Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I made fire!

Default I made fire!

Well, I got a little tender bundle burning, just to see if I could. I used a firestarter, from wal-mart(mag/ferro). For tender, I used a small piece of "natural fiber" rope. Just a bunch of un-twisting, gave me a nice little bundle. It took me about 5 strikes, on the ferro rod, to start the flames.

I thought, well heck.....that wasn't so bad. Then I had an idea! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Good for you!! Now experiment with different things and you'll start to see how the spark lives in various materials. Then you can start making your own fire starters. Pictures, of course, help us you know.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Well, I got a little tender bundle burning, just to see if I could. I used a firestarter, from wal-mart(mag/ferro). For tender, I used a small piece of "natural fiber" rope. Just a bunch of un-twisting, gave me a nice little bundle. It took me about 5 strikes, on the ferro rod, to start the flames.

I thought, well heck.....that wasn't so bad. Then I had an idea! LOL
    Im still working on trying to get a fire with nothing but a firesteel and NATURAL tinder... TOUGH for me. If I use magnesium or a patroleum soaked cotton ball life is good... but tough without those things! .

Good for you!

2D2K - did you scrape any of the magnesium?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

OK, my idea was a variation, of what I saw crash make. (egg crate fire starters)
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=5859

I used toilet paper rolls, (cut to between .5" and 1") saw dust, and wax. What I did different was, I put a piece of my "natural fiber" rope, in the middle, sticking out about an inch.(Like a candle wick.)
    To light it, I un-twisted the rope, making a little tender bundle, and it took me about 15 or 20 strikes on the ferro rod, to get flames.

I think I got the wax too hot, because it "wicked" all the way up the rope.
    Although this made it a little harder to light, I guess it would help keep it dry.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Big fan of the Bow method of fire starting (When I aint got lighters or matches and my knife has matches in it)

I also made a couple of these, but instead of using the rope, I used a cotton ball, with about half of it sticking out. This way was lit with 2 strikes on the ferro rod!

Yeah...OK, I was having too much fun, making a fire...in my garage.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Nothing wrong with that as long as it's controlled...or controllable. It's perfect to practice at home. If you have problems there it's no big deal. If you can't make a fire in the woods, it could be a big deal.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Dang...y'all were talking to me, while I was typing away.

Crash...no, I didn't use the magnesium.

Well....I may have scraped a little, while striking the ferro part, but I didn't scrape any on purpose...and none ahead of time. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Dang...y'all were talking to me, while I was typing away.

Crash...no, I didn't use the magnesium.

Well....I may have scraped a little, while striking the ferro part, but I didn't scrape any on purpose...and none ahead of time. LOL
    Since you're experimenting, make a small tinder bundle with your shreaded rope. Scrape a little pile of magnesium (about the size of a nickle). Hit the pile with a spark from the ferro rod, then touch the tinder pile to the white hot magnesium. I think you will like the results.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Nothing wrong with that as long as it's controlled...or controllable. It's perfect to practice at home. If you have problems there it's no big deal. If you can't make a fire in the woods, it could be a big deal.
    Yes, I keep things under control in my shop. I cut, grind, and weld in there, so I always think about fire...and have extinguishers close at hand! LOL

BTW, I learned years ago, that if you have a hole in your flannel shirt and enough sparks from a grinder hit it, you will set yourself on fire! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

BTW, I learned years ago, that if you have a hole in your flannel shirt and enough sparks from a grinder hit it, you will set yourself on fire! LOL
    It's better than getting hit in the face with a loaded paint brush.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Since you're experimenting, make a small tinder bundle with your shreaded rope. Scrape a little pile of magnesium (about the size of a nickle). Hit the pile with a spark from the ferro rod, then touch the tinder pile to the white hot magnesium. I think you will like the results.
    I saw that, the other week, at a gun show. That's where I got the idea of using the rope.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

You might like this, then. It's one I put together.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ht=rope+tinder

2d2kwit,

It is imperative that you do not wear flannel welding. I myself learned that the hard way. By the way do not roll your pants leg and best if your pants are over your boots. A self darkening helmet is the best thing they ever invented for my eyes. They have been burnt 4 times then again I have melted a few miles of metal!! Fun ain't it!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You might like this, then. It's one I put together.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ht=rope+tinder
    Thanks, I'll have to get some cotton rope, and try that. The rope I have is jute.(I guess) I cut a few 2" long pieces, and stuck them in my orange thingy, that keeps matches dry.

BTW, ...around here, Ace hardware has strike anywhere matches.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    2d2kwit,

It is imperative that you do not wear flannel welding. I myself learned that the hard way. By the way do not roll your pants leg and best if your pants are over your boots. A self darkening helmet is the best thing they ever invented for my eyes. They have been burnt 4 times then again I have melted a few miles of metal!! Fun ain't it!
    Haha...yeah, over the years, I've learned most of the don'ts!

I'm not really what "I" would call a welder, but having a race car, knowing how to weld and fabricate, a little, is a necessity.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

And Carhart coveralls are just a sinister trick that a corporation is playing on workers. If you ever have to sit in a tent splicing with a heater between you legs or have to knock off a led sleeve with lead dripping down on your Carharts you learn pretty quickly the term "hot". It sort of jumps on you all at once. Your Carharts will go from 35F to about 10,000F in something like 2 seconds. Anytime you see a phone guy rolling on the ground trying to get out of his Carharts you can figure he's a newby and just learned one of life's little lessons.

Nothing to see here folks. Keep moving. Nothing to see. He's just a newby.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That really is about how it feels.