Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Best survival radio communications systems....????

Simple, maybe. I should know my local answer to this, but I don't. Your answer is only a statistical evaluation. Do you monitor FRS and/or GMRS? If so, what channels/freqencies?

I have a GMRS license, maybe a joke, but I pay the bill and sign on/off. The family is 7(whith a quiet code which is really nice in public), high wattage on the radios. I, personally have a second RX without quiet.

Is any body else listening? I should contact some in the local ham circle, but haven't. I just got Mom and Sis on PTT.

Norms?
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

intothenew,

I have FRS and GMRS but I only use them for short range family type commuications. Don't get me wrong, they are great for that purpose and can get good line of site range.
    My wife is a General Class Amateur ao we use that for most comms. I also have CB's but they are stored.

What I can't comment on is who uses what up in Hope Alaska. I assume a combination of things. I know there are a lot Amateurs in Alaska. You don't have to know morse code
    anymore so you can just memorize the answers and get a license. My fellow Hams will probably shoot me for that statement. If you can afford it, get some stuff and store it
    back. You will of course need and antenna, radio and a cable to connect them.
    Your local Ham Club can help you out. If your out in the outback then I might be able to hook you up with some hams in your area. Some Hams are what is called VEC's They are
    the ones that give the exams.

If anyone has a Shortwave receiver that can tune in LSB (Lower Sideband) at 3.818 Mhz can listen to the prepardness group on Sunday evenings. I will try to link the website.

Been an Amateur for over 50 years now. Its fun. But use what ya got, I am not picky =)

Sparks

Guess it won't let me post the URL. Google taprn to get the website.

Here's a pretty comprehensive set-up that Ken posted a while back. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ighlight=radio
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I am on a Mountain and can see 50 miles. How much does a HAM Radio cost....???
    Depends on what you want. My dad just got his first level HAM license and he bought a handheld job off of ebay for about 60 dollars. Wanted to listen before he committed to getting the license. It is a transceiver and it picks up for over 60 miles. Depending on repeater locations, it may pick up farther than that. Its just a cheap model though, but I was impressed. I think it would be a good radio to put away in faraday storage since it is smaller. But I may be way in left field, I don't know a lot about HAM signals and such. Right now I have a handheld SW radio receiver and I am going to get a HAM radio as well. But you get what you pay for, ultimately.

I have a 40 channel portable CB radio that will reach about 4 miles or so and if I got up high it would probably reach a lot farther. I carry it in the truck so if my cell phone goes out, I can still call for help. A lot of people still listen to the old dinasaur CB!
    I think it would be surprising how many people would be on the CB channels if a catastrophic event ever happens because they are mostly powered by 12 volt DC, and a lot of people still have them stashed in the attic or garage. I also have a dashmount unit and antenna and could have it up and operating in short order.
    Last edited by Wildthang; 07-05-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

LOL, yeah I have one as well.....mostly used for listening for traffic conditions these days....had a pair but one died.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Question - Would it be best to be on a hill than a valley for good transmission and reception. Agree wit all bets are off. If there is no working government or other similar situations enforcement would be focused on priority situations or they may be taking care of their own families in a survival mode. Is that what you meant by all bets are off? Thank you!

Kat - It depends on what you are using and where you are. In many cases, ham radio has repeaters installed either on hill tops or atop towers. So your reception will usually be pretty good whether you are in a valley or on a ridge. Otherwise, citizens band, GMRS, FM, AM and cellular are "line of sight" radios so operating them on a hilltop or within a direct line of the transmitter is required.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i'm new with the whole communication thing too. my only comm gear consists of 4 gmrs radios with a ten mile line of sight range. are these worth keeping or should i ditch them for something more advanced?

I wouldn't ditch them - unless of course you want to send them to me. They may still prove useful for you in certain circumstances. If you have a need that they don't meet, then explore that and get what fills that need. You probably have more than one size wrench in your toolbox. Same principal applies for radios as far as I'm concerned.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hi...I seldom check in as I don't have Internet out in the woods. I do however have the following means of emergency (and general use) radios.
    (1) Amateur (Ham) Radio (FCC KC2GMH)
    (2) CB radio with Single Sideband capabilities (important feature).
    (3) FRS radio
    (4) MURS radio

While many people feel that communications are the least important item to worry about... I will most likely be safe and secure but sometimes OTHERS may need a helping hand due to a rescue situation. Worth considering...73 Mike

Any good all mode - all band ham tranceiver as it will cover both AM/FM/shortwave/and public service bands

CB? anyone

Quote Originally Posted by pgvoutdoors View Post
    I've used a few different radio setups for field use but a good HAM radio would be the best long range communications setup. As mentioned before a good radio, amplifier, and antenna would be required for a base station.
    You don't need the amplifier for the base station ! I've been a licensed ham since 1995 and have never run or owned an amplifier, and I run no more than 100 watts or less (most times 10 watts or less) and have talked to people all over the world and do on a regular basis. The idea that you need huge amounts of power is a myth, the atmosheric conditions and the antenna type makes much more difference than the power level does. On the HF bands, usually if you can hear them, you can talk to them even on low power. I have HF radios that run no more than 2 watts, run on AA batteries, will fit in a coat pocket, and use a simple wire antenna that will communicate around the world. I keep an entire radio station in a camoflage pouch made for AK47 mags that runs 2 watts and use it as my backwoods communications system. For more information, just google "QRP radio" and you will see tons of info on low power radio operation and equipment. Also, check out my website:
    Last edited by Rick; 02-13-2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Removed URL

Sorry. I had to remove the URL. You are not permitted to link to any site you have ownership in. You can place it in your signature if you wish. If you do, you can't reference it in a post.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Sorry. I had to remove the URL. You are not permitted to link to any site you have ownership in. You can place it in your signature if you wish. If you do, you can't reference it in a post.
    Thats an odd rule ? Not allowing it restricts members from gaining useful information. But rules are rules, so I do apologise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Thats an odd rule ? Not allowing it restricts members from gaining useful information. But rules are rules, so I do apologise.
    Put it your signature ......Like to check it out.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Put it your signature ......Like to check it out.
    OK, lets see if this works.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    OK, lets see if this works.
    For some reason my signature isn't working but I have the box checked to allow it in my post ? Anyone ogt any ideas ?
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp