Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Living Off The Land Permanently

Blog Entries

Part of the rockies
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

Pack horse, after arriving I'd sell everything I didn't need (car and what nots) take that money and get my pack hores and supplies (take some good wilderness survival books along) and trek out till I lost everyone, more than twenty miles.
    NOTE OF CAUTION*** Otay you need to be a very experienced survivalist to attempt this knd of living, it will be rough, I mean stomach pain hunger dying in the wilderness rough, if you fail.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

If you got the money Tom Brown Jr. has a school in New Jersey, called Tracker school and several really good books. I'd try his classes they are really great.

Quote Originally Posted by Otay View Post
    at least a year to 5 years maybe more but definately not less that I do this. I want to get some real hands on training in tanning, butchering, and maybe meet up with a native american who can make clothes out of hides, and of course immersing myself in survival knowledge.
    that sounds a lot more realistic than some of what I've read on here. I'd also suggest to anyone trying this, read up on log home building. It looks real sexy in the movies, but most log cabins over the last couple of centuries...quite a bit draftier. There's some serious learning attached to doing a good job and some modern day improvements to the construction process that are worth learning. There's plenty of info out there on all of these subjects.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

for a nice warm shelter, that last about a year, and is easy to build ,, i once dragged 150 bails of hay into BLM,
    stack them into a 2 room form, with a mud room,,,,
    put a lot of poles on the roof at an angle, and covered them with plastic,, then took about 5 bails, open them up and though them all on the plastic roof, then thought a camo tarp over the whole thing,, drag a small pot belly up there, and enjoyed a warm home for about 9 months,, then i pulled off the plastic ,, pushed all th bails into the center, and lite then up for a nice big bon fire, not to hard to clean up.

Have you ever notated that people very seldom move very far off a trail when they go out for a hike you can be right under their nose and no one would see you IF you look like you fit in.. when you go to town be clean very clean!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smok View Post
    Have you ever notated that people very seldom move very far off a trail when they go out for a hike you can be right under their nose and no one would see you IF you look like you fit in.. when you go to town be clean very clean!!!

Yeah, that's why I keep that squirrel outfit handy. I slip that on and it fools them everytime. If some kid points out the six foot squirrel to his parents, I just roar and they run away crying...that works too.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

I like to dress as a giant 6'4" tall skunk and go around farting if someone notices keeps the bad element away... lol...

i am having such a hard time finding a place to go practice! everything is very far possible not even in my state. i dont know what to do. its like i stay here, or a take a deep end plunge across the country into the wild, which is the only route considering im ****ing done with society

Blog Entries

It looks like you are going from one extreme to the next. You don't have to go clear across the country to hit mountains, you have them about 6 hours away. They are called the Appalachian mountains and many of us here live at the base of them.

Funny, looking at the "where ya from" thread, alot of us foothill Appalachian dwellers here, running right up from South to North.

In S. Ga. there are a few Nat'l forests that you can venture into. You don't have to go deep into the swamps either.

Here are 3 National forests in Florida, take your pick. http://goflorida.about.com/od/florid...al_Forests.htm
    Last edited by FVR; 11-20-2007 at 06:48 PM.

Default double e...once again you ain't gonna like this

There's a lot you can learn from experienced people in these forums partner, and you seem to be soaking it up pretty fast too, but there's one thing I think you need to learn and the only place you're going to pick it up is out there in the bush....patience.

I can certainly appreciate your point of view about having had enough of "society", but know what? It isn't going to get that much worse or totally collapse in the next little while. Keep practicing where you're practicing, make longer trips out of it, when it's time for you to make your move, whether it's the Rockies or the Appalachians or anywhere else, you'll know and you'll be ready.

And if you think Mother Earth and her minions won't teach you patience, try sitting on the edge of a half frozen swamp just after a nice October rain waiting for a moose to peek out from behind a bush, knowing that getting that shot is esential to having meat for the winter. Better not have shaking hands when you squeeze that trigger too....

You'll get there and it'll have been worth the "wait".

national forests are highly regulated. if i go into there with weapons and fire? free ticket rto prison. ive explored ALL the woods in my area and most of the time i have run into trouble or WILL soon. all maintained by govt or state people

Blog Entries

So honestly, where are you going to go out west? It's all gov. land. If you had friends with private land, you would be there already.

On one thread you talk bad about those who hunt, the next thread you don't want to go to a Fla. national forest because you want to shoot your pee shooter.

If you had a hunting license, then you could legally take game with a variety of firearms or traps during the regulated seasons. That is what most of us do.

You seem to throw up barriers all over the place.

Primitive living be it for survival or for a hobby takes work. To me, it seems that you just keep coming up with excuses.

Guess, I'm just being an as shole again.

No FVR I get the same-thing from explodingearther too wishy washy ... explodingearther you need to stop and rethink what you plan to do.. do not just give up on this world and go live in the hills come and go with 1 or 2 of us . This e-mail is not enough we well help teach you but for now on going off to live by your self you need some teaching OK ????

FLORIDA: Trespass while in possession of a firearm is a felony punishable by imprisonment for up to five years and/or a fine up to $5,000. A person who knowingly propels or causes to be propelled any potentially lethal projectile over or across private land without authorization also commits felony trespass. A potentially lethal projectile includes any projectile launched from any firearm, bow, crossbow or similar tensile device.

not to mention arson.

Blog Entries

Florida has over 150 public hunting areas. Of that, over 70 have camping areas. Those camping areas vary, but there are some that allow camping throughout the area, or in the designated camping spots.

I live across the street from a WMA in Ga. Right now, deer season is in throughout the state, yet at the WMA the deer season is only two times, 4 days each. The rest of the time it is small game season.

Now, I hate this, but it's the way it is. I can walk over there and and hunt small game and hogs and camp if I want to. They are not allowing fires right now as the draught has put the kybosh on that.

There is a year round trout stream in the WMA. I want to trap or spear fish, but alas, the regs say that is illegal. So, I walk back and find pools that hold fish. I study how I can isolate the pool so that if I needed to spear a fish, I could. Then I throw a little spoon in the pool and coax one into biting. Then I will make a little fire (when allowed) and cook it right up.

Survival skills are what "you" make of them. Unfortunately, in this day and age, we must follow gov. regs even though we may not agree with them. The days of walking off into the wild and doing what you want are basically over. Oh, you can do it, you will be breaking fed. laws and like those who have done this, you will either be hunted down and taken to jail or killed in a shoot out in some remote hill country somewhere.

Survival is knowing your environment and determining what you can and can not do in that environment to survive.

Most National Forest land is wide open for hunting and camping with in the laws for game and respect for fire. Here in WV there are plenty of wilderness and national forest that are always open.
    Get out in them everglades look for some clubs get a canoe for your first set of outings you can carry more stuff until you can refine your skills. (Just do it.)
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by HOP View Post
    Get out in them everglades look for some clubs get a canoe for your first set of outings you can carry more stuff until you can refine your skills. (Just do it.)
    That's what I'm trying to tell you too double e, all the things you want to charge off and do, you're not near ready and yet you don't seem to want to take the steps to prepare yourself.

Guns? Are you trained? Have you ever shot a live animal? It looks a lot easier on video than it is, all those hunting/shooting videos are edited to not show you all the things that can go wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    That's what I'm trying to tell you too double e, all the things you want to charge off and do, you're not near ready and yet you don't seem to want to take the steps to prepare yourself.
    Guns? Are you trained? Have you ever shot a live animal? It looks a lot easier on video than it is, all those hunting/shooting videos are edited to not show you all the things that can go wrong.
    Not to mention edited to fit a time frame, and skinning an animal the first time can tricky, nix the gun thing too many people depending on guns, do it easy with a knife and your kit and just go out and keep trying till you get it, if I had the everglades here I'd be gone for days and wouldn't take a gun.
    As said: Just go do it. Things take time to learn but you can't learn until you try, and failing is not failure if you learn from the mistake.

Blog Entries

Those videos, LOL.

They don't show the work, after the shot.

Tracking - if needed.
    Fiel dressing - aka gutting.
    Skinning - if needed.
    Butchering - the easy way.
    Transporting - I wonder what so and so is doing today, this here hog looks alot bigger now.