Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Best survival radio communications systems....????

I'm not one to go against the law but you might be the only guy I know that is licensed for FRS. If you just want to get rid of them I'll take them but you don't have to have a license to operate them. I really don't know of anyone else that is licensed.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

FRS does not require a license in the US, and is restricted to .5 watt.

Linky
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

They are FRS/GMRS and do need to be licensed, to the tune of about $85 for a five year license.

Rick, since you responded first, you can have them. I don't want to send them before 6/20 because my license is valid until then and I would be responsible for any misuse (not that I think you would misuse them).
    I will contact you later as to where to send them.

FWIW, and I assume you have a GMRS license, a GMRS license is not tied to any particular radio. That is a license for you and your immediate family to operate on those particular frequencies.

If anyone else needs them please speak up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Here, right here.

Then you are welcome to them. I would take them but do have a pair. I just don't want to be a hog. If you don't have any then work out delivery with OP.

OP - thanks for a generous offer!!

In full disclosure;

I gave my three handhelds, one each to the varmints. I am now left with two bases, too heavy to carry afield. I have to have two more handhelds by October, hunting season.

See what a nice guy I am? I keep saying it and no one believes me. Besides, by the time I get done taking naps it will be well into August. That's my fiscal nap year. Then I have to start all over again.

I will salute the "Welcome to Indiana" sign, when I pass it, in your honor. I have to work in your brier patch for a few days.

I've never tried to pass a Welcome to Indiana sign. I'd suggest lots of mineral oil. Lots and lots of mineral oil.

It's not too bad, but certainly not as easy as a Welcome to Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia. Those are actually soothing.

Mil-Dot Firearms Academy Kosuki's Avatar

I have a CERT radio to dispatch, and getting my HAM licence for National/International Communication.

Question for the comms folks here....

I gotta turn this...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Into this.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Any ideas?

It is a Nexus AP-107....to a Motorola CP-200 2pin std.

I've seen the adapter before at a hog hunt.....but have no idea who makes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm not one to go against the law but you might be the only guy I know that is licensed for FRS. If you just want to get rid of them I'll take them but you don't have to have a license to operate them. I really don't know of anyone else that is licensed.
    I have one of these licenses. For the $85 you cover up to 5 radios. I have no idea whether enforcement is an issue, but I have the license if it ever comes up.

I think you are in luck. You'll need to talk to Gentex or a Gentex dealer. Gentex makes all sorts of adapters and they make one for the ICOM IC-FS3 radio that converts from the DP-200 to the AP-107. Ask them about part # 04C11880-2 and verify that it will do what you want but I think that's what you are looking for.

Here's a link to the IC-FS3. Look at the headsets and VOX on page 3 or so. They look like DP-200 plugs on the combined plugs.

http://www.expressautomation.com/App...4_brochure.pdf

Here's a brochure from Gentex that shows the adapter in the dual radio section (3rd from the bottom).

http://ps.imirage.com/psgentexpub/de...ookieSupport=1

Interesting thread.

I am an Amateur Radio Operator Extra Class. And have an FCC Radiotelephone License.

Sourdough, It depends on how far you want to talk to decide what you need. As someone mentioned during an emergency you don't need a license to transmit on any frequency. That even includes Coast Guard frequencies.
    Most radios now operate on 12volt dc like your truck or car battery. So all you need is a battery and a small charger in the cabin to make it work. It can even be a solar charger.

FRS and GMRS are great short range radios for communcations between family or party members. GMRS does require a license. FRS does not. CB radio does not require a license but is low powered when operated
    legally. Since you are on a hill and can see 50 miles, you could probably get out 50 miles with a good outside antenna.

Amateur has a vast collection of low power, medium power and high power. There are many modes of operation to include digital, voice, cw (morse code, witch is no longer required for a license) and video to name a few.
    You can get an Amateur Radio that will operate from HF (long distance operation) all the way up to VHF and UHF (short range mostly).

I will see if I can post some pictures of my Ham shack here.
    If anyone has any questions they can PM me.

Sparks
    S2010022.jpgS2010023.jpgS2010032.jpg

That's quite a set up Sparks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good GOOGLEYMOOGLEY !!!!! you got enough radios Sparks? Nice set up BTW
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

That beats the heck out of my old truck dash mounted CB radio and matchmeter, nice looking setup!