Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long-term food storage

From the Very Well-known

Quote Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
    The reccommended way to store wheat is to put a little bit in a 5 gal. bucket, on top of that put dry ice and then fill the bucket up the rest of the way. Lay the lid on top but DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT seal the lid. In an hour or two come back and seal the lid (if the dry ice hasn't completely evaporated by this time don't seal the bucket till it has). Your wheat will keep 50+ years easily. I use to give classes on how to store foods for long term, so this is one area I'm fairly knowledgeable.
    How much dry ice is needed for this? And it would be nice if you can explain what it does.

The CO2 (dry ice) pushes out the O2 (oxygen). That is a pretty clever idea.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Just curious... if the dry ice is in the bottom of the bucket covered with wheat, how do you know when it's completely evaporated?
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."
    W. Durant

Sky it is on top of the wheat, read it again...
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I think you can put the dry ice on top or bottom. I've seen folks suggest it both ways. I haven't done this....just read about.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've always put a couple of handsfull of wheat in the bottom of the bucket and then set the dry ice on top and added the rest of the wheat. If you put it directly on the bottom of the bucket you risk possible cracking the bucket. I also forgot to mention leave a 2 inch head space in your bucket.

Question

OK, got all that. Top, bottom, probably doesn't matter too much. But... without opening the lid to inspect (which would defeat the purpose, IMHO) how do you know when the dry ice has completely "melted", so you can seal the container?
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."
    W. Durant

I would think if the bucket is still cold on the bottom then there is still dry ice in there. Once the ice has sublimated then the bucket won't be cold.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

On the canning idea before pressure cooking there was canning using wax on the topas a sealer
    anyone know if this is for longer than a winter or just for one winter

respect
    Daniel

Canning using wax is still done. I don't use it because it's not a reliable way to can in my mind. However, as long as the seal is good and creates a vaccuum it should be good for as long as any pressure canned jar.

Wow... memory surge... my momma used to can strawberry preserves and grape jelly with a wax seal on top of the jar. Never did it with anything but jams and jellies, though. I think it was a cost thing...wax at that time was cheaper than lids and rings. Come to think of it, she used non-standard jars to can the preserves, so maybe the lids and rings did not exist for those sizes of recycled mayonnaise jars. She was big on reusing jars, and only had a couple of them crack from the heating. She had basement pantry shelves full of empty jars (and some full ones) when she sold the homeplace, (they went with the house) and I wish I had them now. I never liked digging the wax out of the top, though, 'cause it always left little crumblies of wax in the preserves. Thanks for the diversion down memory lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Uh, you've never had a year old twinkie have you? Life should be about risks. As long as the inner icing isn't hard as a brick, have at. If it is hard then soak it in coffee first.
    I have a problem eating something that has a shelf life longer than I do. Twinkies fit that category.

Everyone should have that same philosophy. More twinkies for the kid that way.