Thread: Vitamin Supplements and Energy Drinks?

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question Vitamin Supplements and Energy Drinks?

I know some people use vitamin supplements and energy drinks on a regular basis.

How many include them in their survival kits or BOB's ?

I normally take a multi-vitamin every day while in the field, I don't always get to eat like I should. I hope it helps...

I see that these new energy drinks like "Five Hour Energy" are loaded with B-Vitamins and a little caffeine (no sugar). They're small (2 oz. bottles) and easy to pack.

If you have any experience with these, please share it with the rest of us. I would like some input from other people. Thanks!
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Blog Entries

I have a few "energy shots" and energy bars in my pack.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

They work for me. I use them while I'm working around the house.
    Last edited by Ken; 08-04-2009 at 01:13 AM.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I carry multi's and usually some meal replacement bars that have a pretty good balance of proteins, carbs and vitamins.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't use either. There is no guarantee that what you think you are buying is actually what you are buying. While FDA oversight is no guarantee either, I think any oversight is better than none when it comes to putting stuff in your body.

I would think you would have to be in the field a week or more for nutrition to become an issue. As long as you are eating something in the freeze dried or dehydrated line of foods or something like MREs, you should be just fine.

And...you can take too much of some nutrients like phosphorus, which some nutritionists say we already get too much of in our food as well as B6 that can cause nerve damage.

They make more sense to me for a BOB but only if there is a long term issue where proper nutrition would not be possible. Otherwise, I think taking them incurs some risk.

http://www.applesforhealth.com/Healt...misvitov3.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=88300&page=1

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/9_99/vitamin_abc.htm

http://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/M...multivitamins/

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/supplements/NU00198

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...-eat/vitamins/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks Rick... Very good links.

We hear so much about not getting the right amount of nutritious foods that it makes you wonder what you could do in a food shortage situation.

What about an emergency situation, where you have to push yourself. Is there any merit in using these kind of supplements?

When I was in the Marine Corps we used caffeine at times to keep us moving. It was hard on my nervous system and made me very anxious. It did work, but high amounts made me feel terrible. And I'm a heavy coffee drinker...

An overload of sugar doesn't do me much good either. Though I love my sweets. Actually I feel pretty bad when I don't get my daily fix of sweets. Too much of anything can't be good.

So is it worth carrying a few multi-vitamins, a B-vitamin booster, and a power bar for those times that things may get a bit tough?

As Rick mention, if you eat a proper diet you should be fine without them. Even if your short of food for a short period of time, your body can still function just fine.

So when is it time to pull out a bit of nutritional/energy boost? What to use - Sugar, Caffeine, B-Vitamins, Carbohydrates, or a Multi-Vitamin? What works best for you? When do you use it?

I know there's no firm answer to these questions but your experiences may help other in their search for the best energy booster.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pgvoutdoors View Post
    So when is it time to pull out a bit of nutritional/energy boost? What to use - Sugar, Caffeine, B-Vitamins, Carbohydrates, or a Multi-Vitamin? What works best for you? When do you use it?
    IMHO, the B-Vitamins and Multi-vitamins don't really supply a fast energy boost, although they will likely replace your body's reserves as you use them. If you generally have a good diet, you can easily go a few days once in a while without suffering any noticable vitamin deficiency effects. Nonetheless, a good multi-vitamin & mineral supplement is a good idea for most of us. Don't forget calcium and magnesium - most people don't get enough of either.

Caffine is a stimulant and sugar is a virtual instant energy boost. Unless you consume one large quantity or a steady amount of either/each, the effects will be relatively short lived. Both have a place when you need a high energy level or a "boost" for a fairly short period of time - minutes, not hours. Yet, I can fall right asleep immediately after drinking a sweet MUG of strong espresso - but that's just me.

Complex Carbs (breads and pastas) will give you a more gradual energy boost, but will last longer as they break down to sugar during metabolism. Good stuff for a long steady hike or a marathon.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Personally I try to stay away from the B vitamins, they make me HUNGRY like you wouldn't believe.I put on 3-4 lbs everytime I've used them within a couple of days. I like peanut butter cups regardlees of brand. The caffeine and sugar in the chocolate give me quick energy while the peanut butter maintains it, providing a gentle "let down" instead of a "crash". I am of the thinking that a proper diet when possible is the best solution. Yeah we all want to lighten the load or minimize space but some things just can't be replaced/reduced any further.... YET!
    On the other hand if you thought a vitamin deficiency could be a concern, or if you are prone to certain things such as this then I WOULD suggest vitamins. You can even be poisoned by certain vitamins. The best example of this is vitamin A, too much Calcium or selenium can kill you rather quickly. I think that some wild edibles can cause problems if you aren't careful with them as well such as Wood sorrel because of the oxalic acid they contain. some can effectively replace vitamins like rose hips a good source of vitamin C. So to answer your question (I think). No these "supplements" have no place in my BOB or survival kits. The right choices in food however do.

Personally, I think harris is right on the money. Using energy drinks and other short term stimulants with certainly work in the near term but the crash on the back side of the energy burst is usually quick and takes you down further than you were before you took it. Not what you want to have happen. A steady supply of energy, IMO, is the better course and you can control that by what you eat....assuming you have a choice of foods.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    ....assuming you have a choice of foods.

W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Oh, yeah. Gotta love that raw fish. Mmmmmm.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Blog Entries

"Our training makes you a food safety warrior."

http://www.sushischool.net/consulting.php
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Oh, sure. That's what's on the brochure but what's really in the kitchen? Oh, Craaaaash!

Hey that's just more food! before I ever heard of "Sushi" I had eaten Raw fish. On a survival trip in Boy Scouts. Don't let your mind starve you to death.

Banned

I really like the 5 Hour energy shots I often work looooong hours and the B vitamins help keep your brain working well. There is a powder drink mix in the same aisle as Crystal lite that is an energy drink pretty much the same as the 5 H.E.S. they weigh almost nothing. Add them to a pint of water and they give you a decent pick me up in a hike. I put some in a pocket on my canteen holder.

I take a multivitamin. I try and take it anyways at home, and it gives me a little more comfort.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh, sure. That's what's on the brochure but what's really in the kitchen? Oh, Craaaaash!

HEY! Those looked like my pet rats/the other white meat/emergency rations!
    I know what hunts you.

That's scary SARKY you and I were thinking the same thing...

Default Vitamin supplements and energy drinks

Quote Originally Posted by pgvoutdoors View Post
    Thanks Rick... Very good links.

We hear so much about not getting the right amount of nutritious foods that it makes you wonder what you could do in a food shortage situation.

What about an emergency situation, where you have to push yourself. Is there any merit in using these kind of supplements?

When I was in the Marine Corps we used caffeine at times to keep us moving. It was hard on my nervous system and made me very anxious. It did work, but high amounts made me feel terrible. And I'm a heavy coffee drinker...

An overload of sugar doesn't do me much good either. Though I love my sweets. Actually I feel pretty bad when I don't get my daily fix of sweets. Too much of anything can't be good.

So is it worth carrying a few multi-vitamins, a B-vitamin booster, and a power bar for those times that things may get a bit tough?

As Rick mention, if you eat a proper diet you should be fine without them. Even if your short of food for a short period of time, your body can still function just fine.

I know there's no firm answer to these questions but your experiences may help other in their search for the best energy booster.
    My 2.5 cents worth:
    *If this was a real survival situation, the old military 'KISS'(keep it simple ___) is what need only apply here. I would ditch the supplements(less gear) and focus on more high carb, calorie dense foods. Depending on the length of your outing, you could actually prep your body's energy(storage) capacity(carbo loading, etc). Trail mix(gorp) example, m&m's + peanuts, the simple carbs of the chocolate digest(absorb) quickly thus delivering energy quickly. Then the complex carbs of the nuts take over where the simple carbs have departed, but the complex carbs last much longer. That was a brief example, because if you wanted to do it more healthy, you would supplement the m&m's with natural sugar like fruit(fresh is best, but dried is still better than raw sugar), the nuts are still ok.

*Caffeine, 'pop', etc are diuretics, basically they make you pee more, thus depleting your body of the water it needs for normal function, obviously bad for survival situations. That leads me to the supplement part above, as your body needs water for normal function, anything that places more stress on your body(extra unnecessary digestion i.e; supplements) is discouraged, especially in extraordinary situations, obviously survival. I'm not saying that you shouldn't take supplements, i'm saying that not in times when your body needs to rely on 'KISS' functions. If the 'energy' bar is full of vitamins & minerals, fine, but i wouldn't take them separately in 'priority' times.

I would start limiting your caffeine intake, yes we need a little, as we do salt(another subject i could ramble on about...but not unless someone wants to hear it). Because i'm new here, i haven't read the posts per hydration, which im sure there are. If you would like more info such as your BMR(daily energy expenditure needs), hydration, etc, let me know.

I have no argument with what you said. That's sort of my line of thought. As long as you have a food choice, use the food. Just my opinion.