Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plant identification help

Default plant identification help

please forgive me for the poor quality of some of these photos. im generally not this bad of a photographer but i was using the camera on my phone which is pretty hard so the focus and depth of field will be sort of shoddy. im also finding that plants can be hard to take good pics of when the background looks the same as the foreground (mental note: bring backdrop)

im trying to reference them elsewhere but just thought id try and tap all the resources i could
    thanks for any help you can offer.

i am 99.99999999% sure this is mullein. can anyone help confirm this?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

total unknown

ive got some guesses on this one but im not sure enough about any of them

this one has a couple in it. the low laying, spread out weed and the plant egg shaped leaves and small white flower

total unknown

im wondering about the yellow flowers which i think are attached to the simple toothed leaves

any ideas?

im pretty sure this is the same as the plant in an earlier picture with the other small leafed flowering plant. is it chicory? too low for prickle lettuce...

this one was the hardest to get a good shot of. im wondering about the plant that is closest to the camera

a berry of some sort??

another berry?

another gross photo sorry. i wondering about the plants with the long tall stalks that have the white flowers at the ends.

thanks for taking the time to look through all of this
    Last edited by oneraindog; 05-27-2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: mistake in html

Default Natures Toilet Paper

Back in the early 80's as a Royal Ambassador for Christ (Baptist Boy Scouts) I learned that the plant in pic#1 is Natures Toilet Paper. Works Great!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I would call #1 lambs ear, maybe I'm wrong, maybe that is a common name.

#7 looks like a parsely family to me, not parsely, but a relative (carrot etc).

#5 looks like japanese knotweed, incredibly noxious weed. But edible I hear. Also called false bamboo by people who don't know what real bamboo looks like.

#4 is either spurge, an edible, or the spurge-lookalike that is poisonous whose name escapes me. Thanks to Rick I've learned that spurge does not have white sap when broken, so break that, and if the sap is clear, it is spurge. Good for salads.

#3 looks like young thistle to me.

Great photos, even with your camera being your phone.
    Turtle Clan/Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Check both sides of the leaf in 1 if your gonna eat it!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

#1 - I agree. I think it's Mullein. I'd like to see the flower stalk when it pops out but I think it is.

#2 - Looks like Shepherd's Purse

#3 - Prickly Lettuce.

#4 - The smaller stuff might be Mountain Watercress but I'm no expert on it. The big one might be Chicory but I need to see the flowers and know if the sap is a milky white.

#5 - I'm going to say Japanese Knotweed but the joints don't look quite right.

#6 - Marsh Marigold or Cowslip (same plant)

#7 - I have no idea.

I'll look at these some more tomorrow.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Chris - I think you are thinking of Purslane. Purslane has yellow flowers but the sap is clear. That's some good stuff. I spread a bunch of Purslane seed all over my property last year in hopes it will come up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Check both sides of the leaf in 1 if your gonna eat it!
    check both sides for what? poo? haha
    but seriously. what am i looking for?

thanks everyone for the feedback. this is great.

and i fixed #13 sorry
    Last edited by oneraindog; 05-27-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oneraindog View Post
    thanks everyone for the feedback. this is great.

and i fixed #13 sorry
    The pictures are taking too long to download on dial-up, so I haven't seen all of them, but:

#13 might be dock.

1. Mullein if it is fuzzy on both sides of the leaf.
    2. Shepherd's purse
    3. prickly lettuce

#5 is Japanese knotweed. It makes an excellent "rhubarb pie" when the shoots are very young...almost indistinguishable from the real thing in both taste and texture.

I'll take another look at the others later.

#6 may be a violet. I thought all violets had violet colored flowers, but I looked in a book and saw two that had those types of leaves and the exact looking yellow flower: Redwood violet and goosefoot violet. The leaves seemed shinier in the book, though, so I don't know.

#14 may be False Lily of the Valley
    Last edited by lanahi; 05-28-2009 at 08:05 PM.

I haven't identified anything yet, but I did come across this on line field guide. If someone had posted somewhere else I apologize for posting again. It looks like it would be a good resource.

http://www.enature.com/home/indexNew.asp
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Chris - I think you are thinking of Purslane. Purslane has yellow flowers but the sap is clear. That's some good stuff. I spread a bunch of Purslane seed all over my property last year in hopes it will come up.
    Right... purslane is the good one with clear sap. spurge is the bad one with white sap.

Quote Originally Posted by oneraindog View Post
    check both sides for what? poo? haha
    but seriously. what am i looking for?
    Seriously - key in "natures toilet paper" in your browser. Your pic #1 is Mullein and it is great for wiping your butt. Not a pretty part of survival butt if you don't know what to use, you better bring some Preperation H in your bag of tricks.

Although mullein is soft, I have heard that is causes a rash. I don't know if it is true but I wouldn't want a rash down there if I could avoid it.
    Pickin' n' Grinnin'

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman View Post
    Although mullein is soft, I have heard that is causes a rash. I don't know if it is true but I wouldn't want a rash down there if I could avoid it.
    I've never gotten a rash from it and haven't heard that before...if it was really mullein! On the other hand, some people are allergic to odd things including maybe that.

The seed stalk sent up in older plants with the yellow flowers produce seeds that when crushed can be thrown in a still pond. Any fish there would be momentarily paralyzed and rise to the surface where they can be quickly scooped up. (The paralysis doesn't last long). They are safe to eat. Haven't tried it, though.

Mullein is also an important medicinal plant for lung congestion.

Mullein is a pharmacy! Tea can be for congestion or coughs, and the flowers make a stronger tea. You inhale to vapors from the tea. You can also smoke it for the same reason. I got that from Tom Browns field guide to edible and medicinal plants. Great book to have but it is not good for identification. It has no pictures. For ID, peterson guides are best.
    Pickin' n' Grinnin'

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman View Post
    Mullein is a pharmacy! Tea can be for congestion or coughs, and the flowers make a stronger tea. You inhale to vapors from the tea. You can also smoke it for the same reason. I got that from Tom Browns field guide to edible and medicinal plants. Great book to have but it is not good for identification. It has no pictures. For ID, peterson guides are best.
    I like Tom Brown's skills books and also Euell Gibbons. Neither are good for identification, like you say, but they are both inspirational and educational. I have more than one field guide, Peterson's being one of them. I have a few just for more local or regional edible plants as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeman
    You can also smoke it for the same reason.
    Is it me or does it seem a bit counter intuitive to smoke anything for lung congestion? Or for any reason for that matter.

It's just you. *cough, cough, cough* Well, OK - maybe it's not just you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel