Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone like Zippos?

Default Anyone like Zippos?

I dont carry one as an EDC... Dont even carry one into the field but they do have a few nice features.

1. The can be lit and set down on a flat surface. (hands free operation).
    2. "Windproof".... kind of cool

They have some serious downsides too. Short fuel life without the little closed fuel insert. And a little heavy I suppose.

Anyone else like these American classics though? I dont smoke, but like to carry one around. The sound and smell of the fuel reminds me of my dad. He smoked for a LONG time (no longer does thank goodness). But the sound of one opening always reminds me of dad.

I have 3 of his old ones... Two from ships he sailed on and one from his long time employer Rockwell International.

Then I have the plain old one my sister gave me a few years back.

Used to carry one but as you say the damm fuel evaporates out. The nice thing is if you have a shiney one you can use it as a signal mirror.
    I know what hunts you.

I've got about a dozen laying around someplace from my smoking days. I don't carry them with me or have them in my kits. There are better options IMO.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I just got one as a Miller Beer promo.
    Been a long time since I have had one.

Was just good to see a product that was still "Made in USA".
    Now I have to practice the one handed, "flip move", open and light with the snap of the fingers.
    Was the ultimate of "cool" many years ago........remember? ( well, maybe not)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have a zippo (3rd or 4th in a series) that is special built for lighting my pipe. The best I ever had!
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Used to carry one but as you say the damm fuel evaporates out. The nice thing is if you have a shiney one you can use it as a signal mirror.
    a zippo is a bunsen burner , lamp, torch, hand warmer, signal mirror, flint, and
    world famous!!!
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

used to carry one but same results as most with fuel leaking out, no use, although i still have two of them and two fuel containers and keep them in one of my totes that would come along if bug out was the only option left, as gene says they do have there uses but only if you are using them on a daily basis
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Heck yeah!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duj_g0WuQF8

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I just got one as a Miller Beer promo.
    Been a long time since I have had one.

Was just good to see a product that was still "Made in USA".
    Now I have to practice the one handed, "flip move", open and light with the snap of the fingers.
    Was the ultimate of "cool" many years ago........remember? ( well, maybe not)

I didn't / don't smoke. So, it was a dry every time I tried to use it. If Bics and other methods didn't exist then yea, I'd have it ready.

I like zippos, but just for the novelty. They smell good and look cool. Other than that, it don't last long.

I love zippos. My Grandpa always used to use one to light his pipe. I still love the smell of pipes. I watched this whole show on how they make zippos, and I realized I have to get one. I'm kind of just looking for one that I like right now,and then I'll buy it. I love that they're wind proof.
    "When we get people who are more concerned about reading the rights to an Al Qaeda terrorist than they are with protecting the United States against people who are absolutely committed to do anything they can to kill Americans, then I worry"-Dick Cheney

They are maybe one of those "last American" things. Like I said, I hear one... I think of my dad!

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Groove View Post
    I love zippos. My Grandpa always used to use one to light his pipe. I still love the smell of pipes. I watched this whole show on how they make zippos, and I realized I have to get one. I'm kind of just looking for one that I like right now,and then I'll buy it. I love that they're wind proof.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    used to carry one but same results as most with fuel leaking out, no use, although i still have two of them and two fuel containers and keep them in one of my totes that would come along if bug out was the only option left, as gene says they do have there uses but only if you are using them on a daily basis
    I do use mine daily. to store one keep it empty until needed. the hand warmer and fire flint is most useful "use" if you dont smoke cigarettes or cigars. they are bulky as a pack item. a "bic" is a more suitable storeable. the cotton inside and flint...perfect even with no fuel
    Last edited by erunkiswldrnssurvival; 08-08-2009 at 12:50 AM.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

While the Zippo is a fine lighter, I prefer the IMCO lighters. I have both the Triplex and the Slimline lighters by IMCO, which are made in Austria. I like the fact that you can remove the wick/fuel reservoir and use it as a match to light fires and the fact that they are 1/3 the price of a Zippo and all or more the quality.

http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=23672.0
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_c View Post
    Very cool, now that's what I'm talking about!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yes,I love the zippos. Fuel does evapourate rather quickly but if I'm out back I carry a small vial of fuel anyway . JA
    Loyalty and family, it is one and the same.

Hey Jack - when you get a chance, Zipp(o) on over to the Introductions and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

I like them for their "Cool" factor,, But, they leak fluid on my leg when full,,, A bic is more convenient...

I've carried a Zippo all my life and I keep one in my pocket and one in my larger kit. They do need fuel in another bottle but I have also used all kinds of flamable liquids in them when I ran out. In the cold you have to warm them up in your pocket, The hinge pins wear out after a few years and all mine have been replaced with bailing wire. I carry half a dozen extra flints in bottom of lighter and a spare wick but have never had to replace one yet. The wicks just need to be pulled up after a few years of use. I was given a camouflaged one that I lost. I found it a few years later laying right in the open laying next to my truck at work. After several winters laying out side I filled it with fluid and it worked good as new. The one I carry every day I've had for 20 years and I have to cuss at it from time to time but it always works. A dozen bics or a box of book matches would be just as good and last as long as a zippo with a small bottle fuel. Not much difference to me between the three. I don't care for stick matchs, they take up to much space and don't like the cloud of sulfer they emit when used. They seem to popular with people I've gone mining with but it always works that after annoying me with breathing sulfer for a couple weeks they run out and me and my zippo become the most popular person in camp. Other fire starters just seemed silly to me so I have not used them.

Banned

Remember the Natives on Gilligans Island ? "We trade you one eternal flame (zippo) oh,, and one can eternal lighter fluid" LOL