Thread: Solar Power in the Wild?

I use a Silva Solar 1 when I thruhike. It's not going to power your laptop, but it'll recharge 2 AAs, enough for my miniDV camcorder.

http://**************************.html
    Last edited by Sarge47; 10-24-2007 at 04:49 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Quote Originally Posted by volwest View Post
    I just bought the "I SUN" Battpak...from ***********.com)

Powers in with AC, DC, And solar.
    Will power most portable electronics like GPS, laptop, phones, PDA's...etc...and recharges up to 10 batteries (AA/AAA)
    Am I wrong or is *********a spam website?
    Last edited by Sarge47; 10-24-2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Spam
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Default Charles

Hey, I've considered living permanently in the woods, and I felt that solar alone wasn't necessarily the best solution for me. It might be different for you, depending many things, but I decided if I ever did it, I would also use wind power, in collaboration with solar energy. Wind turbines can be purchased that are small enough so as to only cost 500$, and they'll keep you off the grid.

OR, if you're a handy-man, you could try to make your own. Just make sure to set it up in a place where there are no mature trees to break your wind.
    There's an example of someone who did. http:*******************

It's just another alternative, just throwing out some ideas.

Charles.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 10-24-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Spam

I think Sarge is going a little nuts with the URL censorships. Far be it for me to change the topic of the thread, but some URLs are helpful and saves a couple minutes googling... which produces the exact same link.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

While think solar power is good there are hand generators avaliable for when there is no sun and the wind generators are a good idea but $$$.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

I have a couple Isun solar panels for charging my AAA, AA, C, D batteries. I just got a small set up off Eo-buy 5hat charges my AA 4 at a time and it was cheep.

Solar works but for dependability a crank charger is a must have. I do not plan on living out in the wilds. I got them for the just in case times. I have a hand crank system for my cell phone and solar adapters for the rest.

GPS? Is that some kind of new fangled compass with a built in typo map? Just kidding.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Thumbs up

My cabin is passive solar. I do have a Brunton roll up Solar mat that does a fine job charging my camcorder batts. and a hand crank charger for times when the sun is not around (most of the winter.) I made my crank charger from a 1hp machine motor I traded for at a second hand shop.
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.