giant hogweed now that you mention it. To us newbs they all look and sound the same.