Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: log cabin

Question log cabin

i need some help with my winter cabin its in a wooded area at the end of my field and would like some advice on how to build one,its somwhere to retreat when the wife starts nagging and the kids get on my nerves ,i dont want a palace just somewhere that draft free and dry im even thinking of having power there toso i can just kick back ans unwind.

Cool.

I love log cabins.
    There are different ways to make them, with very simple tools.
    If you have some cash, maybe you can look into having logs pre cut and pre dried delivered on site and just assemble.
    Many companies offer logs.
    I am sure you can find some books about it or online.

good luck

Mato.

Find a copy of " How to Build your HOME in the Woods" by Bradford Angier, to start with. Then buy a few more to study before you even start a log cabin.

Mischief

Obviouly the key to a well built log cabin is the logs. You can keep them totally round or you can square the top and bottom edges so that they sit as flush on each other as possible. Second is the chinking between the logs. Then how do you want to roof it? Windows? Door/doors? How big do you need it to be? Is there a lumber mill nearby that you can get logs from or have your logs squared at?
    I know what hunts you.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

You start with logs of course and unless you buy what kind of timber do you have on your property that you plan to use? Need to know that first.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

MMhmMmmm

Are you going to build a log cabin from trees that you drop or are you looking to build one with store purchased items? Or from a kit?
    Mountain Man

Do you have a winter cabin in place already? If you do why not fix it up?
    You will learn alot from that experience.....
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------

i have a stand of tall 40ft pine trees at the end of my property and belong with the house i bought 10 years ago we have only just finished referb on the house and im looking for a winter retreat ,there are about 200 trees in the stand most of which are about 10 inch diameter in the center is a small opening thats where i want to build my cabin.

Bore da Wilf123, at least it is here

Two links that may help Wooden ways is a site that has classes in devon they may be able to direct you to classes that are closer to you.

www.woodenways.com/site/html/students.html

Foxfire Book series has one that has a section on log building. I don't have that one, I do have others and like them.

http://www.amazon.com/Foxfire-Book-D.../dp/0385073534

Just found this site it looks interesting and should be helpful.

http://www.logbuilding.org/index1.html

The way the notches are cut is important. A neighbor had to push the bottom of one log wall back in place. The logs are 13" squared from about 1830. We aren't sure how it slipped off the dry laid stone foundation. It could have been frost heave. When we get a lot of wet weather followed by extreme, cold we have problems.

The contractor thinks frost heave may have disturbed the foundation causing a 15 ft+ section to fall in. This allowed the bottom log to sag loosening the corner and over time the wall worked out about 8" at the bottom. The contractor said the notches were a bit shallow and may have been a contributing factor. If the foundation didn't fail it would have been fine.

Hwyl
    have fun
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

If you plan on using that stand of pine trees to build your cabin in that center clearing - by the time you're done your cabin may be in an open field.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I believe the trees should be cut, peeled and left to season for a time. An excellent video on how to build a log cabin is called Alone in the Wilderness. By watching this documentary you should be well on your way.

Wink Building a Cabin. . .Some Basics

First thing to do is to determine how big of a cabin you want. 10x10, 10x12, etc. How high you want the side walls, the pitch of the roof, what type of roofing system you will use, etc.

The side walls should be at least 2" higher than your height. So, if you are 6' tall the side walls should be at least 6'2" high. The pitch of the roof should be no less than a 3 - 12 pitch (Must consider snow load).

Now, on to the logs. . . .

10" dia. logs are awfully big for building a small retreat cabin, (A 6 or 7" dia. log is the optimum size for a cabin) and if the trees are 40' tall you could easily cut them in to 10' or 12' sections and get 3 - 4 logs per tree.

As stated earlier, they have to dry or "season" for at least a year before you can begin to build. The best time to cut the trees is in the fall when the moisture content is low. This will also help expedite the drying process. So, if you cut them this fall you could begin to build in the spring of 2011.

You need to learn how to cut proper saddle notches in the corners of the logs and the logs will have to be counter stacked (fat end to narrow end).

These are just a few of the basics to give you some food for thought. . . .
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Have you considered keeping those woods an just biulding a hut of pine limbs and mudd... Might be rewarding. It is what I am gonna do....
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

nice to see another welsh man on here even if he lives else where he will always be a welsh man

life is not a game no continues,no saves and only one go per person

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stairman View Post
    I believe the trees should be cut, peeled and left to season for a time. An excellent video on how to build a log cabin is called Alone in the Wilderness. By watching this documentary you should be well on your way.
    Yeah, I saw that a few years back and it was a real good docu-flick.
    I built me a 8x8 out back in 2004 with all 2x4's and 1/2" OSB, trimmed out the inside, have 1x8" swing-out windows with all the luxury of home -electric with TV-DVD, 'frig, carpet, front porch and a 8x8 lean on the back for wood and the 4-wheeler.
    This little "Man-Hut" cost me around $600.

Quote Originally Posted by wilf123 View Post
    i need some help with my winter cabin its in a wooded area at the end of my field and would like some advice on how to build one,its somwhere to retreat when the wife starts nagging and the kids get on my nerves ,i dont want a palace just somewhere that draft free and dry im even thinking of having power there toso i can just kick back ans unwind.
    This book has a great section on how to build a log cabin, it also goes into how to build the fireplace. I wouldnt call it a tell all book, but it is full of good information.

The Foxfire Book, 1972, Anchor. ISBN 0-385-07353-4
    Here is the link to there website.
    http://www.foxfire.org/magazine.html
    Last edited by Moirlend; 08-11-2009 at 05:39 AM.
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

How much room do you have?
    Seems that you would need to cut down most of your trees to build a cabin of any size.
    I guess it would help if we had a little more info on have your looking to do.

I had always wanted a log cabin, myself, even though they are one of the most high cost, high maintenance type of building you can build.

After a long search, of plans, kits, mills etc, we finally decided on a cabin pre-built by the Amish.
    Built on their farm and trucked to my site.
    Ours is a 26' X 40' w/8 ft porch the length of it.
    The prices started a About $15000 US fro a 18 X 30'

I wouldn't guess that y'all have Amish in Wales?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nice place you got there Hunter63.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks we like it.
    Lots of work, though, needs constant care, and of course, the work is never done.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Now that would be my dream come true. I helped two buddies build log cabins back home with a portable sawmill and trees from their lots. It was hard work but a lot of fun. Once you get the hang of it they go up fast. A lot of maintenace with the chinking and stuff but it's worth it.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...