Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honey

Default Honey

So I hear that natural un processed honey has great uses. Does anyone know of any of them?

Obviously in cooking/flavoring - probably only limited by imagination in that arena. Honey can also be used as an antiseptic on cuts and abrasions.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

If you pour some on your car tires, you can do a really cool burnout. jk. I think while you're out gathering your honey, you would come across many uses of oher parts of a bee's life. the wax can be used as a finish on forged items, such as knives, and the stings (apparently) can be used to cure different diseases without the use of antibiotics. Personally, i'll take the pill, rather than be stung by a bunch of bees thanks.

So I hear that natural un processed honey has great uses. Does anyone know of any of them?
    Nope, nope, nope.....not gonna do it......not gonna say a word!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Nope, nope, nope.....not gonna do it......not gonna say a word!
    Well there is that, but we do have that PG-13 rule and all.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I had some uncles that had bee yards when I was a kid and none of it was "processed" as I recall. They had a centrifuge that they would place the frames in and spin it out, then place it in 55 gal drums, then they sent it out to Sue bee honey IIRC. but all the honey we got from them was natural. I don't know what kind of processing the company did before they sold it.
    I worked with them a time or two and only got stung ocassionally. we used a smoker before we did anything with the hives.

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

Funny, I just started rereading this section today.. according to Cody Lundin's When All Hell... (I'll paraphrase) Honey is one of The Big Four (Whole Wheat, Powdered Milk and Salt are rest.) Besides as a sweetner, he discusses medical uses for wounds (helps healing and lessens scars), also used for burns, ulcers, diarrhea, liver problems, coughs, colds and the flu. And finally, hair conditioner.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Dang it, Max!! You covered 'em all. Now I don't get to play.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

HA PG-13 in my threads? Do we have ta?

Any way, wow Max, thanks a bunch. I really need to get that book.

Rick...With you wits I am sure you can find something else that it is good for...

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

Yeah, get the book, not only intelligent, but a real fun read. Between Amazon & eBay you get get a good used copy for 1/2 price.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Sounds good, I would like to read it. Sound as if it would be of some help.

Honey is probably one the most valuable sources you can find in the wild, I honestly believe. Not only does it absorb quickly into the bloodstream giving quick energy, it's a powerful antiseptic and increases the rate at which wounds and even scars heal (as mentioned above). You can actually minimize the rate of scarring and I've even read reduce the apperance of old scars. I was baffled the last time I went to the hospital and suggested using honey as an antiseptic, the uneducated nurse literally scoffed and told me "I don't know where you heard that from." I'm probably more qualified than that dumb broad was to do what she's doing. Medicine is a subject I'm very interested in, especially naturally derived. Also if you eat honey that has been made locally by bees in your area it will help to reduce the allergies that one may have by the local plants, in short it acts like a sort of anti-venom. Not to mention how delicious it is and it keeps for AGES. There are probably many other uses as well, I've heard of people letting it coat their throat to relieve strep throat, I wouldn't be surprised if the list goes on and on even beyond what has been listed in this thread. Honey is our friend and so are the bees that make it!
    You say the hill's too steep to climb. You say you'd like to see me try. You pick the place and I'll choose the time and I'll climb that hill in my own way.-Pink Floyd

Statements like
    I'm probably more qualified than that dumb broad was to do what she's doing
    will not bode well for your chance of survival in some situations.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

As a newbie, I'm starting with the basics.
    Honey on hot bisquits! MMMMM MMMMM!
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

As a newbie, I'm starting with the basics.
    Honey on hot bisquits! MMMMM MMMMM!
    2dumb, spread a thin layer of used motor oil on the bisquit before you spoon the honey on. The oil prevents the honey from sticking in your throat.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    2dumb, spread a thin layer of used motor oil on the bisquit before you spoon the honey on. The oil prevents the honey from sticking in your throat.
    I don't have a problem with honey sticking to my throat. If you have that problem, I can tell you how to avoid it. Take your bisquits and honey rectally.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

I don't have a problem with honey sticking to my throat. If you have that problem, I can tell you how to avoid it. Take your bisquits and honey rectally.

New "home" computer. Just got baptized with coffee on screen and keyboard. Compliments of 2dumb.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Who says you can't politely tell someone to stick it up their....well, you know. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Ken - isn't that what caused the last computer to fail - too much coffee on the keyboard?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Honey is a very old remedy often used in wounds, burns, and stomach ailments. Recently, a Canadian independent study claimed that certain types of honey out performed the strongest of antibiotics when used for treating sinusitis. I make a saline solution with a pinch of salt and baking soda and sweeten with honey to taste and use it as a nasal mister and it's worked well for myself and a few people I've shown it to.