Thread: A.T.

Default A.T.

Would like to hike a day or two on the Appalachian Trail.

Can't decide on North Georgia or Tennessee/N. Carolina Smokey Mountains. Any suggetsions tips, etc... Best part of the trail, time of year (would like to go during late fall), let me know. Thanks-

I guess I'll ask what shape you are in. The Georgia part is uber hilly. Some serious up and down hiking there.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Pretty good shape. I train MMA/Jiujitsu so I would say I am in real good shape.
    I was reading that the Smokey Mountain section can get pretty packed throughout the season and you can only camp in designated areas, not good.

I think upper north carolina is the best area. Southern virginia is good to. Upm near greyson highlands is beautiful. During the early summer is great because all of the mountain laurels are blooming. It also might be kinda cool to go when the through hikers are going through. The smokies are nice but, like you were saying, the crowds are horrible. They are not bad a few miles out of the campgrounds and roads though.
    Pickin' n' Grinnin'

Banned

Getting off the beaten path in the Smokies is grand, you will not have to worry about running across too many folks in the high ridges because all the yankee's stick to the trails? Take your .44 - GPS - gear - rations and camp where you like.
    There is vast expansions and the peak foilage will be about the third week in Oct. this year + if you run up on the village idiots (rangers) your just another lost hiker trying to survive the night ;]

The southern regions of the AT and the norther regions of the AT are the most rugged. The central portion through the Shenendoah Valley is a nice pretty walk, a lot flatter than either end. Good foliage along all of the AT beginning in September in Maine and going southward through the end of October in Georgia. You are not talking about through-hiking, only a couple of days on a portion of the trail, so any part of it (when at its respective peak color) is spectacular. Be Careful in Maine after about the middle of September because cold comes in quickly and surprises a lot of hikers. The north Georgia mountains get full color around mid to late October and it is still good for hiking with few weird weather phenomena except for rain. Trail maps and general AT information are available at: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...active_Map.htm

Check the .44 unless you have a CCW and the state honors it or you're willing to take the risk. The National Parks carry is sort of in limbo at the moment....as I understand it. The law was signed as a rider to the credit card reform bill but won't take affect until 2010. Even then, state law is the governing law. You'll most likely be passing through several jurisdictions so know the law in each if you intend to carry.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

High ridges off the beaten trail????

I don't really want to go past the smokies. It is an 8 to 9 hour drive to get there from here so any farther of a travel would be miserable.

Try the section in GA that covers Blood Mt. If I remember correctly, it starts in Unicoy state park.
    It's beautiful!
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Even if you are in good shape, I would start easy at first. Hiking in rugged terrain is different than the sidewalk and stairs where the ground is paved and even. There is quite a difference, as you may discover.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Remember guys, he said hike a day or two, not the entire AT.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

ThankS guys.
    Ya'll are lot of help.
    I am in great shApe.not sidewalk shape. I train MMA and BJj. If you know anything about the training it is tough. I am more worried about my Dad.

How rough of a hike and how long is the Bloody Mountain hike?

4400 feet and lot's of scree. The Georgia mountains are pretty brutal. Google it. You'll find tons of info on it.